Copyrighted Loops??? Please Help!!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Garrett Padilla

Copyrighted Loops??? Please Help!!

Post by Garrett Padilla »

Hello everyone! SO, I have chill hip hop beat/track that I mixed using the MVP royalty free loops pack that came with my MC7 Pro Studio package, as a free download. Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that these loops are copyright free and royalty free??

I mixed my beat back in February, 2017, and uploaded it Youtube today (2/1/18) with a video I made, however, I got hit with a copyright notice?! So I looked up the song that had a copyright claim on it... here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av72pEI2BBU

It is made entirely up of the free MVP loops except for the vocals and apparently there is a copyright on the song, including the loops.

I made my beat, and uploaded it earlier today to find out that my mixed beat is copyrighted??

I gave the dude credits for his songs because I am not sure what to do, but I mean, he copyrighted :arrow: loops he didn't make??? I thought they were copyright free? I just wanna mix beats and upload them to Youtube for my friends and family to enjoy, and not have to worry about getting hit with some copy right for PREMADE loops.

Here is the beat I made, So you can reference the two songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np7MxXiUcY8

(2/3/18: I updated the link and also changed the key so it no longer sounds the EXACT same, my track was in the originally in the same key as the other song).

If anyone can help out, Acoustica Staff, I would much appreciate it. Thanks !!!
Last edited by Garrett Padilla on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonInc

Re: Copyrighted Loops??? Please Help!!

Post by JonInc »

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

You might also want to reference: http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... ght#p97475

Unfortunately this looks to be a continuing challenge when using commonly available loops for this kind of music production.
When It happened to me a couple of years ago, YouTube threatened to suspend my account. Over music used in a mixing tutorial. I was incensed.

I don't think they regularly take it to that extreme any more, and you can probably ignore the whole thing.

BTW Garrett, nice mix. It sounds quite good to me.
But.... You might want to fix the spelling in your video. Just a heads up. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In my experience, you just need to dispute the claim. This assumes that you really don't have any copyrighted content in the video, of course.

We've gotten claim notices on some of our tutorial videos, but disputing the claim always clears it up.

And then there was the guy who got 5 copyright claims on his white noise video. :lol:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Garrett Padilla

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I Will dispute the claim. Everything I used in terms of audio was used from the MVP samples and loops pack. So yea, no audio I used copyrighted. All I did was use samples and loops in the MVP to mix the beat.

Also, I updated the video on behalf of my 4 a.m. spelling mistake :lol: (was up late working on the custom audio spectrum)

Also, I have more question. There are a few options for filing a dispute. Since I didn't make the loops or samples either, I just mixed them, I am not sure which option would be most appropriate to file the dispute.

These are the options...

"1. I own the CD / DVD or bought the song online.

2. I'm not selling the video or making any money from it.

3. I gave credit in the video.

4. The video is my original content and I own all of the rights to it.

5. I have a license or permission from the proper rights holder to use this material.

6. My use of the content meets the legal requirements for fair use or fair dealing under applicable copyright laws.

7. The content is in the public domain or is not eligible for copyright protection."

Which option should I select?

I legally own Mixcraft 7 Pro Studio and all the audio that came free with it.

Thanks again guys,

- Garrett Padilla
Last edited by Garrett Padilla on Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The correct answer is #5. The creators of the loops in Mixcraft have licensed them for us to use them in our projects.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Garrett Padilla

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

The correct answer is #5. The creators of the loops in Mixcraft have licensed them for us to use them in our projects.

Greg
Much appreciated! You guys have kick-@$$ support!! I hope this forum thread will be useful to others who might have encountered the same issues.
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hmm thanks for this info. It is Feb 3 2018, and tried to play your videos and says they are removed.
Just wanted to see how similar your sound track was compared to the copyrighted one.

interesting that sound beats can be copyrighted from use. There are so many sound packs out that we can buy and bound to run across some that sound similar to other works of music.

I did a blues song a while back which didn't realize until I was going though some beatles songs and the melody theme in my verses were almost identical in parts to one of theirs(and I never heard this beatles song before-was not one of their top songs). This was before youtube days. I ended up changing the melody structure on my own. But who knows, maybe the new one I did is also out there by someone else. Blues is so common.

youtube must spend many hours analyzing music tracks to find similarities. i am surprised with everyone doing cover songs on youtube that they are not being criticized by youtube nowdays.

Just my thoughts. Anyway, good luck in your song Garrett
Garrett Padilla

dathyr1 wrote:Hmm thanks for this info. It is Feb 3 2018, and tried to play your videos and says they are removed.
Just wanted to see how similar your sound track was compared to the copyrighted one.

interesting that sound beats can be copyrighted from use. There are so many sound packs out that we can buy and bound to run across some that sound similar to other works of music.

I did a blues song a while back which didn't realize until I was going though some beatles songs and the melody theme in my verses were almost identical in parts to one of theirs(and I never heard this beatles song before-was not one of their top songs). This was before youtube days. I ended up changing the melody structure on my own. But who knows, maybe the new one I did is also out there by someone else. Blues is so common.

youtube must spend many hours analyzing music tracks to find similarities. i am surprised with everyone doing cover songs on youtube that they are not being criticized by youtube nowdays.

Just my thoughts. Anyway, good luck in your song Garrett
I just updated the links, so you can now listen to the beat I made.

When I first made the track, I kept the loops in the original key, but I am sure that's what the Youtube's algorithm picked up on. So I changed the key and remastered the sounds. I am actually kinda happy that I had to do so, I feel like in my past two years of learning production , my ears have become much better at mastering and hearing a proper arrangement. I just do not understand why someone would copyright loops they didn't even make? The loops were meant for everyone to be able to use.. I could understand if HE actually did make the loops and were his original composition, but the only thing original were his lyrics and auto tune voice (IF they were original that is). Anyways, yea if any one comes across this issue, just be sure to either dispute the claim as instructed above, OR remix the loops (loop/sample chops, key change, remastering, etc). Also, Thanks for the thoughts and support @Dathyr1!!
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi Garrett,

Yeah, I see that both are very similar other than his vocals. Glad you found a way around youtubes findings and
being able to post your song. Your song is very good and I like the animations.

That is interesting to know that one of the things to do is a key change and modify the sounds. That is probably good to do right from the start is modify the stock sample loops from sound packs unless the other person has the same idea. <hehe> YouTube has really changed on certain things being posted especially with the DCMA rules and other things.

take care,
Dave