Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

rrichard63

Controlling plugins from the channel strip

Post by rrichard63 »

I would like to be able to adjust a handful of selected plugin parameters from the mixer channel strip, that is, without having to open the plugin interface. Users could be given the option to have these controls instead of the built-in Hi-Med-Lo EQ. If each were concentric, you could get six continuous parameters in the same screen real estate. The user could control (most of) any three-band semi-parametric EQ she happens to like from within the mixer -- or assign the knobs to any other plugin(s) she chooses.

You already have a framework for assigning these controls to plugin parameters. Add a column to the parameter control dialog, in between "CC" and "Reverse", where the user can select control 1-N. In my fantasy above, N=6 but it might some other number in a different channel strip layout.

I should note that I don't find the built in EQ useful, and keep it hidden by default.
rrichard63

Re: Routing MIDI data internally

Post by rrichard63 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: ... You can currently route MIDI from one virtual instrument to another, you can route MIDI from a track to an effect, and you can route MIDI from one track to another, but the feature request would be to record the MIDI output of a plugin. ...
Yes, I should have written "record the MIDI output ..." Sorry for the confusion.
rrichard63

Re: MIDI clip management

Post by rrichard63 »

rrichard63 wrote:This has already been mentioned several times, but I would like to add my vote.

For my desired workflow, I need a MIDI clip librarian. Or at least a file system browser with MIDI preview (either the default piano sound or a drop-down menu of sounds). ...
Actually, the preview function should use the instrument on the currently selected instrument track. If no instrument track is selected, or multiple instrument tracks are selected, then either display an informational message or use the default piano sound. I don't know why I didn't see it this way a year ago.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 8 does have a file browser that allows you to browse MIDI files, but there's no special preview function, because that would require the MIDI data to be interpreted, and how it's interpreted would make a huge difference. Remember that MIDI files can contain multiple tracks, so that really complicates things. For an example of how it might work, use Windows Media Player to listen to MIDI files. Sometimes you'll get some really funky results.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: ... Mixcraft 8 does have a file browser that allows you to browse MIDI files, but there's no special preview function, because that would require the MIDI data to be interpreted, and how it's interpreted would make a huge difference. Remember that MIDI files can contain multiple tracks, so that really complicates things. ...
Generally speaking, when browsing a library of MIDI loops you have a specific instrument in mind to play them. That VSTi would, generally speaking, already be on an instrument track, which you can select. If you are browsing MIDI loops meant for something other than your selected instrument, that's your problem not the software's problem.

That's why I wrote in my post
the preview function should use the instrument on the currently selected instrument track. If no instrument track is selected, or multiple instrument tracks are selected, then either display an informational message ...
I see three problems: (1) the 16 different channels in (some) MIDI loops, (2) the variety of drum mapping protocols that are out there, and (3) CC, pitch bend, modwheel, etc.

(1) Loops with multiple channels aren't all that common, unless they are exported from, for example, a notation program. You wouldn't need a browser for those because you would already know where to find what you are looking for.

(2) Most MIDI drum loop libraries use General MIDI mapping. If you have a bunch of others, or your drum instrument doesn't follow this standard, then you need a note remapping plugin -- which you would need even without the preview function.

(3) For browsing and preview purposes, it might be best to discard CC, pitch bend, modwheel, etc.

I admit that this needs thought and planning. But I continue to feel that it would be worth the effort.
Ris

mixcraft 8 problem

Post by Ris »

Respected Sir/Madame

I am having problem in mixcraft 8
I have downloaded complete setup
(Around 600 mb) and it doesn't include
Loops please help. Although it is occuping
Space around 1.3gb on my hard disk.

Thank you
Topcheese

Re: mixcraft 8 problem

Post by Topcheese »

I'm not sure how many "loops" it installs to the hard disk, but you need to be connected to the Internet to access their library loops. You can download them to your hard disk.
Here is a link for MC 7, it should be the same. I'm not the expert with it, but I hope this helps.
https://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v7/h ... brary.html

Ris wrote:Respected Sir/Madame

I am having problem in mixcraft 8
I have downloaded complete setup
(Around 600 mb) and it doesn't include
Loops please help. Although it is occuping
Space around 1.3gb on my hard disk.

