Guide Track?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

guitbuddy

Guide Track?

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey all,

if you read my Easiest drummer needed threat, you note, I think main the problem I'm having, is needed a guide track.

Whats that you say? Well, simply a rough version of your song. Just a sketch. You then record better quality parts to replace the guide track.

Is anyone doing this?

I'm researching it now. Some DAWS even have ways to help with this -- like chord generators { I've just discovered} . I won't name names, cause' not sure if it's against forum rules.

Does mixcraft have a system for this?

Any ideas?

thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Guide Track?

Post by Mark Bliss »

Click track for those who are bored or distracted by metronomes?

Yes, by all means. Always for recording. I hate the metronome for most purposes.

Usually I create a rudimentary drum track. Acoustica Studio drums or sample library sourced and Mixcraft piano roll. A couple of variations for different styles.

Hmm, didn't I do a tut on this about two years ago? Or was that somewhere else? :?:

4/4 example, Kick on the downbeat (1) and snare (rim shots are good for this IMO.) on the 2, 3, 4. Duplicate that measure as many times as needed to create the length you desire to record to. Need to rock out? Kick on all four beats and a snare on 2 and 4 perhaps. Bonus: Teaches rudimentary drum programming skills.....
I can whip one up in about two minutes. Want some? 8)

When you get a few you like worked out, save them into a template for quick retrieval next time you start a project. Mute them. Unmute the one you want. Record. Rename project using "save as". Replace click track later with drum tracks if desired. delete click track when you don't need it anymore.

Mmmm. template. Good. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Hi Mark,

that sounds like a great idea - thanks. I wasnt prowling the forum 2 years, ago, but thanks
for that.

I thought you might mean MIXCRAFT can generate a click track. Ive bought pro click tracks
before -- but doubt they could SYNC TO THE MIXCRAFT ENGINE.. Maybe Im wrong?

I was hoping to expand on the idea - with a guide sheet encompassing chords- some DAWS
are heading in that direction I found.

thanks
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

guitbuddy wrote:........I wasnt prowling the forum 2 years, ago, but thanks
for that.........
Yeah, I was just thinking there might be something useful I could link to. I was "Thinking out loud" so to speak.
guitbuddy wrote:I was hoping to expand on the idea - with a guide sheet encompassing chords- some DAWS are heading in that direction I found.
Lost me, sorry. Metronome, click track, "chord guide"?

Gonna need some 'splainin!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Hey Mark,

If you buy some Karoke pre made tracks, they come with a click track.

I was hoping MC could add an adjustable one, instead of that metronome.

I lot of DAWS are heading toward the BAND IN A BOX MODEL: You can lay down chord
progressions IN the daw. So you can get your song down -- even swap out chords -- and change things on the fly.

Extend that to bass lines , drum parts, etc. { IE what ever the user DOESNT PLAY }

Man that's a dream I'm hoping to wake up too!
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

Do you mean an auto harmonize? For example, you play a melody and then the program analyses it and puts in a likely chord progression to harmonize with your melody?

Or do you mean putting down guitar chords as in tablature or chord names like on a fake sheet with rhythms with a single key press?
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

Not sure if it contributes, but I'll chime in and say that I often work up my songs by laying down rudimentary tracks that I replace with more finished tracks.

I've started with programmed drums that I've played over with more complete beats, looped guitar and keyboard parts that I've played over with complete song-length performances, etc. I'll put in cymbal crashes to cue myself to go into a change or chorus or whatever.

I work out arrangements that way, too, sometimes cutting, copying, pasting sections of the song around to see what works.

Getting the basic structure of a song worked out can be a lot of work that I may not want to do in my head with a guitar in my hands. It may be simpler to do it on the computer with the lyrics up on the screen.

All I need to start off with is enough of each part to be able to loop it to fill out the parts I want to sketch.
-Erik
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi guitbuddy,

Along with Mixcraft I have Band in the Box(BB) which is also a cool product. To add that type of operation of BB in Mixcraft may take a whole another mode of operation. In BB besides entering in the chords, it works off of selected style patterns and many other things. I sometimes generate a basic style track and selected inst parts in BB and then save it to be brought into Mixcraft. Drum and Bass parts could be done very quickly making a fancier click track.

It is too bad Band in the Box doesnt have Rewire capability, then both platforms could be synced together track wise, but that is another story.

Cool stuff,
Dave
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

thanks everyone for the tips!
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

cactus-head wrote:Hello,

Do you mean an auto harmonize? For example, you play a melody and then the program analyses it and puts in a likely chord progression to harmonize with your melody?

Or do you mean putting down guitar chords as in tablature or chord names like on a fake sheet with rhythms with a single key press?
I mean more a TABLET AREA where you can enter chords, switch chords, etc. Layout the
song visually.
Topcheese

Post by Topcheese »

Late to the party, but this is about the only thing I feel a modern DAW should include. We know what some of the other DAWs can do, but that would be about the only thing I don't really like about MC.

Yes, I have other chord generators including BIAB, but I came from Waveform 8 which does have one, and I enjoyed that feature very much. I haven't played with Cubase yet, but that's about the only DAW that could take me away from MC.

Still, MC gives you the most bang for your buck. I keep trying other DAWs, and they only end up disgusting me because they are not as easy to work in as MC. Yes they may look nicer and have more bells and whistles, but for a person on a tight budget, MC hangs with the best of them!
Windows 10 build 16299
AMD A8-6410 @ 2GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Sonar V-Studio 100
Alesis VX49
YMMV :roll: :arrow: https://www.reverbnation.com/dirtbom
cbeattyjr

Post by cbeattyjr »

I do guide tracks one of two different ways:

Band in a Box
or,
A combination of Toontrack EZDrummer and EZKeys.
Chuck Beatty
Check out Electro-Roots Workshop on YouTube.
MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro Laptop (GEFORCE GTX 1060)
Presonus 1824 Interface
A bunch of other stuff!
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Starship Krupa wrote:Not sure if it contributes, but I'll chime in and say that I often work up my songs by laying down rudimentary tracks that I replace with more finished tracks.
I do this too. And yes it's time consuming.
No way am I going to pay for band in a box (but looks good). I'd quite like a chord generator in Mixcraft, I must admit!
I sometimes play with an app called Chordbot on my phone (work out ideas when out & about)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
outteh

Post by outteh »

Check this out! Looks like they will have a Windows version shortly. Price looks reasonable.

https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/captain-chords
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You might want to take a look at this as well:
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... InstaChord

Havent tried it yet, but willing to take a risk at that price and give it a spin.
I've seen several other similar programs, but this one is very inexpensive and looks interesting.

FWIW, I demoed BiAB a few years ago and while it may have improved since, I would rate it as underwhelming.
I'd give them an "A" for marketing hype and myth creation. But a "D" in actual functionality and sound quality. One might use it to create rough demo's but I was far from convinced it was worth the trouble, much less the price. Your experience may differ.

There's other ways to get similar results without any additional expense IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page