Guitar Effects Software

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

Guitar Effects Software

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Y'all. It's been a while since I've been in here; life keeps interfering. Anyway, I'm thinking about getting some "Guitar Effects Software".

My setup: Intel I5, 16 gig ram, Windows 7, 64 bit, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 32 bit. It appears that my system will run MC 64 bit, but 32 bit works fine for me.

I have never used any kind of effects pedal or software so I want it to be easy to use. I want to spend time making music, not reading a manual trying to figure out how to use software. I have looked at Pod Farm and Positive Grid Bias FX. I looked at Amplitube but it is 64 bit only.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Rolling Estonian

Re: Guitar Effects Software

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I use Amplitube Fender pretty much exclusively now. I used to have a UX2 so I was using PodFarm, Amplitube buries it, by far. I know it's 64bit only but IMO it's worth it. Waves makes a pretty good one called GTR but Waves installation can be a pain. Just my $.02

M
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Thanks for the response Rolling Estonian.

I keep looking at Amplitube, but, since I've never used any kind of effects pedals, I want something that will be fairly easy to use. At this point I just don't know which one that is.

I may need to upgrade to 64 bit so I can entertain some of the other plugins.

Thanks again,
Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I find that software distortion on guitars lacks punch, particularly noticeable on muted chords. Consequently, I prefer to use an analogue distortion pedal in such circumstances.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you guys seen this video Eric made? Physical Guitar Amp vs Virtual Guitar Amp

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
BillW

Post by BillW »

I'm reasonably happy with GTR3 by Waves for the price.

There are much better out there I'm sure but I've found the presets handle what I'm looking for much of the times - and then tweaking the pedals on the virtual stomp box can make things closer to what I'm looking for.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Have you guys seen this video Eric made? Physical Guitar Amp vs Virtual Guitar Amp

Greg
I mistook the Shred Virtual Guitar Amp for what I assumed to be the Rocktron MaXe Preamp, although the recordings didn't include fast attack muted chords. I'm surprised at how bad the Rocktron sounded, but that may have been due to the treble control being too low.
almeister_65

Post by almeister_65 »

I have Amplitube 4 and TH3 (it's 32 and 64 bit compatible https://www.overloud.com/node/26/compatibility)
I can get good sounds from both (there's nothing like a real amp set up though, imho). I lean towards Amplitube 4 more but I think TH3 is cheaper for some of the packs they sell ($89 for the Rock pack). I wouldn't say either one would be "simple" to use if you've never used effects pedals, sends and returns, or rack gear before but well worth learning imho.