Need help on how mix guitar / vocal track

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Lamb

Need help on how mix guitar / vocal track

Post by Lamb »

Hello everyone,

I record for Youtube Cover with a Yeti mic, recording same time voice and acoustic guitar.

Can you give some tips to mix it then, like what fx choose exactly for the track (acoustica compressor, reverb, etc...)

Thanks for helping !
TheHound

Re: Need help on how mix guitar / vocal track

Post by TheHound »

I'm not a pro audio engineer so take what I'm about to say with as many grains of sale as you wish.

When I first started using Mixcraft I would use the preset effects chain and edit each effect or shut them down.

I mix for levels in mono. Nothing is panned until I start mastering.

Now I duplicate vocal and guitar tracks and A/B them and sometimes I use both tracks. For me the song dictates a lot of how the proceed with the mix. The more I mix the more I learn that least is most. What may sound crappy on its own may sound good in the mix and vice versa.

One trick for vocal levels is to take off your headphones and move them four or five feet away and listen to the playback as you slowly decrease the master volume. When you can only hear the vocals you are pretty close to having them at the right level. Keep in mind, that this is only a rule of thumb.

Sometimes when I duplicate tracks I will EQ them differently. I usually start with EQ before I add reverb, chorus or delay.

Also, before I start EQing tracks I put in a compressor and I boost the high mids slightly in the master track and pull out some sub frequencies.

Take your time and experiment.

I hope this helps you.