Greeting from a SONAR Platinum refugee

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Wookiee

Greeting from a SONAR Platinum refugee

Post by Wookiee »

Hi Peeps,

The Wookiee here, just a little introduction to say hi and I am joining you and fellow MixCraft Pro users following the Gibson debacle with Cakewalk.

Have been a long time user of MIDI Sequencing and DAW Software starting in the late 80's with Dr T's and Bars & Pipes on the Amiga, then Twelve Tones Cakewalk on through the Pro Audio years and SONAR iterations to the current SONAR Platinum. S-Plat is not going away for me but I felt I need to have something else to work with.

I have a somewhat peculiar, if not furry, sense of humour but am also willing to learn and willing to help where I can.

Music started for me Playing drums semi-pro when I was younger, I have subsequently taught my furry paws how to make a noise with guitars and keyboards, in-between saving galaxies and fighting the empire. Though I will say furry paws, guitars and keyboards can get messy sometimes.

I look forward to try to make a useful contribution here, but please bare with me when I ask those questions that you have all seen and heard a thousand times before. I have some experience with PC's and IT having spent 20+ years as a systems, network and communications manger. Programmer having moved from working in the electronics design arena.
https://soundcloud.com/wookiee-4077
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
GovernmentMule

Re: Greeting from a SONAR Platinum refugee

Post by GovernmentMule »

Welcome Wookiee,

I started out with Sonar X2 and then found Mixcraft version 6 and have been with it ever since.
I still go over to the Cakewalk forums alot. Not for Sonar but just general knowledge, especially CCLarry's deals.This place is not nearly as populated but they are nice enough and helpful. Hope you get along with Mixcraft.
Rski

Post by Rski »

Hello Mixcrafterian's ... have been a Sonar user and converted over. I put the brakes on when Sonar became the life time updates, a few years back

I must admit when the cat was let out of the bag, the Sonar community became hysteric, fun reading.

Because I poked around with DAW, converting over was a breeze, like always there were some questions, but no real show stoppers. My only wish, is customizing VST display, I figured how to add to a custom menu, but I need to figure out how to get the custom menu to prompt.

Work flow in terms of software, pretty smooth sailing, the VST and VSTi were scanned, all works fine. I really like the smooth transition of plugging in MIDI controllers, no fussing as in the previous software I used. I do like the multiple sends, rather then one, harks the days of real consoles...cool.

Looking forward to reading here ...ta!
flashdharma

Post by flashdharma »

Hi, I, also, am a SPLAT refugee. I just got here and am trying to figure things out.

Bill
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Welcome to the Mixcraft forums! We've got a good group of regulars here, and we try to be helpful when we can.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hello and welcome to all the newcomers.

Greg understates it.
Just let us know if there's anything we can do to help. This tends to be a casual and easy place to check in and ask questions, discuss techniques and learn.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

Welcome! I am defintely a part time hobbiest - though I've been using MX for years. The people here have helped beyond my wildest expectations.

Sometimes I make up problems just because I love how everyone helps out! (Just kidding. Really - I don't need to make up questions, there is so much I don't know).

But the community here is the #1 reason I would recommend Mixcraft over other choices you may be contemplating.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Been with MC for 3 years now and love it! This forum is by far the best DAW forum that I've experienced, I've never had an issue that wasn't resolved quickly. Also, the moderators are the most helpful I've known, oftentimes they'll come across an issue, figure it out and have an update with a fix within days, awesome stuff.

Welcome to you and all the Cakewalk/Sonar folks. I think you'll find MC and these forums better than you could've hoped for!

M
Rski

Post by Rski »

Well Sonar refugees ...Here's an issue I noticed with Melodyne registration.

Firstly when I clicked on Melodyne upon a wave, sure as wet paint, the registration showed up. Googled found a link from Acoustica, got serial number, away we go ...yipee!!

Now I registered Melodyne with Sonar X3d some years ago, so when I created an account, my trusty email kinda through the process registering, every time I hit submit, the email came information page came back with cross next to my email.

Logged in with my email, guessed my password from a few years back, now the activation confirmed on the web page ... but in Mixcraft it was still greyed out ...

Open up Sonar, threw the region on a wave, Melodyne prompted a tutorial window, and the Melodyne wasn't greyed out.

Reopened Mixcraft, Melodyne and low and behold Melodyne became functional
Wookiee

Post by Wookiee »

Might I suggest try running MixCraft with raised privileges i.e. Run as Administrator just to see if the authorisation sticks?
https://soundcloud.com/wookiee-4077
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
bombaycharlie

Post by bombaycharlie »

Hi, I am also a Sonar refugee. I started using Mixcraft 6 side by side with Sonar X3, then upgraded every year to the Pro version, so now I'm at Mixcraft Pro 8. I must say that for what I do, it is so much easier to get tracks done in Mixcraft than in Sonar. My workflow seems improved and it just seems easier to use. The Plugin window (where you choose VSTs etc.), seems like it could use a visual update, but it certainly does not affect the sound, and after all, that's what it's all about IMO.

Love Mixcraft!
Riojazz

Post by Riojazz »

It's good to feel welcomed. I too purchased Mixcraft after reading the SONAR announcement. My only difficulty was that my trial version was going to run out before my crossgrade ordering info was sent, but when I wrote and asked for help, I received it immediately and I'm all set. While using the trial, I discovered that, to use my Behringer X-Touch in Mixcraft, I had to select Logic Control and not Mackie Control in the Control Surfaces preferences. I made a post to that effect in the Tips forum here.
Hardware: custom i7; Behringer X-Touch; Focusrite 18i20(2); Roland Integra 7; Adam monitors.
Software: Windows 10 Pro, Mixcraft 8 Pro; Encore; Band-in-a-Box; former SONAR user