Using mixcraft, voicemeeter with Snowball blue mic

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

yannicktmusic

Using mixcraft, voicemeeter with Snowball blue mic

Post by yannicktmusic »

Hi,
I'm a singer and I absolutely love mixcraft. I've recording a lot of music withit However can anyone advise on the best settings to record lead and background vocals as well as mixing. I'm currently using mixcraft 7, Voicemeeter and a Snowball Blue Condenser mic with shields and pop filters. I also have the spitfish software as well . What settings would be good for recording and mixing. Any advice would help,
Thanks
Mark Bliss

Re: Using mixcraft, voicemeeter with Snowball blue mic

Post by Mark Bliss »

Extremely broad and vague question I'm afraid.

Best settings?
What are you going for? What have you tried? What is the problem with your results?
Are you asking about levels? Dynamic processing? Effects?

I know Voicemeeter is a virtual mixer, but have no experience with it. What are you doing with it? What does it do for you that can't be done natively in Mixcraft?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
yannicktmusic

Post by yannicktmusic »

Mark Bliss wrote:Extremely broad and vague question I'm afraid.

Best settings?
What are you going for? What have you tried? What is the problem with your results?

I know Voicemeeter is a virtual mixer, but have no experience with it. What are you doing with it? What does it do for you that can't be done natively in Mixcraft?
I would like info about levels, dynamic processing, effects, levels of compressors etc
yannicktmusic

Post by yannicktmusic »

Mark Bliss wrote:Extremely broad and vague question I'm afraid.

Best settings?

I would like info about levels, dynamic processing, effects, levels of compressors etc
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

yannicktmusic wrote:I would like info about levels, dynamic processing, effects, levels of compressors etc
Not much to go on here. So largely just taking wild guesses.
The Blue Snowball is a USB mic if I am not mistaken. And I am guessing Voicemeeter is first in the input chain? Standalone virtual mixer? Routing? (I really have no idea.)

If I am on the right track with my assumptions, you would be setting the initial input level in Voicemeeter.
I would start with the level fluctuating around the 2/3rds area of the meter in Voicemeeter.

Voicemeeter has some dynamic processing built in, as well as EQ correct?
Setting these would rely nearly entirely on the recorded material and desired style. So I cant tell you much beyond this:
If the recording is fairly level and smooth, mic technique is good and proper distance/location is discovered and well maintained- Modest to moderate compression (Audibility knob on the Voicemeter GUI I think?) would result in a more open and possibly more "vintage" style result, while more "Audibility" will likely give you a more "modern/compressed" result. I would suspect better results would come from using modest amounts and adding more later in a "mixing" stage of production, rather than using too much initially. Again, guessing.

EQ would be entirely to taste, relative to the recorded material and desired style/result. I would suggest experimentation.

Coming out of Voicemeter into Mixcraft, I would suggest level matchig by ear, to try and get the same level as the mic input. IE: no obvious level gain added by the Voicemeter processing. Similar levels should be seen on the Mixcraft track level meter as the Voicemeeter input level meter.

Effects are another area where it relys entirely on the desired result. Delays are common, as are reverbs. Combinations of further processing and results are endless.

Have you explored the Voicemeeter tutorials/info for suggestions?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page