Sound Card Recomendations

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Thomas

Re: Sound Card Recomendations

Post by Thomas »

This has to do with navigating windows explorer. You need to know how to navigate your system. Yes, where it says user name you need to substitute whatever name your computer account is called, Bob, Tom, Joe whatever. Also I forgot to mention that appdata is a hidden folder. When you're in windows explorer you would go to the top of the screen, make sure the "view" tab is selected and check the box next to "hidden items". The name of the file is Mixcraft-Log.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What he said, and if you're having trouble finding the appdata folder, you should fall back to the original instructions and copy and paste this entire line into the Windows Run box:

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\

Bring up the Windows run box by pressing the Windows key and R

Look for Mixcraft-log or Mixcraft-log.txt and attach that to your support request.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Caution!

I am always hesitant/concerned about guiding a user into hidden/system folders when they are (for example) struggling with cut and paste instructions.

COPY the indicated file per the previous instructions and paste it as an attachment in your support request via the support button/path at the top of this page.
If you do not understand this, you probably need more help.
DO NOT change anything in those folders, being unfamiliar with the purpose/function. You could do far more damage than good wandering around there...….
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You don't really want to copy and paste the mixcraft-log.txt file, you just want to attach it. It can be hard to read if it's copied and pasted into an email, especially if there are no line breaks (which happens sometimes).

Greg
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Thomas wrote:This has to do with navigating windows explorer. You need to know how to navigate your system. Yes, where it says user name you need to substitute whatever name your computer account is called, Bob, Tom, Joe whatever. Also I forgot to mention that appdata is a hidden folder. When you're in windows explorer you would go to the top of the screen, make sure the "view" tab is selected and check the box next to "hidden items". The name of the file is Mixcraft-Log.
I put in my user name and I get the same error message, I searched for Mixcraft-Log. I tried it in the search box and found nothing. I tried it in Run and found nothing.

A search for appdata turned up nothing. I'm about to go out and throttle a software geek. :lol: Call me dumb but I would think that if one searches for a file on ones computer one would be able to find it.

Obviously, this isn't working. Windows being Windows is only complicating what should be a straight forward issue and Windows 10 being better than 8 and worse than 7 I'm thinking about picking up a Mac and running Boot Camp although I prefer a PC from a hardware perspective and for the fact that Apple is a global corporate gangster that abuses its foreign workers/slaves. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

I'm lost. I can't say if this is a Windows issue, a Mixcraft issue, a hardware issue or a driver issue. One minute I think it's Mixcraft now I am getting sound on my other programs but only through my headphones. My laptop speakers cut out during a Youtube video. Mixcraft was closed. They have not worked since. VIRUS???

I GREATLY APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!

I think it's geek time because I can't diagnose this. It should not be this hard for normal people.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What happens if you try this?

1. Highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

2. Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows.
3. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above.

Does that pop up a folder where you can see the mixcraft-log file?

Greg
comedians

Post by comedians »

You should be searching for Mixcraft.log - not Mixcraft-log as earlier stated.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

comedians wrote:You should be searching for Mixcraft.log - not Mixcraft-log as earlier stated.
Hi,

No, it's mixcraft-log.txt, but we've been writing mixcraft-log, since we're assuming that file extensions are hidden.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Acoustica Greg wrote:You don't really want to copy and paste the mixcraft-log.txt file, you just want to attach it. It can be hard to read if it's copied and pasted into an email, especially if there are no line breaks (which happens sometimes).
Greg
Yep, that's what I meant. The difficulty I was speaking of was really with TheHound's problems getting the instructions to work. I have just seen it too many times- lead people into the hidden file zone and mistakes made that make matters worse. As frustrating as it can be, they are hidden for a reason. 8)

Beyond that, dont have much to offer. Sorry to say. The files pop right up for me. Always have.
But FWIW, As far as I am concerned, Win10 reaks of a malodious odor of a very special magnatude. And Microsofts approach of forcing updates down our throat without notice much less a description, earns them a very special place in my heart.

Just sayin'
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm going to post those instructions again:

What happens if you try this?

1. Highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

2. Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows.
3. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above.

Does that pop up a folder where you can see the mixcraft-log file?

