Melodyne v Waves Tune

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

nigelcato

Melodyne v Waves Tune

Post by nigelcato »

For a brief time, I have two amazing deals to choose from:
Waves have their Vocal Bundle for $59 USD ($88 NZD) which includes Waves Tune (which is also $29 USD by itself)
Acoustica is offering the Upgrade to Pro for $49 USD ($73 NZD), which includes Melodyne Essentials

I am currently trying to evaluate both using their Demos, but I can't seem to get Melodyne working as a Plugin. I assume these integration issues would not occur if it came as a bundled plugin with Mixcraft Pro, but at this stage I don't actually know how to work it, whereas I did get Waves Tune going ok.
Any advice on how to get the Melodyne plugin working? The "Transfer Window" won't activate (sounds like a sports story!)
I can't seem to get it going as a standalone either.

Which one should I go for? And don't say both!
Frantiac

Re: Melodyne v Waves Tune

Post by Frantiac »

I use Waves Tune quite happily with Cubase Elements 9.5. but some time ago I gave up trying to get get Waves Rewire to work with Mixcraft, which incidentally is not supported by Waves.

However, Mixcraft Pro's built-in and perfectly synchronized Melodyne works great, with the added bonus that it can be used with other DAWs once installed.

My advice would be to upgrade Mixcraft.
Focusrite Scarlett SOLO 3rd Gen --> Intel i3-9100, 8 GB RAM --> Windows 10 Pro --> Mixcraft 10.5 Pro Studio
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

nigelcato wrote:Any advice on how to get the Melodyne plugin working? The "Transfer Window" won't activate (sounds like a sports story!)

You do not need to use the transfer function of Melodyne in Mixcraft, you just use the Mixcraft 'Add Sound File' function, then go to the 'Sound' Tab at the bottom of the screen (Top left, next to where it says 'Editor' there is a 'Melodyne' button, click it and Melodyne loads on the track).
Mixcraft sound tab with Melodyne.jpg
Mixcraft sound tab with Melodyne.jpg (108.39 KiB) Viewed 5963 times
Sound Tab Melofyne 2.jpg
Sound Tab Melofyne 2.jpg (165.48 KiB) Viewed 5962 times
Note to Greg. Why is it me having to point this out ? :lol:
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Frantiac wrote:but some time ago I gave up trying to get get Waves Rewire to work with Mixcraft,
I have used Waves Rewire in Mixcraft in order to use Waves Tune. It does work, admittedly I've forgotten how as after I got Veilklang I lost interest. I've recently did a double upgrade to Melodyne Studio and use it as a Standalone to tear apart finished tracks, which I then use in Mixcraft (which doesn't have full integration with the Studio version's multi-track or Harmonics or Formant functions etc., but does enable Polyphonic Detection methods as the full standalone version does, just not the 'separate into separate tracks according to selection' function.
nigelcato wrote:Which one should I go for? And don't say both!
My advice is go for Melodyne
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Before I begin let me qualify my post by saying that I have both Melodyne Studio as well as Waves Tune and Waves Tune Real-Time BUT I've not spent much time with any OTHER than to ensure that they're all working with Mixcraft Pro Studio (which they do).

Not in any particular order:

The transfer window in Melodyne (Studio anyway) does work. Add the sound track in Mixcraft with Melodyne as an effect and then play the track in Mixcraft. Once the track has played completely Melodyne does its thing (it needs to "learn" so far as I can tell). I don't recall having issues with any of the Melodyne functions not working as expected i.e. it opens all the tracks, detects polyphony (funny word that hey). But do note that I'm taking about Melodyne Studio here. I never really cared much for the Melodyne supplied with Mixcraft (didn't really do anything for me BUT I never spent any time with it and, frankly, hate working anything "limited").

Wave Tune does work using rewire no problem.

Now I'm REALLY not sure about the statements I'm about to make but I'm going to make them anyway:

So far as I can tell the Waves Tune plugin is more geared towards vocals (the only reason I got it i.e. I'm having issues finding a vocalist). Melodyne (again: Melodyne Studio anyway) is far more versatile and has many more features i.e. it's more open-ended (for want of a better word). Please do note that these statements (observations???) are based purely on the way the two are marketed. As I said: I've not spent enough time with either to be sure about this.

One more thing to consider: Melodyne (ANY version) needs PC POWER to work. When I open Melodyne in Mixcraft my CPU utilisation jumps into the red BIG time until everything is loaded and running (and with anything else I very rarely, if ever, reach 10%). I've not noticed this with the Waves Tune plugin. Note also I'm referring to Waves Tune and NOT Waves Tune LT. I also have Waves Tune Real-Time and no issues with CPU utilisation.

And, of course, there's a cost consideration i.e. there's a BIG difference in price between the Waves plugins and Melodyne (again: Studio anyway). I DO HONESTLY believe you get what you pay for BUT it all depends on what you want from these applications i.e. if it's just vocal processing then Waves may be the better option (if price is a consideration and, well, for just vocals: Melodyne may be a total overkill).

There's my UN-technical input on the topic!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hey nigelcato.

Just curious if you made your decision and what it was and how it’s working out for you???

Regards,

Dale.
starise

Post by starise »

There are a few side issues regarding this choice as well. One of those is that Waves plugins require a periodic "Waves Upgrade Plan" Called WUP for short. So while you can buy the plugin for 29.00 now you will , at some point in the future be asked to pay WUP. I think my WUP isn't due until 2020 again. You can continue to use the plugin without WUP at the risk of it not being updated or it could become obsolete. The more Waves plugins you have the more it costs to WUP. At last count I had around 1000 plugins with many of those being Waves. The good news is you can go through a third party like everyplugin.com, contact them and ask for a discount. I was able through a new purchase and a discount to pay half of the normal WUP.

So you see, a 29.00 plugin from Waves can cost you more in the future. I have Waves Tune and sadly, I haven't had the time to try it out yet. I regularly use Melodyne though and it uses ARA technology. Officially I don't see it as a plugin. It doesn't work the same. In some daws you can simply drag a midi track onto an audio tack and ARA converts it to audio. Even though I haven't used Waves Tune I still recommend Melodyne which is light years ahead of pretty much anything else. Though the basic studio version is great for most mono audio, upgrading it is the way to go since you have a lot more capability.

Melodyne will try and get you to upgrade too. They all do that. It doesn't hurt. Working ITB isn't free. Fortunately you can hold off a long time if what you have presently works.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

Great observations. I sort of noticed this with Waves too (fortunately I only have a have handful and was pleasantly surprised with the new v10 upgrades that I'd already paid) (this time around anyway).

Only thing I'd like to correct:
... the basic studio version ...
Not a good choice of words (I know what you meant and you know what you meant but somebody who is not familiar with the different versions of Melodyne will get confused). The version supplied with Mixcraft is the Essentials version (which is the basic version). The Studio version is the full (and costly) version.

Regards,

Dale.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I would add to @starise's comments, not intending to knock Waves plugs, but be aware.
I you use Waves plug ins and let the (stupid) update plans expire, then update the shells when a current version is replaced, a special kind of hell awaits you. Been there.
Rolling back to the previous version and getting everything you use working again is not a fun chore. :evil:

Updates should be included with purchase. Upgrades should be painless.
Like all good, easy to use software...…..
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

I you use Waves plug ins and let the (stupid) update plans expire, then update the shells when a current version is replaced, a special kind of hell awaits you. Been there.
You never cease to put a smile on my dial!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.