I need you - Looking for feedback - UPDATED

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

I need you - Looking for feedback - UPDATED

Post by Mab098157 »

Friend of mine wanted to record a song he was working on. Recorded rhythm guitar and scratch vocal. Then gave me free rein to add, arrange and produce. I think I'm almost ready to let go, but wanted some other unbiased opinions. Any glaring issues? Balanced mix? Too bright? Thanks in advance for the feedback

https://soundcloud.com/mark-bowie/i-need-you
Last edited by Mab098157 on Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
freightgod

Re: I need you - Looking for feedback

Post by freightgod »

The vocal seems a little stark to me, could use a hint of reverb to blend it all together, perhaps? Maybe the guitar's a little buried in the mix. But other than that, sounds like music to me :D
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on vocal. But the vocalist wants it dry and “radio ready” . It’s his song, so he is the final decision. I’m still working on changing his mind. To meet his concept I had to put all other sub mixes in their own sub mix so I could apply some verb and stereo enhancing, since every time I did it on the master it effected the vox too much.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'd have to agree Mark, the vocal is up front and on top, OK? But seems oddly "bone dry".
The vocal performance is also quite pitchy and the timing is all over the place to be honest. The end result of that IMO results in the typical "amateur vocal placed over a tightly gridded backing track" that is unfortunately all too common. There's a disconnect......
Put another way, it feels like the track was separately created in an attempt to accompany the vocal.

I'd have to disagree with this interpretation of "radio ready"
But perhaps he just listens to different stations than I? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks and good to have your feedback Mark. Again I agree. Maybe the feedback in this tread will help. Kinda a hired (free) gun on this project, and ultimately will have to accommodate the writer/vocalist. I’m really happy with the rest of the tracks ( arranged and performed by me and a friend). But he just wants to highlight the vox and lyrics.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, as always Mark, I don't mean to be cruel or harsh, it's just an honest opinion. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Well if the client is happy, you've done a good job. At least you know the difference :P
Mab098157

Re: I need you - Looking for feedback - UPDATED

Post by Mab098157 »

Got the artist to take another run at the vocal. He came back with new lyrics, and still off beat.
Sent him a mix with my vocal, straight rhythm and melody.He saw the light and record this vocal.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-bowie/i-need-you-1

I think it's done.

Any feedback?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind