Does Windows 10 Update Sometimes FUBAR Your System

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Thomas

Does Windows 10 Update Sometimes FUBAR Your System

Post by Thomas »

Now with Microshaft forcing updates on people using Win10, it's come to my attention that some users are having parts of their PC fouled up by some of the updates, whether it's drivers or something else. I recently became aware of a technique to thwart these updates (from another forum). If you tell your OS that you are using a metered connection, Windows won't download the updates (at least the larger ones, 2 per year?) After turning on my PC today, I saw a strange notification for "2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462919)". They want me to download manually because Windows thinks I have a metered connection. So now, if anyone is interested in stopping these automatic updates, there is a way. Then you can decide when/if to install them after they have been vetted by the PC community. Of course, proceed at your own risk and don't bother with the registry hack method, because that is no longer necessary.

Tom
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Acoustica Greg

Re: Does Windows 10 Update Sometimes FUBAR Your System

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not updating Windows 10 can leave you vulnerable to ransomware and other attacks.

The main issue I've run into doing support in regard to Windows 10 updates is that some people had the privacy setting turned on for their microphones, which prevented them from recording until they changed the setting.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Not updating Windows 10 can leave you vulnerable to ransomware and other attacks.

The main issue I've run into doing support in regard to Windows 10 updates is that some people had the privacy setting turned on for their microphones, which prevented them from recording until they changed the setting.

Greg
Yeah, good point Greg. I posted this because I have seen others report problems with certain hardware like audio interfaces stop working correctly after a Win 10 update. I myself had a problem with a USB 3 expansion card not working after it updated the drivers for the device. I got it working again only to have it stop again and recently installed another card with "better Win 10 support." Many people pre-Win 10 have refused updates, but definitely worth knowing the pros and cons.
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

That's like saying "does splashing water on your face get it wet"

Windows 10 IS a FUBAR. I hate it so much I actually wrote a song about it. My next new laptop will have Win 7 on it and I'll never look back. As for vulernabilities, again, it's Windows; by definition you're vulnerable. That said, if you stay away from questionable sites and downloads, the odds of any malware on your PC are slim (yes even on Windows).

If it wasn't for compatibility issues, I'd have gone to UNIX/LINUX a long time ago.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Not sure why you're having so many issues with Windows 10. Are you using older hardware?

Greg
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Because it's utter crap. :) Got it with my brand-new (last year) laptop. It's not just all the problems with it and the "updates" themselves either. It's the ridiculous invasiveness of it, how updates are forced on you (I'll have to check that "metering" thing)...I could go on but then the vein in my forehead would start to bulge and I'd have to take more meds lol
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well, not fubar by ay means, but it fairly consistently resets some preferences that really annoy me.
And yeah, I have heard of many stories of drivers and license authorization issues. It appears to be a widespread issue among the audio community for certain.

Personally, I just wish M-Soft would show the common basic courtesy of notification, explanation and some basic options.

IE: "Heres a recommended update. This in brief,is what it is for and why it's recommended."
"Would you like to update now or later?"
"Or never?"
"If you choose never, here in brief, are the risks"

I hate the way they have migrated to the point where it just happens, like it or not. But then the whole OS has migrated toward a different type user than me.
Apparently there are methods for improving this, but it should not be anything more than a simple, basic setting IMO.
It is intentionally difficult to change, which is another annoying bit of design. But what to do? Buy a MAC? :roll:
And yes, I do have a W7 machine as well. Another bigger piece of crap by any measure. I have just accepted I have to work with it regardless.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

It is pretty simple to do this.
Metered Connection.PNG
Metered Connection.PNG (36.04 KiB) Viewed 3552 times
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yes it is, and I appreciate the tip Thomas, sorry if my rant seemed unappreciative. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Mark Bliss wrote:Yes it is, and I appreciate the tip Thomas, sorry if my rant seemed unappreciative. 8)
No worries, Mark. And if it's any consolation, I essentially agree with your POV. :)
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Did anybody think to try this:

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/DA/How+ ... Windows+10

Just curious. Was reminded of this thread while doing my own (MANUAL) Windows 7 Pro updates this morning (and found myself wondering just how different Windows 10 could be).

Regards,

Dale.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

dpaterson wrote:Did anybody think to try this:

https://wiki.nus.edu.sg/display/DA/How+ ... Windows+10

Just curious. Was reminded of this thread while doing my own (MANUAL) Windows 7 Pro updates this morning (and found myself wondering just how different Windows 10 could be).

Regards,

Dale.
At first I thought this might be a Windows 10 PRO feature, but I did find it on my Win 10 Home OS. Mine was set to manual triggered. AFAICT, this should work. Might get rid of the nags too.
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
comedians

Post by comedians »

As someone who started on Microsoft Dos 1.0 to 6.0 and worked with every version of Windows from 1 to 10, I offer my twopenn'orth.

When Windows 7 arrived I, along with millions of others thought it the best version ever and whilst I had to work on Win10 systems I resisted moving my own PC's from 7 to 10 but needing to learn yet another operating system for clients had moved to W10 I reluctantly updated one of my own.
It didn't take long to realise, although difficult at first to manage, W10 was good & so now all my personal an doffice computers are WIndows 10 with no regrets.
The Pro and Enterprise versions excel in stability, speed, memory management and particularly hardware management. In these version the Group & Local policy editors can control virtually every aspect you would ever need to change, delaying updates, most by selection, (Security, Feature, Patch Tuesday etc being relevant to this thread).

The Home version sucks as the user control is restricted - but that is for a good reason which is an attempt to make the average user have a very secure system why? to prevent the spreading of Bots, Malware etc.etc. If it succeeds then we are all winners.

Since I updated my Video/Audio editing PC two years ago I have had not a single hicup so now, IMO it is the best Windows yet - despite the intrusion which fortunately can be controlled - if you're not a Home user !

Sorry to prattle on !
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Hey comedians.

Long time no "see/hear".

Well for what it's worth:

Not only do I have Windows Update set to manual update but I also have the Windows Update service as well as the Background Intelligent Transfer service disabled (both are required for Windows Update to function) (and obviously you need to enable both when you're ready to check again for Windows updates). Not only can I can actually read what an update is about to do before allowing it to be downloaded and installed but it also ensures that I can manually check to see if an update was successful or not. I manually check for Windows updates once per month and never update anything hardware related (those must come from the manufacturer).

But nice to know that for SOME people: Windows 10 Pro works nice.

Regards,

Dale.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Windows 10 seems pretty solid to me, but if you don't manage your updates, they can certainly come at inconvenient times. That's why I set it so they don't happen during business hours.

Greg