Major timing flaw while loop recording audio ???

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

waraba

Major timing flaw while loop recording audio ???

Post by waraba »

Hello, I badly want to love this piece of software, but I'm struggling with a very annoying problem :

I just want to setup a 4 bar loop and record a few takes with my guitar ( I use a kemper with NO latency , SPDIF). I always setup a drum loop first ( from the drum loops or from Easy Drummer 2 )

At the end of my loop there is always a small glitch that ruins my timing, there are a few dozen ms of resync to get back to the start of the loop that kill the utility of being in loop mode.

I'm pretty sure it does not come from my setup, I'm aware of the real time issues and did setup my audio card really right : my other DAWs don't react like this, they perfectly respect the loops, absolutely no freeze between the end of the loop and the restart of this loop. ( I also use riffworks and reaper and they loop perfectly ).

It"s killing me a musician, I can't stand a loop mode that doesn't loop right.

Am I the only one ? This made me drop using mixcraft 7 . I tried the demo of the verion 8, same exact problem :(

Please help me , I love every other aspect of this great software, but arrhythmic loop mode is killing me.
Reactorone

Re: Major timing flaw while loop recording audio ???

Post by Reactorone »

Hi,

Same here, I have the same problem too. :(
No worries with Reaper / Waveform 9 / Reason 10.

Sorry for my bad English...

Thierry
Mixcraft Pro Studio 9 64-Bit Build 436
Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 - 16 MB
Presonus Studio 24c / ADAM Audio T5V
Gibson SG 1983
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Are you recording with Mixcraft7?

Are your loops in .Wav format?

Do you have the same problem if you copy the 4 bars over and over in the track(instead of looping)?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Select the clip and look at it on the Sound tab. Make sure that the loop start and end markers are positioned correctly. The Sound tab has its own snap setting, and you may need to turn that off or lower the increment to get the loop markers positioned the way you want.

I'm assuming this is a wav file, since you recorded it. Do not use MP3 files for loops, because they always have a tiny glitch due to the MP3 header information.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Reactorone

Post by Reactorone »

Thank you for your answers, but the problem does not come from a file "loop" but a recording loop (comping).
When I finish the recording and I listen to the recorded tracks (lane) loop to choose the best, each loop back there is a really fast noise, it's not fluid like other DAW.

I use Mixcraft Pro Studio 8

Thierry
Mixcraft Pro Studio 9 64-Bit Build 436
Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 7 2700 - 16 MB
Presonus Studio 24c / ADAM Audio T5V
Gibson SG 1983
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Reactorone wrote:Thank you for your answers, but the problem does not come from a file "loop" but a recording loop (comping).
When I finish the recording and I listen to the recorded tracks (lane) loop to choose the best, each loop back there is a really fast noise, it's not fluid like other DAW.

I use Mixcraft Pro Studio 8

Thierry
Hi,

Zoom in all the way, is there a small bit of sound at the start or end of the clip? You can add a small fade to get rid of it:

Of course, my other suggestion about the loop markers would also address this issue.

As to why the noise is there in the first place, that might have to do with your audio driver and your sound device settings.

Greg
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Recorded four audio clips only using a loop from the Mixcraft7 library, did not use a "Line In" sound.

Image of the first recorded loop. The Beginning is completely off.
firstloop.png
firstloop.png (86.43 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
Image of the third recorded loop. Looks like there a little delay in the other recorded audio clips.
thirdloop.png
thirdloop.png (60.79 KiB) Viewed 8373 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

You're still using Mixcraft 7?
banzailoco

Post by banzailoco »

Am I the only one ? This made me drop using mixcraft 7 . I tried the demo of the verion 8, same exact problem :(
I got the impression that waraba was still using it. :?

I must have latency issues since there's a delay in the recording, using a built-in sound card :x .

https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9943
waraba

Post by waraba »

hello and thx for your insights, but it's not a loop/wav problem, but more of a glitch before mixcraft restarts the loop.

I use 'magnetic grid' to make sure my loop is correctly setup with 4 bars, no manual adjustments.

If I setup a perfectly round 4 bar drum loop for instance, I launch recording in loop mode , and on the 2nd iteration of the loop a small timing occurs, ruining my timing to start playing where the drums should start. I'm an experienced musician, I know how to play perfectly in time.

This is really a timing issue , imagine a metronome that would add 50 ms on each 4 bars ...

I'm not using mixcraft 8 , but I tried the demo and had the exact same issue ...

It's not a latency problem too, as my other DAW do not react like this, and the audio cr setup is done just like in the others DAW. My roland quad capture has no latency in ASIO.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Record something again and if the problem happens, quit Mixcraft and send us your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
waraba

Post by waraba »

Ok thx, I'll do it but the problem is really easy to reproduce :

just setup a new audio track

setup a 4 bar loop with the metronome ON for REC

hit REC , you don't even have to record something

hear the small timing glitch at the end of the loop while Mixcraft is resyncing to the start of the loop.

It's out of time ! if you count or tap , it's obvious that the timing is not right ...
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Try as I might, cant repro anything as described here. And I believe I have a fairly sensitive ear for such things.....

Are you using snap settings to set your loop area up?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
waraba

Post by waraba »

hello & thx for your interest, yes I use Grid snap on a 4 bar loop.

Cheers
D@n

Post by D@n »

I found a similar problem when playing virtual instrument clips in a loop (marker) and it's extremely frustrating...

...Mixcraft does not let the "release tail" of the notes that are very close to the loop end marker. The sound is then abruptly muted/chopped (causing a crackling sound) each time the loop starts again. So, just like waraba, this "cut off/chopped" sound distracts me when I record several lanes in take mode into loop marker and letting other instrument tracks (already recorded) play.

I don't understand how something so basic can be ignored in Mixcraft. I don't have that problem in FL Studio, Reaper and Sonar.

How do you do this when you use virtual instruments and when you record in take mode several lanes in a loop?

You mute all the other tracks already recorded each time and you record only with the metronome/click so you don't hear this "cut off/chopped" sound at each loop?
I've eclectic tastes: Metal, Orchestral, Chillout, New Age and a bit of EDM

MC Pro Studio 8.1 B413 (64-bit)
W10 64-bit
i7 8700K 4.8 GHz
Focusrite Scarlett2 18i8
Yam HS7/ATH-m40fs/ATH-M50X/
Nektar Impact LX61+/YRG-1000
Rode NT1-A

Ibanez RGAIX6U