Melodyne problems.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

guitbuddy

Melodyne problems.

Post by guitbuddy »

I do not like melodyne. There I said it. Peering into that tiny window trying to make
sense of it all is infuriating.

One problem Im having -- I need to visually transpose the key. Is that possible?

{ not transpose - visually transpose }

thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Melodyne problems.

Post by Mark Bliss »

It IS admittedly quirky and is taking some time for me to get used to.

But you can enlarge the view, zoom in, widen or narrow the perspective, scroll vertically or horizontally, and more.

I don't know how anyone could see to accomplish anything in the default window view. Maybe some kid or with a really big monitor perhaps.

The things that bug me are key and scale selection controls. Haven't gotten a grasp on that yet.
But I really like how I can nudge around little snippets and do subtle and transparent, natural sounding minor improvements! Works great!

Maybe with a better explanation of "visually transpose" I can try to help. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Hi Mark,

Imagine Jimi Hendrix tunes one note down. so hes thinking E, but its recording E flat.

Now go in the daw, or Melodyne, everything looks like Greek.

How does he visually transpose, so it looks like hes in E again?
outteh

Post by outteh »

You need to break out the help manual and look up using Melodyne. It's not simple and there are a lot of functions to become familiar with. In one mode you have the notes down the left hand side so you can see what note the audio blob is on. Now you can start moving blobs up or down to set the note to the correct pitch. You could move an e flat to e, etc. :D
guitbuddy

Post by guitbuddy »

Wow there really is a CLUB!

I thought Mark was kidding.

Yeah, Melodynes a tad complicated. I don't think there's too many hot players in the
new generation of guitarists - cause Eddie tuned down also. And more folks would
be inquiring about this.

FYI Mark - I think wind and horn players need visual transposing also.

thanks
mamaiasam

Post by mamaiasam »

HI I have just bought mixcraft pro. how can I activate melodyne?
please
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mamaiasam wrote:HI I have just bought mixcraft pro. how can I activate melodyne?
please
Hi,

You need to create an account at Celemony.com and activate your copy of Melodyne Essentials. I'll send your Melodyne registration email. If you don't get it shortly, check your spam folder. You can also log into your Acoustica Customer Center account to get your registration details.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

• Run Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio
    Add an audio file to a track.
    Select the audio clip.
    Click the Sound tab at the bottom of Mixcraft
    Click "Melodyne" on the toolbar
    Click the "Activate" button in Melodyne's interface. You may need to increase the size of the sound tab to see it.
    Follow the instructions to create a Celemony account, or login.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

guitbuddy wrote:Wow there really is a CLUB!

I thought Mark was kidding.
Yeah, we discovered there was a group of us that were um.... older than the typical internet forum rats, so we formed a "club" for fun. Several of us have been active here for a number of years too.
guitbuddy wrote:I don't think there's too many hot players in the
new generation of guitarists
Well, electric guitar sales volumes have dropped significantly over the last decade, so I think that alone might be a sign......
guitbuddy wrote:- cause Eddie tuned down also. And more folks would
be inquiring about this.
I am not well versed on the tunings Eddie (I am assuming Vanhalen) may have used, but I am aware that both Hendrix and SRV typically tuned down a half step. Not convinced either one used a score sheet, much less a transposed version however. The critical thing was that the bass player etc also tuned the same I guess.
guitbuddy wrote:FYI Mark - I think wind and horn players need visual transposing also.
Trumpet the most common example. B-flat. Played in an orchestra with two trumpet players. Both could readily transpose from standard scoring in their head though.

Anyway, yeah, I am aware of the concept, what I meant was how does it affect you and what exactly are you trying to do?
You can shift MIDI notes in the piano roll.
I assume one could do something similar in Melodyne, but since you are applying a process to previously recorded audio, I am not clear on what you mean?

*One caveat, I don't personally use the scoring function in Mixcraft, so if that's where you are working, I probably cant help with that.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

A couple of months ago I midly disliked Melodyne. But I was quite wrong - it's very functional, but HARD to use. Splitting a section of audio and mixing to a new clip before entering Melodyne does help I find. You can also like in the menus to use "no snap" to nudge notes slightly, or use chromatic or Scale.
It sure is tough, but the results are VERY worth it. Very much so. On balance? I'm glad I put in hours and hours wrestling with it, am afraid it's the only way......
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel