Cause We've ended as Lovers- ala Jeff Beck

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

EL34

Cause We've ended as Lovers- ala Jeff Beck

Post by EL34 »

I have been messing around with the Stevie Wonder tune, Cause we've ended as lovers, but done as Beck did it on the Blow by Blow album.

I don't even deserve to clean Beck's boots with my tongue let alone do this tune, but it's a great learning experience.
I didn't really try and copy any of beck's licks, I just let er rip, but I have been listening to this tune for 30 years so there's bound to be some stolen ideas.

Hope someone digs this style of guitar instrumental.
It's just a learning experience, but let me know if something sucks reall bad and I'll fix it.

Right click and choose "Save as"
Play in your favorite mp3 player.
http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/fil ... Lovers.mp3

Tone chain:
Ibanez JS1200CA guitar -> Tube preamp -> Soundcard line in -> Guitar Rig 3 -> Mixcraft 4
ukulele123

Post by ukulele123 »

great song & great playing of you !
really verry good and your guitar tone is nice too !

thx verry much for it

ukulele
________
Honda CBF250 history
Last edited by ukulele123 on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Wow, a beloved tune.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Sounds pretty cool...guitar rig is a decent program however its a bit pricey for me to get right now however it gives the music a nice sound...did you record it all dry and then add amp sim and effects...just wondering.

Nice Job on the song... 8)
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Hey guys thanks.

I don't use guitar rig as a vst effect
I record the exact tone you hear and be done with it.
I don't care for that vst/record it dry then add effects method.
I like to keep things simple.

I plug my guitar into a custom stereo tube pre amp-> then into the sound card line in-> then guitar rig-> then mixcraft
marcus6xx

Post by marcus6xx »

Excellent tribute, very nice. Funny, I was thinking of attempting this tune with Mixcraft and Beatcraft, as I have been listening to it since I first picked up a guitar 25 years ago. I spent much of my formative first year or two sitting with the Blow By Blow album and working it out.

I'm curious to know what you did for the accompanying instruments. Live drums or digital/sequenced? Did you also play bass and keys?

Really enjoyed it, and that's from a long-time Beck disciple. keep em comin--
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Hey, thanks Marcus.

I must have listened to all the old Beck albums 1000 times each.
(Jeff Beck for all you youngsters, not that other Beck dude) :D

Anywho, I actually found the complete backing track on the web and just played over it.

I get pretty tired of having to create everything from scratch, and so now and then, I just use a backing track.

It's way faster and way more fun.
There's no way I could do all the drum parts in Beatcraft for this tune.
marcus6xx

Post by marcus6xx »

Cool---any way you could give me the link to the place you found the backing tracks? --I had no idea you could get those online--
I have some cover and original tunes at the link below, I'd be interested in hearing your reviews--I did most of what you are hearing on Mixcraft and Beatcraft (see my post on the "User Showcase" forum of this site for the specific songs done w/the software)--if you'd ever be interested in collaboration, let me know---here's the link to my stuff:

www.sonicbids.com/rozter
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Here's the backing tracks link
http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list

Here's my sound clips page.
About 50 or so tunes here if you are interested.

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/Music/music1.htm

I'll have a listen to your tunes later today when things calm down here.
see ya
marcus6xx

Post by marcus6xx »

Thanks much----I checked out the website and it looks like there is a lot there to keep a guitarist busy for a while--also took a listen to a number of your soundclips and was very impressed---good stuff---I look forward to hearing more--
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Thanks,
I listened to several of yours also.
Great guitar tone.

I don't really listen to many songs with vocals, so it's hard for me to comment on them.

I'm one of those geeks that listens to mostly guitar instrumental music.

Not a very popular style of music these days it seems.

Glad to see you had a few instrumentals on your site. :)
marcus6xx

Post by marcus6xx »

Thanks for the kind comments--I checked out the backing tracks site you suggested and it was great--I also found a few more, and a link to one of the better (and free) ones is below--

www.freshbt.com

Lotsa good stuff there--
I appreciate the compliment on tone, I always obsess over it---all I am running through is an old Digitech RP7 multi-effects floor processor straight into an M-Audio Firewire Solo interface and into a track on mixcraft. I do a little post processing to tweak it, but that's about it. Not terribly happy with the set-up, but it's easier than fussing with my old 60's era silvertone amp (sometimes mic'd w/a Shure SM57). I noticed you were using Guitar Rig 3, I hadn't heard of it until now---looks pretty versatile. Thinking of giving it a try.
Cya round the forum--
EL34

Post by EL34 »

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Oh man, Guitar rig is so easy and awesome to record with.

I have a big stack of hand made tube amps here, but I prefer to record with guitar rig.

This is coming from a guy that used to build custom tube amps for several big name acts.

It's pricey, but it blows away hardware devices like toneport.