Key Signature

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

williamwoody

Key Signature

Post by williamwoody »

I am changing the key of a song, and am running into some issues. Everything I am discussing here pertains to MIDI.

1) Changing the global key (next to the metronome and master mix) transposes the drum sounds, which are atonal. Is there a way to exempt them from this process?

2) While changing the global key does result in the SOUND of all the notes being shifted, it does not change their placement in the piano, step, or score annotations. Also, the key signature in the score tab remains the same. If I try and change the key signature of a given instrument, it ONLY changes the key signature for that track, that section of the song played by that midi instrument. Surely there is a way to globally change the key of the entire project AND change the key signature in the sheet music, while transposing the notes to their proper place, simultaneously?
FlyingsCool

Re: Key Signature

Post by FlyingsCool »

1. I'm no expert, but it is my understanding that drums need to be tuned, and they are tonal
2. As far as changing the key signature, from everything you describe, it is working as designed for good reasons. If you're looking to change the note of the midi file, I'm betting there are external tools available to shift the key of a midi file. I don't know if there are any internal tools for shifting a midi file globally.

Here's one I found with a quick google search. I don't know anything about it nor am I promoting it, I just included it for example http://www.skytopia.com/software/midi/
outteh

Post by outteh »

You can exempt the track containing the drum midi by selecting don't adjust to project key in the track settings. The reason the drum sounds change is because the key change moves notes up or down the scale and moves the notes out of sync with the drum map. You can also test if changing the key in the track setting effects the notes on the piano, step and score. If it does, then you would need to adjust each individual track key to effect changes. :D
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Whenever I've discovered clips in the wrong key on the drum track, changing the key to that of the project never alters the component that's being played - at least not that I've noticed.