Thank you
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Correct, the download doesn't include the loops. They are downloaded as needed when you select them from the library.
If you use an offline computer for your DAW, as Topcheese indicates- you can do a one time download of the entire library to an online computer and transfer, or there is a disc version available. If the disc is desired, I would recommend contacting support via the link at the top of this page.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

I came from Traction Waveform, and they have the feature. Yeah I loved it and hated it, because it used the systems default soundcard, so every thing was a piano sound. Like Greg says, it was exactly like using the Windows media player to audition sounds.
I don't know, maybe if you had a special default Soundfont setup for it to use might work. It seems like when you go to browse the system, you could select the one you want to audition the sound with, like one GM compatible?
Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Mixcraft 8 does have a file browser that allows you to browse MIDI files, but there's no special preview function, because that would require the MIDI data to be interpreted, and how it's interpreted would make a huge difference. Remember that MIDI files can contain multiple tracks, so that really complicates things. For an example of how it might work, use Windows Media Player to listen to MIDI files. Sometimes you'll get some really funky results.

Greg
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

Very nice program, I would like to be able to audition midi files, and it would also be nice to have some composition tools incorporated in the performance panel. Where you can layout different progressions, with perhaps some default "presets." :shock:

I know how easy and fun you want to make the program. Professionals balk at it, but it seems to be all the rage now. Yes there are other tools out there for that, but MC Pro is so complete, I'm just trying to think outside the box. You know where MC has absolutely everything they need.

Edit: Not that it isn't already easy and fun, make it more so if that's possible. :D
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Topcheese wrote:I came from Traction Waveform, and they have the feature. Yeah I loved it and hated it, because it used the systems default soundcard, so every thing was a piano sound. Like Greg says, it was exactly like using the Windows media player to audition sounds.
I don't know, maybe if you had a special default Soundfont setup for it to use might work. It seems like when you go to browse the system, you could select the one you want to audition the sound with, like one GM compatible?
When I am searching my file system for MIDI loops, I have a specific synth or VI already instantiated on an instrument track. I want to be able to preview loops in that instrument without having to drag and drop each one onto the instrument track. If a specific loop sounds wacky when played by that specific instrument, that tells me exactly what I want to know about that loop. It's a feature, not a bug.

I know that I am repeating myself now. I apologize for that, but I fear that I am not being understood.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

rrichard63 wrote: When I am searching my file system for MIDI loops, I have a specific synth or VI already instantiated on an instrument track. I want to be able to preview loops in that instrument without having to drag and drop each one onto the instrument track. If a specific loop sounds wacky when played by that specific instrument, that tells me exactly what I want to know about that loop. It's a feature, not a bug.

I know that I am repeating myself now. I apologize for that, but I fear that I am not being understood.
Hi,

Even if the MIDI file had 25 tracks? You'd still want them all to be played by the instrument in the currently selected track?

Greg
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Even if the MIDI file had 25 tracks? You'd still want them all to be played by the instrument in the currently selected track?
In an earlier post, I wrote:
(1) Loops with multiple channels aren't all that common, unless they are exported from, for example, a notation program. You wouldn't need a browser for those because you would already know where to find what you are looking for.
If a user does try to preview MIDI files with multiple "tracks" (I'm calling them "channels"), I think the best thing to do is ask her to choose one from a drop-down list. Such files frequently label the tracks with instrument names, or abbreviations thereof, which could be shown in the list. I should add that these files may be more common than I suggested earlier, since some loop library vendors seem to present their MIDI this way. Users probably don't want to preview them very often, for reasons similar to what I said above.

Incidentally, isn't the maximum number of "tracks" ("channels") 16 rather than 25? Or am I missing something very basic about the MIDI specification?

An additional complication that I didn't mention before is program change messages. For previewing I think these should be ignored.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I run across multi-track MIDI files all the time, and a lot of people create them to import into MuseScore or Finale or whatever, for notation. The best way to do it would be to have the previewer try to play the MIDI file using General MIDI. For a lot of MIDI files, that would sound good.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: ... Thanks for the suggestion!

Greg
You're very welcome .. and thanks in advance for giving this some consideration when the time comes.