Building REALLY cheap test speakers

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

Building REALLY cheap test speakers

Post by chibear »

We all want to test our mixes on as many systems as possible before publishing. Here is a very cheap way to add another sonic opinion before burning that first test CD.

I've been interested in flat panel speakers for decades, ever since I heard my first pair of Quads. A couple of months ago I came upon this video which lead me to the Parts Express website which lead me to this 150+-page topic which also linked to another huge thread on another forum that addressed the same topic and also had links to the original NXT patents and white papers on the subject.

Well I decided to give it a try and, as extruded styrofoam seemed to be the best affordable material of choice, I bought 2 one inch x 2' x 8' SM "Cladmate" panels and some exciters from Parts Express and went for it. The results so far are not the speakers of my dreams but will be very useful for testing mixes as they are brutally honest in exposing mistakes of the mixing and mastering variety. If you are any kind of tinkerer this is an enjoyable project with a useful outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBa3vaPwqIs

EDIT:Tech Ingredients has come out with a second video adding to their research. I'll be experimenting with some of his changes next time I work on the project.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
mick

Re: Building REALLY cheap test speakers

Post by mick »

Quad electrostatic speakers from the 1960's and Lowther single driver horn loaded standing about a metre tall I cannot forget. Amazing! :D
chibear

Post by chibear »

A friend of mine put 2 quads in a movable rack/channel and had 15" Tannoys to fill out the bass. Personally I thought the Tannoys were over kill as he had to turn them way down, plus no matter how he played with it the crossover was apparent. This was about 1976 so maybe with today's hardware it could work. With the DMLs I'm having to be very careful about how I bring in and balance the sub.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
mick

Post by mick »

Good luck with it! :D