punch in/out recording question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

LeesKeys

punch in/out recording question

Post by LeesKeys »

I'm brand new to Mixcraft and pretty new to DAWs in general. I have a midi track I've recorded and want to punch in/out to replace the last two measures. I've activated punch in/out. I want to be able to hear the original recording up to the point that I punch in, at which point I want to only hear what I'm playing for the new recording. As it now stands, I'm hearing both the old and new in the punch in section. How do I mute the original recording when I punch in?
davefk

Re: punch in/out recording question

Post by davefk »

LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

Thanks, the video was helpful but I'm still not getting this working. If I select "take" or "replace" as my recording option, the track is automatically muted. The only way I seem to able to hear the track is to select "overdub", which is not what I want. https://photos.app.goo.gl/o9Htt7PeMiqIMwxl1
davefk

Post by davefk »

LeesKeys wrote:Thanks, the video was helpful but I'm still not getting this working. If I select "take" or "replace" as my recording option, the track is automatically muted. The only way I seem to able to hear the track is to select "overdub", which is not what I want. https://photos.app.goo.gl/o9Htt7PeMiqIMwxl1
I don't think there is a way to do that with midi. I've been trying to duplicate what you want and as you say it works perfectly using Overdub but it leaves behind the original recording/data.

You could use overdub then split the track where you need to get rid of the unwanted data,then move the new data from the lane into the lane above then delete the second lane, or you could duplicate the track then use 'replace' record mode on the duplicated track using the first track as a way to 'hear'. Then once you have your part recorded, just delete the first track....

Long winded? Yes, but I can't see another way of doing what you want with this software as it stands...
FlyingsCool

Post by FlyingsCool »

In the original lane, if you click in the middle of the track, there is a white line in the center which allows you to create points on it and control the volume of the track in real time as if you were moving the volume slider as the track played. Click on the line at the point where you are punching in. That will add a point. click again right after that and drag the second point to the "bottom" of the track image (-20 dB IOW, no volume) right underneath the first point. Then, since you said it's the last two measures, go to the end of the track and select the end point on the line and drag it to the bottom (or create two more points at the end of where you are punching in and set them appropriately). This will basically set the volume of the lane to zero from your punch in point to the end. A lot more words than it actually takes.

You can see where I removed some extraneous talking on some of the mic tracks circled in red. It works on MIDI tracks, too.
LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

Actually, the process works fine now that I understand a little more about what I'm doing. Newbie error! Thanks for your help. :)
davefk

Post by davefk »

LeesKeys wrote:Actually, the process works fine now that I understand a little more about what I'm doing. Newbie error! Thanks for your help. :)
So please share your method.... Thanks :-)
LeesKeys

Post by LeesKeys »

Well, I simply followed the instructions this time. :lol: Works for midi and acoustic tracks!
davefk

Post by davefk »

LeesKeys wrote:Well, I simply followed the instructions this time. :lol: Works for midi and acoustic tracks!
Oh right, yes that works, but even that's a bit long winded for such a simple task. :D