WAV file jumped from 27 mb to 3.9 gb ?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

WAV file jumped from 27 mb to 3.9 gb ?

Post by Mab098157 »

Had a scare last week with the project.
Finally solved it few nights ago.

My project started acting inconsistent, would not open or opened then immediately shut down.

When it did open, after minutes of loading, the system and application resources were at 100 to 98% for minutes before dropping down to 20-30%.

I could make some adjustments, but it still sometimes shutdown with no error message?

Contacted support, they made the usual suggestion (use wavert, increase latency, etc) . Just didn't make any sense, since this project and all other projects had been working well with this current settings. It seemed like something was wrong with this specific project.

I created a zip file of the project to transfer to my laptop. Same results.

I dug deep into the project and looked at the *.wav files.

Surprisingly 1 file had jumped from 27 mb to 3.9 gb! . Never experienced this before.

Opening this wav in media player I was able to determine that it was a backup vocal track. And it seemed like media player still had issue determining the length of the file. Original track was only 8 bars, but I suspect this wav was hours (?) long.

I have no idea why or how it got this way. I deleted that file and everything is back to normal, after I had the load skip the file and deleted the track entirely.

I just had to to sing into the can again.

Anyone else experience this?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Re: WAV file jumped from 27 mb to 3.9 gb ?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What are the quality settings of the wav file? If it has super high audio quality settings, the file will be super large.

Greg

P.S. The reason I suggest that people switch from Wave to ASIO (or WaveRT) is because Wave mode is crap. You will have poorer audio performance, higher latency, and other issues if you use Wave mode. It's only there for the few Windows XP holdouts who don't have ASIO devices.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks Greg.

I will play with these setting, but in the past ASIO and my interface (old tascam) never allowed me to set latency below 30, let alone the 9 I currently use.

Regarding this wave file, I suppose it is possible that I accidentally changed those settings? But as I said I have had the same set up for years. And don't recall the last time I access setup, with the exception of changing output device.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I don't know what might have happened, but the first thing to do is to just look at the file and see what the quality settings are.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

hen this project is put to bed (hopefully soon), I will restore and review this 3.9 gb wav file. I'm head down now. Just thought I'd start the thread in case someone is struggling with the same symptoms, but hasn't yet looked at the files sizes in the project.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind