MC8 mixskin.ini file entries

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sjoens

MC8 mixskin.ini file entries

Post by sjoens »

Just poking around in the mixskin.ini file and find some oddities regarding entries.

Most of them are organized under categorical headings which makes sense. But some seem to be scattered about where they don't belong. Some appear to be left over from older versions and don't apply to v8. Some should apply but do nothing. And some are duplicated in other places.

I don't know anything about programing but would tidying up the ini file make MC8 run smoother or would it matter?
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
mick

Re: MC8 mixskin.ini file entries

Post by mick »

Fiddling with the ini file is a delicate task. I made 1 simple error changing a colour and crashed Mixcraft on startup by placing 1 digit out of place by 1. To quote the old saying, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". The computer will read the ini file in milliseconds, so no difference will be gained. Everything is fine! 8)
Last edited by mick on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Thanks mick. True about one digit being out of wack. Make sure all yer commas are dotted. :mrgreen:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

And always, always have a backup
-Erik
mick

Post by mick »

sjoens wrote:- "Make sure all yer commas are dotted".

I take it that was an observation of my sloppy writing and you are absolutely correct, so I did some editing but probably got it wrong again. 8)

Starship, Too true about backups, I copied the ini to documents and edited it from there, but also have a second backup copy on a stick. 8)
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Didn't notice your "sloppy writing" but was referring to proper use of semicolons (;) in ini files. A non dotted comma (,) just won't work. :mrgreen: That's where I usually get the "corrupted installation" message.

Otherwise it's quite forgiving. I've deleted references to some graphic files and they simply don't show... as expected. I've also replaced some graphic entries with RGB color entries, and vise versa, with intended results.

Backups are a given when changing stuff. However... I figured out how to create a whole new skin set and have it selectable within MC8 so the originals are in no danger of being messed with. The new skin has it's own ini file and mixrez folder. The only original file that needs altered is skins.csv where you just add a line referring to the new skin set.

There are some limitations but a savvy artist can give MC a whole new look this way. Not quite as flexible as Reaper's GUI but it wouldn't take much for it to be.
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

The computer will read the ini file in milliseconds, so no difference will be gained. Everything is fine!"
... then I found this at the head of the mixstrings.ini file"
; NOTE: PUT MORE FREQUENTLY USED STRINGS NEAR THE TOP FOR SPEED!
; ESPECIALLY THINGS THAT ARE UPDATED MORE THAN ONCE every second!"
Either way, I've cleaned up the mixskin.ini file including a TOC for my own ease in finding entries.

The current setup for changing themes is doable for small graphic & color changes.

But things can get tedious for more complex themes. I found more tweakables in the Languages/mixstrings.ini file that when changed will affect every theme including the default one. Doing this could render the default theme unusable in my case --- A work around for that would be to create my own "language" file. If that works then a user will have to apply 2 Preferences changes to use my theme. One for the theme and one for the language.

BTW, they've even included a "Pirate" language for ye seafarin' types.

Another way to have multiple themes is to install a separate instance of MC for each one.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101