MixCraft 8 not recognizing some VSTi's

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

FluxCobalt23

Re: MixCraft 8 not recognizing some VSTi's

Post by FluxCobalt23 »

I did a new log file.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

As Erik surmised, it looks like they have the same VST ID. If you like one better than the other, install that one.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
FluxCobalt23

Post by FluxCobalt23 »

Well at least this issue is solved. I also looked at the log file and saw the duplicate ID numbers. The plugin that would not load at all had a duplicate ID as well. What seems strange is that they all load into SONAR Pro without any problems. I don’t know enough about this stuff to try and figure it but I’ll get over it. As of right now I prefer MixCraft 8 over SONAR Pro, for one big reason, in MixCraft 8 I do not have the latency issues that I have in SONAR Pro.

Thank you for the help Greg.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

SONAR must have either another way of identifying plug-ins, or a secondary, fall-back method of differentiating when they have duplicate VST ID's.

Greg didn't go into full detail, but it's a fail on the part of the developer of the plug-ins. Steinberg has a webpage that readily issues unique ID's, and each VST is supposed to have one, but some developers seem to be unaware of this, or just ignore it.

The protocol is apparently that the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of one's VST are supposed to use the same ID, which is how programs such as Mixcraft can so seamlessly load projects in either 32 or 64 bit versions.

Other DAW's may handle it by parsing the name of the .DLL or .VST3 file or other means, but Mixcraft goes solely by the VST ID at this time. The only workaround is to look at the log file, find out which plug-ins are conflicting, and choose which one you like best.

I've pondered going at the .DLL's with a hex editor or something to try to change the VST ID string myself, but so far choosing my favorite has worked just fine.
-Erik
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Starship Krupa wrote:SONAR must have either another way of identifying plug-ins, or a secondary, fall-back method of differentiating when they have duplicate VST ID's.

Greg didn't go into full detail, but it's a fail on the part of the developer of the plug-ins. Steinberg has a webpage that readily issues unique ID's, and each VST is supposed to have one, but some developers seem to be unaware of this, or just ignore it.

The protocol is apparently that the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of one's VST are supposed to use the same ID, which is how programs such as Mixcraft can so seamlessly load projects in either 32 or 64 bit versions.

Other DAW's may handle it by parsing the name of the .DLL or .VST3 file or other means, but Mixcraft goes solely by the VST ID at this time. The only workaround is to look at the log file, find out which plug-ins are conflicting, and choose which one you like best.

I've pondered going at the .DLL's with a hex editor or something to try to change the VST ID string myself, but so far choosing my favorite has worked just fine.
Great info. Nice one Erik :D
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6