Recording MIDI output from Kontakt instrument

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

lingyai

Re: Recording MIDI output from Kontakt instrument

Post by lingyai »

Ian Craig wrote:Yes, do not descend to abuse on this forum please, that's not what it's for.
I think the point here is that this process is an unnecessarily complicated process for anyone who tries to concentrate on making music rather than endlessly trying to envisage how something gets routed from one thing to another via some third software prior to a fourth process involving have to learn to actually use the plugin, which is why other DAWs already include this feature, so the sooner Mixcraft includes this feature the better. Hopefully in Mixcraft 9 (whenever that is due for release). In the meantime, any acquired software will still be waiting until it's use isn't an endless headache. Happy holidays 8)
In fairness to Mixcraft, this is a quite speciaIised thing -- printing the midi from a 3rd party midi VSTi -- where I've had head-scratching sessions with Sonar, Studio One and others too; and is the only thing in Mixcraft I've seen so far which was not immediately (or soon-enough) obvious ; a show-pauser, as opposed to a show-stopper. I'd say it's no harder or easier in Mixcraft than in those other DAWs. And ... well, it's easy once you know how!

I'd add that if you don't want to print the midi, then using using such VSTis in Mixcraft is much easier than in those others.

Anyway, have fun everyone!
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

lingyai wrote:In fairness to Mixcraft, this is a quite speciaIised thing -- printing the midi from a 3rd party midi VSTi -- where I've had head-scratching sessions with Sonar, Studio One and others too; and is the only thing in Mixcraft I've seen so far which was not immediately (or soon-enough) obvious ; a show-pauser, as opposed to a show-stopper. I'd say it's no harder or easier in Mixcraft than in those other DAWs. And ... well, it's easy once you know how!

I'd add that if you don't want to print the midi, then using using such VSTis in Mixcraft is much easier than in those others. ...
Agreed. In my mind, Mixcraft's most important virtue -- ease of learning -- goes hand in hand with the difficulty of doing the really specialized stuff.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Eddiescoob wrote:Thank you so much lingyai that was above and beyond what I ever expected and is very much appreciated. I had some problems getting Mixcraft to recognise loop midi but once it did the video was spot on and did exactly what I wanted it to do, a well earn pint or two for your good self if you are ever in Sheffield.
And yes you were right that the last paragraph was a tad strong and I apologise if I offended anyone reading it but in my defence the previous comment was, uncalled for, underhand and ignorant and for that I did what most people would have done and shot him down. At least he`s still got his teeth, whereas if that had been said to my face he most certainly wouldn`t.

Thanks again, I owe you one.

:lol: Yes, I was referring to both of you and I agree that had he said it to my face there'd have been trouble also :lol:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: Jeez.
Allow me to explain......

My comment was in no way meant to mock or disparage. Quite the contrary. If anything it was meant to point out how crazy all this MIDI rigging and routing stuff I have been trying to follow here in your threads is. I find it mind boggling and incomprehensible. And additionally making fun of my own old-assed ignorance.

Put another way- "I'd rather spend three years trying to conquer the banjo than trying to figure out what you all are trying to do, much less how to do it"

I've read along trying to learn something, but in the end, I just shake my head. It cements my dislike for the complicated MIDI routing stuff. Hate it.

And for what its worth, if ya wanna see my teeth, I would gladly just hand them to you........ 8)

Apologies to those who took it the wrong way.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

OK, Revisiting.

After some further contemplation through the day, and re-reading my first reply, I admit to an aftertaste of foot. Another very humble apology offered.

Although, I must say while newbies would have no way of knowing any different, Ian has been around enough that he should know I would never respond that way!

I come here to learn with you. If I can help I try to. if I can learn from you I am ever grateful.

I have read these posts with a keen interest, though I must admit to feeling lost.
I read of chatulyu (or whatever it is) and wonder what the heck it is, and what could be so special as to cause someone to try so hard to make it work in an environment that seems not too well suited for it.
Honestly, I don't even "get" what it is or what it does.

So if I respond with a "hand me the piano", it's not you. And an interpretation that I might be mocking or a coming from some "higher knowledge" is just comical to me! MIDI and synths? You got the wrong guy, I'm lost.
Just trying to learn something here myself.

I am infinitely impressed that someone has found a way to make it work, whatever that means. It took a lot of skill and determination. I truly wish I could understand what it means........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Yes Mark your earlier comment did surprise me as it seemed far too insulting in comparison to what I'd come to expect from you. Anyway, no bother. For me personally, I like tools that make painting progressive sound colourings a lot less bothering to approach, but as you say, all this midi routing stuff leaves us cold and that's our point. If you take a certain approach to what you do that requires things to just function as much as possible without having to 'tear the walls out of a building to get at electric wiring (that you have no interest in) because the house builders think it unimportant to connect a switch or two to the wiring so you can turn the lights on without requiring building work every time it gets dark' - I think that explains it. We just need switches with different function options to do the routing so that we can do what we wanted to do in the first place, record/construct sound/music that is larger than just being a musician. If I go downtown and play guitar in my local day centre, that's fine. It requires no computer, but when I get home I want to make legions of giant sequences and sound layers and the solution isn't to go and do something else. Anyway, back to work or rest or whatever I'm going to do now (probably rest as it's 4am). Later. 8)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6