Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by mixyguy2 »

Pushy pushy :wink:

Actually though, generally speaking, I think it would be well worthwhile to come out with an 8.2 or even 8.11 with at least a variety of modest tweaks vs going whole-hog on a ton of changes for v9 (those who bought v8 or better getting the free upgrade).

Love those armchair QBs eh??
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Ian, maybe you should make a template file set up the way you want?

But that seems like a good suggestion to me.

I do have to say that we are done updating Mixcraft 8. Any updates are a year or more away at this point, since we haven't even started contemplating the feature set of Mixcraft 9.

Suggestions made here and elsewhere will be considered when we do get going on it, of course.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Ian, maybe you should make a template file set up the way you want?

Greg
Hi,

yeah, I figured that out and did that thanks Greg, I'm glad you agree it would be helpful though
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

First suggestion.. Pin the suggestions post.

Second, have a dedicated template folder available in the new project setting window. to only show, users saved templates, and not the whole saved file system.
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
jumbodude

Post by jumbodude »

To be honest apart from the inclusion of Melodyne I have to say that i was disappointed by Mixcraft Pro studio 8 being that it was not really that fundamentally different from vrs 7. Therefore I see no further reason to pursue upgrades if this happens to be the case because it seems like upgrade for upgrade sake only. For this reason i am making suggestions about what I see would be improvements and not just decoration. I would like to see ability to save individual Midi Clips as midi files. So that individual midi clips in a project can be saved as individual midi files. This is something that Ableton Lite can do, so it's not impossible. This would make it easier to transfer midi between projects without having to convert to an audio file instead. The next thing is a big omission in the midi fx category that there is no Arpeggiator. This would appear to be essential midi tool that I would like to see included in future upgrades. :roll:

Jumbodude
jumbodude

Post by jumbodude »

Also there are a couple of other suggestions for useful tools in Midi work. Again basically following along Ableton's lines where you find a Scale Re-trigger allowing you to re-map your keyboard to play a selected scale ie it won't let you play a bad note. The other useful one is the chord builder which allows you to build chords from one note inputs - these tools I have found very useful. I am not really an advocate of Ableton I do prefer Mixcraft but Ableton Lite provides some very useful tools.

Finally i use a vst called Scaler which again is basically a chord trigger and scale trigger/re-mapper like you find in Ableton. As I am no keyboard player as such Scaler allows you to play chords with one finger and play a matching scale on a re-mapped keyboard. However when I come to record Scaler in Mixcraft it only records the inputted single midi notes and not the chords being triggered - yes you can use this to re-trigger Scaler again to play the chords again but it would be useful to have the full actual midi of the chords being played as well. Again Ableton Lite can do this but Mixcraft cannot. I am not sure why but there is a workaround in Ableton whereby Ableton can listen to the Midi even after it has triggered the vst Synth or before it has ( I am no vst expert about how it works). This would be useful in Mixcraft and enable re-mapping devices output to be stored in Midi Clips and recording between clips with different devices on. Mixcraft can do this in 8 to a limited extent but not in the way I have described above
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

jumbodude wrote: I would like to see ability to save individual Midi Clips as midi files. So that individual midi clips in a project can be saved as individual midi files. This is something that Ableton Lite can do, so it's not impossible. This would make it easier to transfer midi between projects without having to convert to an audio file instead.
Jumbodude
This is possible. I've never used Ableton and do not know how they do it but it is possible with Mixcraft 8. Say I have a midi track with a drum synth and I make a 2 bar beat that I like and want to save, just solo that track and on the file menu go down to "Save as Midi File ". I'm not sure about a midi track with multiple midi clips on it. But what I do is just insert a blank midi track and copy the clip to that track and then solo that track and save.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

jumbodude wrote:To be honest apart from the inclusion of Melodyne I have to say that i was disappointed by Mixcraft Pro studio 8 being that it was not really that fundamentally different from vrs 7.
Here are just some of the new features in Mixcraft 8.

Mixcraft 8's new Audio Control feature in particular is pretty nifty: Mixcraft University: Using Audio Control.

It allows you to use audio to control any parameter of an effect or virtual instrument.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

jumbodude wrote: a big omission in the midi fx category that there is no Arpeggiator. This would appear to be essential midi tool that I would like to see included in future upgrades.
While I agree it would be a nice-to-have built in, there are numerous plugins, including free ones, which have arpeggiators, so personally I would put that well down the list, as I would anything that can easily be done with a plugin.
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

The big ones for me would be better support for clocking. I like to work with Tape from time to time, and usually that means I'll stripe a channel with time code and then sync off that. This would also be pretty damn important for the film soundtrack people.

Also , and its a big ask , but it would be huge. Vienna Ensemble Pro / Logic Node type functionality. Basically the ability to set up one or more slave machines to run plugins and then plug into them over the net. Theres an open source project NetVST with a friendly enough license that could be studied or co-opted. But do it right , and you'll find a LOT of people who where left without options after apple dropped it when they did their huge rewrite of logic pro. This is vital stuff for people like me who work with huge orchestral soundsets, particularly east wests play engine stuff which is utterly brutal on CPUs

Get those two in and put some more detail into the score view stuff, and you might become an instant new favorite of the soundtrack composer crowd.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Also add a like button for posts in this forum would be a good thing, so that I could thumbs up shayneoneill 's post above this one
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

Hello guys,
I have been having a think here and there and have decided it is now time to add my own contribution to the mix :D .
These are features I have found useful at the studio I work at and are features which both Protools and Logic Pro X have however I would at some point like to see them incorporated here as MX is my favorite DAW by far.

The first one is a feature found in Logic, this feature allows you to take one project such as 'The Easy Ones' and create a sub-version should we say which allows you to keep the original but create a new one for an alternative mix or edit. I believe this can be done by renaming and opening the other not forgetting the backups which provide a similar solution however Logic's version is much simpler as it is a single keystroke.

The other is from ProTools, which I find quite useful especially on vocal tracks. The feature is enabled by highlighting a specific section then splitting it from the original file, right clicking then allows you to enable a fader to increase the volume of a specific clip without having to use automation points. At this current moment my mind has gone blank and I cannot remember what Avid exactly call it so hopefully I have explained it enough.

Hoping my input will be at least some what useful for future editions of MX as it is my main go to DAW these days.
Regards
J
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
vizionheiry

Naming for Omni Sampler Out Mix Tracks

Post by vizionheiry »

Naming for Omni Sampler Out Mix Tracks

When the pads on the Omni Sampler Out route to a mix track in the Mixer view, will you have the names of the pads travel with outs. So instead of Omni Out 1, 2, it would be Snare, Kick, etc.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Naming for Omni Sampler Out Mix Tracks

Post by Acoustica Greg »

vizionheiry wrote:Naming for Omni Sampler Out Mix Tracks

When the pads on the Omni Sampler Out route to a mix track in the Mixer view, will you have the names of the pads travel with outs. So instead of Omni Out 1, 2, it would be Snare, Kick, etc.
Did you know you can just click on Omni Out 1 or 2 or whatever and change the name to anything you want?
shayneoneill

Post by shayneoneill »

I've spoken in the other thread about more consistent midi routing, particularly from VSTs. This is a really important one. So I'll drop it in here too.

But I might also add, some sort of scripting capability. Lua is dead easy to embed (You just need to pay a bit of attention to the docs on serializing tables in and out), fast enough if you use the jit version that people can write full blown instruments in them (see protoplug) but more importantly it gives people an avenue to get functionality you guys havent or won't put in. It is, imho, Reapers killer feature.