Video preview not working

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JCComposer

Video preview not working

Post by JCComposer »

Hello all!

I'm currently running Mixcraft 7. I can add a video (both AVI and WMV) but the preview screen just locks up. The time moves accordingly and the sound from the video plays correctly. I just can't see the video. To clarify more, the only thing I can see is a shot of the scene that I start the playback from. I don't recall having this problem in version 6... How can I fix this? I'm having to put important projects on hold, thanks!

Jayce
Acoustica Greg

Re: Video preview not working

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you don't already have it, try updating to build 273. Choose "Check For Updates" from Mixcraft's Help menu.

If that suggestion doesn't help, please submit an Acoustica Support Request.

Greg
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

I am having the same problem with Mixcraft 8, since I bought a new laptop with Windows 10. Another issue is, that when I want to load longer videos, Mixcraft becomes unresponsive and I have to shut it down. I did not have this problem on my old computer with Windows 7. Can anyone help me with this please?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Stoner wrote:I am having the same problem with Mixcraft 8, since I bought a new laptop with Windows 10. Another issue is, that when I want to load longer videos, Mixcraft becomes unresponsive and I have to shut it down. I did not have this problem on my old computer with Windows 7. Can anyone help me with this please?
HI,

If you don't already have Mixcraft 8.0 build 375, choose "Check For Updates" from the Help menu and then quit Mixcraft while the patch downloads and before you try to run the patch.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Stoner wrote:I am having the same problem with Mixcraft 8, since I bought a new laptop with Windows 10. Another issue is, that when I want to load longer videos, Mixcraft becomes unresponsive and I have to shut it down. I did not have this problem on my old computer with Windows 7. Can anyone help me with this please?
HI,

If you don't already have Mixcraft 8.0 build 375, choose "Check For Updates" from the Help menu and then quit Mixcraft while the patch downloads and before you try to run the patch.

Greg
Thanks for fast reply. I tried that but it didnt solve the problem.
chibear

Post by chibear »

@Stoner: a couple of thoughts popped into my mind:

1. Are you waiting long enough? It takes awhile to load the video into Mixcraft. I'm currently scoring a 14 minute MP4 video and it takes several minutes to load. People were having similar issues with Kontakt until it was discovered that the background loading "feature" rendered a project unplayable until loading was finished even though the project looked ready to go.

2. Do you have enough RAM to accomodate the video. The above-mentioned video with about 6 tracks so far takes up <> 11GB on my machine.

3. Do you shut it down in Task Manager? Do you get a message about Mixcraft not responding or does the machine lock?

FWIW so far I have stayed on Windows 7 because of constant little problems that are popping up industry wide. It seems every new update breaks somenthing that sends developers somewhere scrambling to fix it. Kind of like upgrading Mac OS. :roll:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

When I try to load the video I can see the bar in the lower left corner saying "Mixing VideoName.wmv.wav.", but it is stuck at 0%. I tried waiting even for an hour but nothing changed. Then I have to shut Mixcraft down in Task Manager, where it is marked as Not responding.

My current laptop is MSI GL62M 7RD with 8GB RAM. On my previous computer Lenovo Ideapad z500 (also with 8GB RAM) I was able to load the same video in a matter of seconds with no problem.

But this is not so important to me. I am able to load shorter videos. My main issue is with the video preview. I have the same problem that JCComposer described in the original post of this topic.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

Reproduce the problem one more time, then quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

I have been told that the problem was duplicated and reported to developers. After almost a year and numerous updates the problem still persists. Is there hope for any solution soon?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Stoner wrote:I have been told that the problem was duplicated and reported to developers. After almost a year and numerous updates the problem still persists. Is there hope for any solution soon?
Hi,

Are you using Mixcraft v8.1 build 408?

We've can't duplicate the problem here, it's likely due to the video codecs installed on your computer and/or the graphics drivers and your video card. Make sure you've got the latest updates for your video card. If you have a laptop, make sure it's not in power-saving mode.

Greg
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

I keep my version of Mixcraft and my graphics drivers up to date. I also tried to download some video codecs but the video playback is still not working. Could you give me some advice which specific codecs should I download?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Stoner wrote:I keep my version of Mixcraft and my graphics drivers up to date. I also tried to download some video codecs but the video playback is still not working. Could you give me some advice which specific codecs should I download?
Hi,

Did you check your power management settings? Make sure your computer is set to run in high performance mode, and not power-saving mode.

Since we have never been able to duplicate this problem with build 408 of Mixcraft, it's hard to give specific guidelines. Mixcraft relies upon the proper installation of Microsoft DirectShow on your computer.

You could send in your mixcraft-log.txt file (as detailed in one of my posts above), and we could see if there are any clues in your log file.

Greg
Manfred

Post by Manfred »

I had the same problem with both Mixcraft versions in the 32 bit mode.
I reported it and got no better answer than to keep the direct show up to date. I did so, but that did not help.
Since I prefer the 64 bit versions anyway, I gave up on it since the developers solved a problem with the 32-bit-VST-wrapper for me, for which I will be thankful forever and I could use the 64 bit Mixcraft (8) again.
I think it's a problem with third party video software which installs additional video codecs, but I have no idea how to identify them and how to get rid of them...what puzzled me was the fact, that the videos worked well with the Windows Mediaplayer (which is 32 bit and uses direct show) but not with the Mixcraft video preview.
Strativarious

Post by Strativarious »

I had a similar issue and the culprit was MSI afterburner and more precisely the rivatuner statistics server loading with it on windows startup. Now if that's not the case then it can be something similar. Also you can try uninstalling every codec and installing something that at least for me works flawlessly, the K-Lite Codec Pack.
Stoner

Post by Stoner »

Thanks for your suggestions.

Acoustica Greg:
My laptop is set to high performance mode. I sent you the log file back in February as you suggested and received this email answer from you:
"I was actually able to duplicate this problem here with two videos. Most videos work just fine. I have filed a problem report so that the software developers can look into this."
Strativarious wrote:I had a similar issue and the culprit was MSI afterburner and more precisely the rivatuner statistics server loading with it on windows startup. Now if that's not the case then it can be something similar. Also you can try uninstalling every codec and installing something that at least for me works flawlessly, the K-Lite Codec Pack.
Strativarious:
How did you solve the problem with MSI afterburner? I actually have an MSI laptop so this could be the issue.