How to get more music for your DAW with Midi

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

davefk

How to get more music for your DAW with Midi

Post by davefk »

The internet is full of 'Midi files'. These files can be opened with your version of Mixcraft or, in fact, any other DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) that can import Midi files.

Treat a Midi file as a project file. As an example, you can download any Midi file from this page:

http://www.garyrog.50megs.com/midi1.html

Then, open it as a project file. Once opened, you should have several tracks which can be edited to your liking, and then saved out as a proper Mixcraft project file.

Even if you don't want to edit these files (for example: changing the instruments of the tracks or adding reverbs, EQ and compressors etc.) you can have a ton of fun just playing them back through Mixcraft.

Midi is a standard created in 1983 that allows midi devices (such as keyboards, synths and modules) to talk to each other, as well as allowing creators of midi files to work to a standard; for example, reserving track 10 for drums or Controller #1 for modulation. During the 80's and 90's, I worked extensively with the GM, GS & XG Midi standards to produce professional midi files.

https://www.midi.org/specifications

If you want to learn more about Midi there are tons of articles online, start here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI or here: http://www.midiworld.com

So, if you want more music for your DAW, try Midi. You won't be blown away by great sounding tracks, but with a little bit of work you can improve on how these tracks sound.

Finally, be aware that although these files can be found in abundance on the internet they may very well be copyrighted by a company or the individual who produced them. If you re-post these files online, then please give credit where it is due.
Last edited by davefk on Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Acoustica Greg

Re: How to get more music for your DAW with Midi

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for posting this, it should really help some people.

The killer tip is that you should always open .mid files as projects. This gives you any possible tempo markers along with other extra stuff you won't get if you open it with "Add Sound File."

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
davefk

Post by davefk »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Thanks for posting this, it should really help some people.

The killer tip is that you should always open .mid files as projects. This gives you any possible tempo markers along with other extra stuff you won't get if you open it with "Add Sound File."

Greg
No problem. I hope people find it useful. Yep, you are correct .mid files are best opened and not dragged into a project or blank project. Doing so will provide the correct speed, time signature and tempo markers from the file.

Plus, if the program change data is there for each instrument on a track, Mixcraft will load the appropriate instrument. If the program change is not there then Mixcraft should load a piano for each track or whatever you have the default instrument set as in preferences.
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Does drag and drop into MC 8 also remove any markers? I use this method to pull in some drum patterns. I will pull in the file and delete all but the drum(s) track and cut out what I want.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mab098157 wrote:Does drag and drop into MC 8 also remove any markers? I use this method to pull in some drum patterns. I will pull in the file and delete all but the drum(s) track and cut out what I want.
Yes, drag and drop is like using "Add Sound File," you'd lose track markers. Always use Open Project, unless you don't really care about the extra stuff and you just want the notes.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks Greg.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind