vst3 plugins does not get listet | Wish for the future: vst-plugins sortet after format/architecture

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

muster

vst3 plugins does not get listet | Wish for the future: vst-plugins sortet after format/architecture

Post by muster »

Hello mixcrafters,

the actual mixcraft version b408 doesnt recognize several vst3-plugins, vst2 no problem.
i added the location and did a complete new re-scan, but it does not get listet - for example sampletank vst3.

do you know about the problem or is a fix on the way ?

Many thanks
Br

+ edit:
it would very cool, if the plugin-browser could sort after 32bit/64bit and vst2 or vst3. i mean own categories.
for the moment i get a big list because of plugins that are more than one time in it.
Anorax

Re: vst3 plugins does not get listet | Wish for the future: vst-plugins sortet after format/architecture

Post by Anorax »

That's odd, Mixcraft 8 is loading all of my VST3 plugins. Did you give the VST3 files their own install folder or did you install them in the default directory?
muster

Re: vst3 plugins does not get listet | Wish for the future: vst-plugins sortet after format/architecture

Post by muster »

Yes, i changed it to "/Program files/VST3". Other plug ins in the default location get displayed.
I know what you mean, i have to try the default way, but i was too lazy to re-install and install it again because of a fresh new system :cry: many thanks for the hint, will try it next days.
I ask me where is the difference. If that would be the case, we have found the spot that would need a fix.
steelstring

Post by steelstring »

The default path to VST3 (64bit) should be: C:\Program Files\Common Files\vst3.
In MC8 I only have to specify VST2.
muster

Post by muster »

but why ?

where is the great difference between "/Program Files/Common Files/vst3" and for example a sample path like "/Program files/VST3" - if i add it to the library ?
isnt every path allowed ? why i can locate the pluginpath and add it to the library, do a re-scan but it never works if it is not the standard-path ?

or im wrong and missunderstand some fundamental things of addressing plugin location in the plugin browser?

i will install it next time in the "common"location, ok. but it still does not make sense to me (the option for alternate paths)
steelstring

Post by steelstring »

The path \Common Files\vst3 ist set automatically by the installation routine of the plug vendor.
If you have the option of installing VST2 & VST3 you only have to set the path for VST2.
As said - in MC8 I only have to set up VST2 (and every VST3 is showing and starting up with one single exception)
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

If I understand Mixcraft correctly, you should not include the (non-standard) location of your VST3 plugins in the list of plugin locations. That list is only for VST2 plugins. Mixcraft would scan the location but would not find anything because it is only looking for VST2 plugins.

As others have said, the location of VST3 plugins is hard-wired in the VST3 standard. Most DAWs, including Mixcraft, won't use VST3 plugins that are located anywhere else. This is a major difference from the VST2 standard.

Hope this helps.
comedians

Post by comedians »

Most DAWs, including Mixcraft, won't use VST3 plugins that are located anywhere else.
Not quite so in my experience, I have all my vsts in custom folders for vst32, vst64, vst3 etc.

As long as you include the path to your folders in the plugins manager I can see no problem where you put them.
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

comedians wrote:
Most DAWs, including Mixcraft, won't use VST3 plugins that are located anywhere else.
Not quite so in my experience, I have all my vsts in custom folders for vst32, vst64, vst3 etc.

As long as you include the path to your folders in the plugins manager I can see no problem where you put them.
Interesting .. I'd like to know how Eric and Greg respond to the OP's problem.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

comedians wrote:

The issue seems to be in the VST3 documentation: While some VST3 plugins play nice with having their location being something other than %programfiles%/Common FIles/VST3</subdirectories-are-allowed>, others not so much. The reason is that the VST3 documentation heavily recommends that VST3s be installed to %programfiles%/Common FIles/VST3 and nowhere else. VST2.4 doesn't really have this issue, but some VST3 plugins do.

At least we're not working with .aax, am I right?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The VST3 standard calls for all VST3 plugins to go into this folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\

That's where Mixcraft looks for VST3 plugins.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
muster

Post by muster »

great,thank you all for your replies! that enganged me.
i know now what to do in the future if a vst3 does not show up in the list, "common-path".. 8)
still a bit blur, but my main question is solved. didnt knew the immediate background before. you cant never know enough. like you wrote before: some plugins outside that location - no problem, some - great problem.

only to give it a push: if the plugin-browser could have subcategorys or a function to sort and display after x32/x64 and vst2/vst3 and so on - that would be great! :)
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

muster wrote: ... only to give it a push: if the plugin-browser could have subcategorys or a function to sort and display after x32/x64 and vst2/vst3 and so on - that would be great! :)
You can get part way there by using the Collections feature in the Plugin Manager. Also, if you have both VST3 and VST2 versions of the same plugins installed, you can disable the formats you are not using in Mixcraft. This is also done in the Plugin Manager.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You can organize you plug in collection into subgroups by type or pretty much whatever you wish to create if that's what you mean.
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/mixcraft_8_help.pdf Pg. 307

I find that since I have lost that when updating a few times and since my most often used plug ins are often in flux and ever changing......
What generally works best for me is to remove what I never use, disable what I seldom use and pare the collection down to a reasonable size, then largely the "recently used" function serves its purpose well, combined with the use of a mixing template.

Of course everyones use is different and that doesn't really apply specifically to heavy VSTi users.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page