Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Mark Bliss »

sjoens wrote:This should make the window as shown above open when MC8 is launched.
Ah! I see. It opens the new project splash where you can select "show for new projects"
Thanks for clearing that up!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
johnw

Post by johnw »

Not alot of activity here, but here's something I'd like to have in MC.
Copy a track, or copy tracks. Carry the copy thru to another song. This feature would allow me to compose in a more organized way. Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

johnw wrote:Not alot of activity here, but here's something I'd like to have in MC.
Copy a track, or copy tracks. Carry the copy thru to another song. This feature would allow me to compose in a more organized way. Thanks!
Have you seen this video? Copying clips between Mixcraft Projects

And do you know about templates?
Saving a Mixcraft template
Saving a Mixcraft template
tipmixcrafttemplates.png (64.31 KiB) Viewed 5947 times
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
johnw

Post by johnw »

Thanks for the tips, Greg!
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

"And do you know about templates?"

Still going to contend this would be done much easier/better as an extension of the library window, along with saving effects chains and instrument presets. It's a much more fluid less onerous/deliberative workflow if all your stuff is just automatically there at the bottom of the screen no matter what project you're in. Instant browsing, drag and drop, no menu diving, etc...

Tabbed worksheets (a la excel) for track window also a no brainer. Set up a tab for drums, keys, guitars, submixes, etc... Instant one click access to your tracks instead of shrinking them and scrolling.

Best
-N
Last edited by bigaquarium on Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Give us a way to easily save scores as soft copy. Currently I only see a print option, which supposedly includes a PDF save, but you have to have a printer installed to use it - I don't, as I haven't needed to print anything in years and if some rare occasion comes up, I can do it at work. Should be an easy thing to add a save as which includes PDF, perhaps JPG, a few others.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mixyguy2 wrote:Give us a way to easily save scores as soft copy. Currently I only see a print option, which supposedly includes a PDF save, but you have to have a printer installed to use it - I don't, as I haven't needed to print anything in years and if some rare occasion comes up, I can do it at work. Should be an easy thing to add a save as which includes PDF, perhaps JPG, a few others.
Have you tried it? You don't have an option called Microsoft Print to PDF? You could install some third party PDF printing driver. Adobe has one, of course, but there are others.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

On my system it opens a PDF and I have the options to print or save.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
johnw

Post by johnw »

Two requests.
1. A tool as found in Sonar to rake over a chord or passage and the chord/passage plays at the speed you drag the mouse.No selection needed, nor starting the transport.

2. The simple ability to export a MIDI file (without any work-arounds). Without audio included. Without conversions to other file forms.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

johnw wrote:Two requests.
1. A tool as found in Sonar to rake over a chord or passage and the chord/passage plays at the speed you drag the mouse.No selection needed, nor starting the transport.

2. The simple ability to export a MIDI file (without any work-arounds). Without audio included. Without conversions to other file forms.
1. I believe this is called "scrubbing" audio. Thanks for the suggestion!

2. Click on the File menu and select "Save As MIDI File..."
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
mixyguy2 wrote:Give us a way to easily save scores as soft copy. Currently I only see a print option, which supposedly includes a PDF save, but you have to have a printer installed to use it - I don't, as I haven't needed to print anything in years and if some rare occasion comes up, I can do it at work. Should be an easy thing to add a save as which includes PDF, perhaps JPG, a few others.
Have you tried it? You don't have an option called Microsoft Print to PDF? You could install some third party PDF printing driver. Adobe has one, of course, but there are others.
? Of course, I wouldn't have responded w/o trying it (in fact how else would I know to suggest it)? Sounds like it might be a PC/Win 10 SNAFU on my end? Which, given how bad Win 10 sucks, would not surprise me. I just get prompted to install a printer and when it does a search nothing comes up. OK glad it's not MC at least.
mick

Post by mick »

Johnw suggestion brings back memories of july 2015 when I posted this: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol
Postby mick » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 pm

All related to the piano roll...
A step input feature via usb keyboard, perfect for chord input, arpeggio's and single note entry
A scrub/audition feature of a selected section, this can be done by placing loop markers and activating the loop button.
A scrubber would be neater, faster, and frustration free. A scrubber allows any portion to be heard at will and decide if changes are required with no loop markers required
Display multiple tracks
Display a track in its track colour for identifying which track is being edited or played
There's a dozen more but they are more about luxury than basic requirement.
Thank you kindly. :D
chibear

Post by chibear »

The piano roll is probably the weakest link in the Mixcraft chain. The actual UI is fine, but, in order to join the 21st Century in MIDI editing, it is drastically in need of:

1. An editing toolbox for CC#s (AND Host automations) allowing the user to draw at the very least lines and curves, preferably more. Having to manipulate bars, as exists now, is very 90's and the lack of such tools makes Mixcraft stick out when being compared by people who mainly work in MIDI. Such tools have pretty much become the standard across the industry. Even Reaper users have written scripts to provide this feature. BTW the lack of curves has an audible impact on the life you can breathe into a line and therefore product quality.

2. The ability to display multiple MIDI tracks in the Piano roll is a HUGE time saver, especially when working with orchestral scores. That feature cuts any alignment issues to zero.

3. The ability to somehow display both MIDI and host automations in proximity and aligned on the same screen

I could make a detailed (and 'Acoustically' embarassing) video illustrating all these issues if the devs are unclear about what I am talking about.

I work in another DAW that has the scrubbing feature. It's OK but almost as easy to set a memory point to play from.

Finally, an easier and more precise way to port MIDI produced in Mixcraft into Muscore. Right now I often get really strange results with monophonic instruments getting assigned grand staffs and assigned different instrument names, etc. More likely than not my fault, but software should be easy to use, right? :wink:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

mixyguy2 wrote: Of course, I wouldn't have responded w/o trying it (in fact how else would I know to suggest it)? Sounds like it might be a PC/Win 10 SNAFU on my end? Which, given how bad Win 10 sucks, would not surprise me. I just get prompted to install a printer and when it does a search nothing comes up. OK glad it's not MC at least.
Then you just need to install a print to PDF driver of some kind.
mick

Post by mick »

Here's a link to the (free) pdf writer I use, I have it set to open with Adobe reader. This is from the notation view in the piano roll. http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php
M N.PNG
M N.PNG (81.33 KiB) Viewed 6320 times