Guitar multi-effect + audio interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sherif

Guitar multi-effect + audio interface

Post by sherif »

Hi Guys

firstly i'm from Egypt and i;m not perfect with English language sorry for that. My question is that possible to plug my Zoom g3xn multi-effect with the scarlett audio inter face for recording track? when i do this i listen good quality through monitor studio headset but when i save it as Mp3 with high quality the sound so bad so how can i resolve this?

Thanks a lot
dpaterson

Re: Guitar multi-effect + audio interface

Post by dpaterson »

Hello.

And welcome.

Sure we can help.

There is no reason why you cannot use your Zoom with a Focusrite Scarlett and Mixcraft i.e. they all should work together just fine.

You say the sound is bad when saved to MP3. Could you be more specific??? Maybe attach a recording???

Regards,

Dale.
starise

Post by starise »

I would check the Scarlette interface levels. The software that came with the Scarlette has controls to set the levels. If too high sound will be distorted.

Also when making the mp3 it should be a high resolution. Not 128 but 256 or higher resolution. Post example if possible.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
sherif

Post by sherif »

Thank you Dale.I will try to make the sound level of audio interface low. I think this is one of mu mistakes then I will feedback agin if I ha e any issue.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It's always hard to know what to suggest, not knowing more specifically what your methods are and also, not being familiar with your particular gear.
And you mention comparing the sound on headphones to the sound of the MP3 you create, but don't mention where in the chain your headphones are plugged in.

But along with the good advise to try a lower recording level at the interface, you might also consider the possibility that the processed output of the effects pedal may be a bit hot for the input of the interface. It might be a good idea to try turning the output of the Zoom device down some as well.
Just a guess.

Best advise is probably to experiment a bit.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
sherif

Post by sherif »

Hi Dale

i follow your advise and the sound getting better now. Can you please check the below link this is my trial track if you want to advise or lead me to the right thing. now i feel better with good qulity sound.

My headset monitor studio called Neewer is cheap one but its not bad

https://soundcloud.com/user406198223

i have only one comment that when you listen to the track there is air sound i need to remove this i dont know how.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hello sherif.

It's actually Mark and starise you should be thanking i.e. I only said that I know that your hardware setup should work is all.

But I've listened to your track (thanks for uploading).

I'm the wrong person to ask as to what's wrong with it i.e. I'm pretty sure there are more qualified people here to pass comment. This being said my two cents worth is this (all other things aside): to me it does sound as though your recording levels are too high i.e. I can hear distorted (and not in a nice way) audio in the track. I think starise already knew what the problem was going to be i.e. maybe your recording levels going into the Scarlett are too high and / or you're applying effects that are pushing the audio beyond an acceptable limit. Not to get too technical if you're starting out but it's very important: you need to read up on "gain staging" and implement it. Once you've got that knowledge then fixing the mix and getting some tone etc. would be next I reckon.

As a bit of a guide (I'm not sure what tools you have at your disposal):

Make sure that the input indicators on the Scarlett NEVER turn anything else other than green when recording (and even THAT may still be too much input). Within Mixcraft: ensure that those track recording level meters NEVER go red and preferably don't even turn yellow while recording anything. Based on my experience here that would put you (very roughly) in a reasonable area (but of course there are tools available to ensure that your recording and mixing levels are 100% correct). If your levels are too high in Mixcraft as noted above: turn the gain down on the Scarlett or use the PAD buttons to decrease input levels even further. Also make sure that those LINE/INST switches are set correctly (Line Input or Instrument Input). I doubt very much that the problem lies with the mixdown to MP3 but rather in your source material before mixing down. While MP3 does degrade quality it doesn't totally destroy or distort audio.

Regards,

Dale.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well of course I can only comment on what I hear, and since the question was based on a difference between monitoring the sound and the rendered MP3, I cant hear that...….
You might try mixing down to wav and comparing, see if there's a clue there.

And judging based on the sound clip supplied, I am not sure about the input levels, they may not be so much a problem at this point, I don't know.

Commenting strictly on the guitar, since that seemed to be most of the point of the question and audio clip:

I would suggest at least some improvement could come from working on the Zoom device settings.
Focusing on the two primary guitar tones, both are quite "thin" and "trebly". Not much "meat" to the timbre. Especially the higher pitched arpeggiated playing. Very harsh tones.
I think I would try reducing the wet/dry mix where applicable to reduce the amount of processing, and adjust the tone knobs where applicable to get more mid/lower mid tone.
It also might help to be sure to set your tones in context and not in solo. What sounds good alone rarely sounds good blended with other sounds.

I have found in general, when it comes to guitar processing, in most cases less sounds better. Too much rarely sounds "warm" or "nice" IMO.
But as always, its hard for me to judge your intent. That may be the sound you are going for.

Hope that helps! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page