Waves GTR3

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Perdue

Waves GTR3

Post by Perdue »

I've not seen much mention of Waves GTR3 being used in Mixcraft. Are there any satisfied users,
and will it work in 32 bit Mixcraft 8?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Waves GTR3

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It should work just fine, but it looks like they don't offer a 32-bit version, so you'd have to install 64-bit Mixcraft to use it.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I use GTR3 occasionally. It seems amp sim preferences are somewhat dependent on preferred style or genre.

I like the user interface. Layout is logical and easy to use IMO.
Sound quality is quite usable, but as others have indicated, for some styles there may be somewhat superior sounding options. But perhaps not at this price point. Tastes and preferences vary.
Yes it is 64 Bit and a minimum of 8 Gigs of RAM is recommended. Amp sims can be heavy resource hogs, depending on your specific chain and usage.

The current price is a low risk buy. If funds are tight, you might consider the Solo version. Craig Anderton described it well when he said it was more like a "best of" version than a stripped down version. Its quite versatile and fun. $29 on sale seems like a no brainer if you are looking to explore amp sims.
Craig once offered a book and a set of custom presets for Solo, but they were all in other DAW's unfortunately. Kind of had to "fudge it"
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

I use it with 32 bit MX. Maybe I have an older version?

I like it - for the price.

Also it has both VST and VST3 versions of each of the plugins.
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Your right Bill, now that I think about it, I have used it in 32 bit previously as well. I had forgotten that. Just tested it and yep- must have installed both. Hard to tell given the mess created by Waves installer. Stuffs everywhere.

Waves site is misleading on requirements then. But still, heavy use on multiple tracks with busy chains- might find the 64 bit advantage point.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
BillW

Post by BillW »

You know, now that Ithink about it, I recall not being sure it would work with 32bit and figured I'd go to 64bit if that was the case.

My computer is pretty wimpy but MX works fine (see my signature) - though lately it choked when I tried to have two instances of EZD in it (one for drums - one for Latin percussion.) Workaround was doing drums first - then rendering to .wav, then percussion - but I digress...
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
Perdue

Post by Perdue »

Thanks guys. Mixcraft is awesome. GTR3 is tempting at the sale price but I think I'll stick with Shred for
now.
Frantiac

Post by Frantiac »

I've used Waves GTR Solo for years - love it. Don't be fooled by the low price (29 dollars last time I looked) - it's not a limited version of GTR3 but more of a "best of", as was mentioned earlier. As far as I'm concerned it's worth it for the Super Reverb ("Drive") alone. I had use of the full GTR3 for a while but found myself using GTR Solo every time. I've just WUP-ped to the latest version and it installs both 32 and 64-bit VST & VST3 automatically. I'm using the 32-bit version with Mixcraft 8.

This overlooked gem might interest you too: db-audioware's Flying Haggis, a great-sounding and economical all-rounder http://www.db-audioware.com/flying-haggis
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

That's pretty cool for classic tones, I'll have to watch for a 64 bit release,

Its also worth mentioning for 64 bit users, the free custom shop version of Amplitube used to include enough to have some fun with experimenting. Haven't loaded a recent version, but I bet its still worth a look. Though it will tempt you to upgrade.....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Mark Bliss wrote:That's pretty cool for classic tones, I'll have to watch for a 64 bit release,

Its also worth mentioning for 64 bit users, the free custom shop version of Amplitube used to include enough to have some fun with experimenting. Haven't loaded a recent version, but I bet its still worth a look. Though it will tempt you to upgrade.....
Once I got the Amplitube Fender package it was over. That's my go to right off the bat, nothing like that twin!

M