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

Another option (don't want to muddy the waters too much)

If you go to the directory C:/Program Files/Acoustica Mixcraft 8/

You will see a shortcut to the Log Files directory (see the picture)
If you click on this it will take you to the log file directory ….
Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg (536.65 KiB) Viewed 5597 times
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

TheHound wrote:I put in my user name and I get the same error message, I searched for Mixcraft-Log. I tried it in the search box and found nothing. I tried it in Run and found nothing.

A search for appdata turned up nothing. I'm about to go out and throttle a software geek. :lol: Call me dumb but I would think that if one searches for a file on ones computer one would be able to find it.

Obviously, this isn't working. Windows being Windows is only complicating what should be a straight forward issue and Windows 10 being better than 8 and worse than 7 I'm thinking about picking up a Mac and running Boot Camp although I prefer a PC from a hardware perspective and for the fact that Apple is a global corporate gangster that abuses its foreign workers/slaves. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-30532463

I'm lost. I can't say if this is a Windows issue, a Mixcraft issue, a hardware issue or a driver issue. One minute I think it's Mixcraft now I am getting sound on my other programs but only through my headphones. My laptop speakers cut out during a Youtube video. Mixcraft was closed. They have not worked since. VIRUS???

I think it's geek time because I can't diagnose this. It should not be this hard for normal people.
It's quite possible you have malware or a corrupt OS. I recommend you find a Windows savvy friend or if not, hire a PC tech. We don't know your experience level and as Mark said, it is possible to muck things up if you are not sure what you are doing. Hang in there.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

outteh wrote:Another option (don't want to muddy the waters too much)

If you go to the directory C:/Program Files/Acoustica Mixcraft 8/

You will see a shortcut to the Log Files directory (see the picture)
If you click on this it will take you to the log file directory ….
Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
Hi,

This is also a good suggestion for finding the log file.

Greg
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Thomas wrote:
TheHound wrote:I put in my user name and I get the same error message, I searched for Mixcraft-Log. I tried it in the search box and found nothing. I tried it in Run and found nothing.

It's quite possible you have malware or a corrupt OS. I recommend you find a Windows savvy friend or if not, hire a PC tech. We don't know your experience level and as Mark said, it is possible to muck things up if you are not sure what you are doing. Hang in there.
A tech is the next step.

I have run malware programs. I'll try another one.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

This has gotten difficult to follow and as much as I would like to help I keep just feeling a bit lost.
Your problem description is now scatter gunned over some 7 or more threads you have either started or piggy backed onto and to be blunt, the topic lacks focus and you haven't exactly been forthcoming when asked questions by people who are trying to help with the detective work to assist you. I think I asked about specifics such as sound device settings at some long ago point and there was no reply, just new threads and more tangents.

The analysis of the requested log file would provide clues, even given the problem is almost certainly not Mixcraft.
I have previously mentioned and still maintain your primary issues are sound card/driver oriented.

If I am following correctly (big leap of faith) you have been using a laptop's built in sound card in WaveRT mode.
Or did you say you also have/use a Behringer interface? Or was that someone else?

And if I am adding the clues together properly it is one of those laptop soundcards that shares one jack that reconfigures itself depending on what is plugged in? If so, I can tell you one of my laptops has one of those and the driver is a strange and quirky beast. While it doesn't do the same things you have described, it does trigger pop up windows when you plug in headphones, etc. and I can see where these changes could possibly trigger some "change of hardware" configuration confusion with Mixcraft. Like I said, mine doesn't do exactly what you describe, but it does cause some strange behavior in general, using Mixcraft or not.

The changes you have described could be caused by a corrupt or damaged driver program or the soundcard itself. And as I previously pointed out, self diagnostics may report that all is well. These are not very reliable in my experience.
I would also add I have seen on multiple occasions where "repair utility" programs cause more problems than they solve, and this set of issues fits in well with the results I have seen in the past. On several occasions I have in fact seen "system mechanic" or similar utilities render a computer useless as a result. The results can be worse than the problems they are intended to fix. Just mentioning this as I seem to recall you mentioning the use of such things at various points.

If you are the user who had the USB interface, or have access to someone's to plug in and test, this would provide confirmation, as it "bypasses" the on board sound card.

Wait, back way up...... Aren't you the user who some time ago mentioned using your guitar amps headphone output into the soundcard input as a "preamp" to boost gain? Don't know what just jogged my memory, but if so, yikes. If I am correct about this, and the previous "self interpreting" jack configuration scenario......
May be a clue there somewhere I reckon. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page