WAS: HELP! =( Mixcraft does not receive MIDI output from VST

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tweaksource

WAS: HELP! =( Mixcraft does not receive MIDI output from VST

Post by tweaksource »

I have been struggling for the past 24 hours to render, record, export...anything, a single vsti preceeded by an arpeggiator plugin. This is obscenely difficult in Mixcraft, my only real criticism so far.

It appears that the pattern coming from the arpeggiator is eaten by the synth instrument (it doesn't go through, just stops there). Lack of internal MIDI routing may be what keeps me opening Ableton Live...

Anyway, I stumbled on a relatively sane way to get this audio and thought I'd share.

The track will play if other tracks are playing with it. It will not play by itself, nor will it play (or export) if the other tracks are muted. I actually started with only this track with the arp / synth and it took forever to even get it to play.

TLDR - Have another track playing the length of the track you want the export of. Lower the volume of said track all the way. You can't mute it. Just drop the fader.
Then export the mix (which is only the track you're after) to WAV or whatever and you've got the audio.

Hope this helps someone.
Acoustica Greg

Re: WAS: HELP! =( Mixcraft does not receive MIDI output from VST

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's working as designed. That's how you route MIDI from an arp to a virtual instrument, by putting them on the same track. That way, you can arpeggiate virtual instruments that don't have an arp function.

I suppose if you didn't want the output of the arp to be routed into another virtual instrument, and you still wanted them on the same track, you'd put the virtual instrument before the arp.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

It's working as designed. That's how you route MIDI from an arp to a virtual instrument, by putting them on the same track. That way, you can arpeggiate virtual instruments that don't have an arp function.

I suppose if you didn't want the output of the arp to be routed into another virtual instrument, and you still wanted them on the same track, you'd put the virtual instrument before the arp.

Greg
Yes, but as said many times before, it is impossible to record the midi output of the arp even though it is feeding the virtual instrument. It is a ridiculous limitation. Mixcraft is a piece of recording and mixing studio software (for the recording and manipulation of ideas), not a virtual mixer which can record some things but not midi information that can be manipulated then fed out upon playback to a virtual instrument and eventually rendered after the midi has been manipulated. Surely this ridiculous situation has persisted long enough ?!!!
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I don’t think that was the question, unless I misunderstood.

Recording the MIDI output of plugins is still a feature request, of course.

Greg
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Yes Hi there Greg,
tweaksource wrote:It appears that the pattern coming from the arpeggiator is eaten by the synth instrument (it doesn't go through, just stops there). Lack of internal MIDI routing may be what keeps me opening Ableton Live...
The quote is about the midi output of the arpeggiator not being recorded to be further manipulated. i.e. Mixcraft needs to recognise virtual arpeggiators and sequencers as Midi input devices. Hopefully it will appear soon, maybe whenever the next version of Mixcraft comes out, whenever that will be (I sort of expected it to appear around January again, but it didn't, though I have no desire to push for it being an early release date, if it isn't ready).
Windows 10 Professional
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

But having the next virtual instrument “eat” the MIDI is by design. That is how Mixcraft routes MIDI from one virtual instrument to another.

Having an option to record the MIDI output of plugins is definitely logged as a feature request.

Greg
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

But having the next virtual instrument “eat” the MIDI is by design. That is how Mixcraft routes MIDI from one virtual instrument to another.

How come you can layer 3 or more instruments then, if the 1st or 2nd eats the output ? That suggests more an open ended 'thru' than an 'eat' structure in the routing
Windows 10 Professional
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I have a novice question that is related if I may. Regarding the subject matter of this thread, does this mean that Mixcraft cannot record the output of VSTi s in general or only the portion output by arpeggiators?
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Thomas wrote:I have a novice question that is related if I may. Regarding the subject matter of this thread, does this mean that Mixcraft cannot record the output of VSTi s in general or only the portion output by arpeggiators?
Hi,

It can't directly record the output of VSTi or effects, but this is a feature request that has been logged.

Some people use a workaround in the meantime: if you can direct the output of the plugin to another MIDI device, you could install a MIDI loopback utility like LoopBe or LoopMIDI, and then arm a virtual instrument track to record the output of the MIDI utility.

Greg
rrichard63

Post by rrichard63 »

Acoustica Greg wrote: ... It can't directly record the output of VSTi or effects, but this is a feature request that has been logged.

Some people use a workaround in the meantime: if you can direct the output of the plugin to another MIDI device, you could install a MIDI loopback utility like LoopBe or LoopMIDI, and then arm a virtual instrument track to record the output of the MIDI utility.
This issue comes up frequently -- often enough that I suggest creating a sticky post with details on the workaround.
sammy1977

Post by sammy1977 »

Hi,

I thought I'd post my work around for this issue after a long time searching.

Voxengo produce a plugin that can record midi output through the FX section of the track that you wish to record. You can then just save and paste the audio track directly into mixcraft with any effects from your midi output intact. Much easier than trying to use a midiloop IMO. Mixcraft 9 allows the application of arpeggiators etc. just simply selecting multiple instruments on the track panel. It was the effects that were specific to the VST synth that I had problems recording.

https://www.voxengo.com/product/recorder/