Parallel Compression

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Parallel Compression

Post by dpaterson »

Hello all.

For those looking for a richer, fuller, rounder sound with presence then take a look at the following article and give it a bash:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ompression

I've gotten some amazing results so far (although still experimenting and learning of course). In my first attempt I used a limiter as opposed to a compressor (noted as an option in the article) and I added three compressed (limited) tracks to the master track (they go up to seven in that article which, I did try, but it was "too much") (for me anyway) (you can get to a point, well I did anyway, where you're defeating the object of the exercise in beefing up the "core" of your audio while leaving the transients etc. intact). Again: it's one of those things that you don't miss if you never had it but once you've heard it on a track it's hard to go back to the original (thin???) version.

Note that the idea came from watching those "Mix With The Masters" videos (details on another thread above).

Regards,

Dale.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Parallel Compression

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Here's a graphic I did a long time ago:

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Another quick tip:
Some of these modern digital plug-in compressor thingies have a wet/dry blend function.

Have fun! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Thanks for that Greg.
Some of these modern digital plug-in compressor thingies have a wet/dry blend function.
Too easy!!! LOL!!!

On a serious note though: that doesn't give you much control though does i.e. how to you know what coming out of the wet signal (or are we just going by sound and hearing here???)???

Regards,

Dale.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Personally, in either the send bus method Greg refers to, or using the blend method I mentioned, I would likely set the compressors settings while monitoring the "full wet" result, then set the blend to taste by ear.
The two methods function the same, only one sets the blend via the send knob, the other via a wet/dry blend setting within the plug-in.
I would say its a personal preference/workflow kind of thing. A lot of people use it in more "aggressive" musical styles. Very common in modern "rock" drum mixing in my observation.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page