Guitar Rig 5 Odd behavior in MX8/WIN 10

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

Guitar Rig 5 Odd behavior in MX8/WIN 10

Post by Mab098157 »

Was on the verge of giving up on MX8. I have been struggling with using GTR 5 and the frustration level was pushing me back to MX7.

• Initially after installing 8 when GTR 5 was added to to a track, the behavior was dramatically different.
• When choosing a preset (which can take up to a full minute or more) MX freezes, unfreezes, there are a
series of annoying tones, buzzes, spinning circles and finally GTR is ready for use. changing preset at this
point still has the same behavior, but less time in the process.
• I had recently added a ton of presets and figured this was the cause.
• I reinstalled GTR 5 and kept presets to a minimum.
• Some improvement, but still a huge drain on time and inspiration. Literally it would take me 30 minutes to
just settle on a preset, or give up.

Last night on a whim I tried the following:

Created a template with 3 tracks already setup and loaded with GTR 5.

Template opens as normal and GTR 5 works flawlessly in each track already loaded.

Anyone know why the behavior is so DRAMATICLY different?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Re: Guitar Rig 5 Odd behavior in MX8/WIN 10

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hmm, I was gonna say no problem here, but then I wanted to verify. So I loaded a MX8 project and added GTR tool rig, loaded no problem. Loaded a couple of presets, no problem. But then I had to look because GTR5 sounded unfamiliar.
Yep, my version is showing 3.5 which I guess at least gives a minor clue. And shows I might want to look into updating/upgrading.....

But there's still questions Mark, Like which are you loading, the 32 or 64 bit version, VST3 etc. using MX8 32 or 64 etc.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

I've tried several combinations including 64/64, this last effort has been mx pro 8 32 with gtr 5 64. Both at latest builds. I am still tweaking this desktop, and moved away from laptop ( fan was killing me). 8 and gtr play well together on laptop using Win 8. Win 10 seems like the most likely suspect?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, forgot to point out I am testing on Win10, no problem here so far, but I haven't dug in too deep.

Which leaves me wondering if it's just GTR5?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

I'm still investigating as well. Gonna run thru the "optimizing" suggestions. I haven't encountered any other issue, even a few that gave me issues on the laptop seem to be behaving (ferox tape, pultronic tube). Project load seems possibly slower, or my patience is smaller. I should be keeping a journal. Just glad I found this workaround. Time is too precious to be waiting on a plugin.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

OK, ignore me, my bad.
You wrote Guitar rig, I read GTR. My mistake. I even went searching to see where I might have missed several updates..... :roll: Oldtimers strikes again.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks for the effort Mark.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
James Klutho

Post by James Klutho »

I could never get Guitar Rig 5 to work in Mixcraft 7. After being frustrated, I deleted from my machine. Amplitube works great.

Jim
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Not a solution, but anyone looking at this thread for help.

I reviewed the presets in the sound folder, Native Instruments\Guitar Rig 5\Sounds. Found a lot of multiple versions of presets. Example:

12string.ngrr
12string1.ngrr
12string2.ngrr

Deleted all duplicates in file explorer. Restarted Guitar Rig and it displayed message 3000+ presets removed. This seems to have improved the performance.

It was originally suggested by acoustica support to look at preset, but not in this specific location.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

I dont know if this helps but I have used guitar rig pro 5 in Mix 7 and 8. Never had a problem with it. I am using it now exclusively with Mix 8 and Studio One. Again, no problems with this at all. Presets should load in 1-2 seconds.

I got it with Komplete 10, have tried all the others but amp sims are not that different in sound so came back to guitar rig as I had already paid for it and could not justify purchasing a different one. Now, I've really got into it and am happy with the sounds I get. I also prefer the interface over the others.

I use windows 7 sp1 + convenience update and platform update and am 64 bit with everything. Am in the process of updating my laptop with win 10 and then will try all this on that first before upgrading my main daw computer.

You might want to get a support ticket with Native Instruments also if you are having trouble with it.
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Torton thanks for the detail. Good luck with win 10. I am considering reverting back to 7. I still have no issues with gtr rig 5 in win 7 and Mixcraft 8 pro.

I’ve gotten the impression that NI support is poor regarding gtr rig. But I’ll givw the a chance this weekend.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Torton5

Post by Torton5 »

I've found NI support to be quite good but you have to wait 3 days or so to get an initial response to your query.

Most complaints about NI seem related to their automated internet update service center, which I don't use, mainly because my internet isn't very good. I download updates manually from a different connection then transfer them across.

According to their site, Guitar Rig (latest update) is compatible with Windows 10.

But what does this mean? How can audio hardware and software companies guarantee compatibility with an operating system that changes its spots every month. It's like it's constantly evolving. Forums all over the net are littered with statements like "since win 10 installed so and so update, my (insert important DAW component here) won't work".

I'm hoping to be able to stitch together a version of Windows 10, basic plus the first update or something like that, and then put that on my DAW and allow no further updates as it won't be connected to the net.