Cthulhu

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Eddiescoob

Cthulhu

Post by Eddiescoob »

Does anyone know how to get Cthulhu working in Mixcraft 8 Pro.
I`ve opened a track, selected my VST, then added Cthulhu beneath it but all I get is a single note from my chosen VST......no Chords or Arp.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is beginning to do my head in.

Cheers
Dorpond

Re: Cthulhu

Post by Dorpond »

Cthulhu?

Not sure what that is. I mean, I know what the story / game / book is, but what in a musical sense?

Can you attach a link?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

It is a plug-in for setting up auto chords and arpeggiation of a midi input. Probably most commonly used for dance/club style music genre's.
https://xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

Small indie publisher, they offer a time limited demo. I don't have time to experiment with it, and I hate loading demos of plug ins I will never use for anything. Maybe someone else?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

Don't use external arppegiators often, but if I can remember right the arpeggiator is loaded first and then the VSTi.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Make sure that the virtual instrument you're trying to control is polyphonic. In other words, make sure it is capable of playing more than one note at a time. Some of the virtual instruments are not polyphonic, they are monophonic (like MinimogueVA, for example).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Eddiescoob

Post by Eddiescoob »

Cheers guys.......Chibear you were spot on, ARP 1st then add the VST

Thanks
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

I use mixcraft 8.1 and i notice that the chord i play in midi keyboard is play from vsti that sit after the cthulhu or other arp too. this is wrong. i guess mixcraft send the original notes from the midi keyboard to all vsti(because there are some VSTI that do not put thru the notes). but in this case the synth vsti should not receive the notes that press on midi keyboard. on reaper it work ok
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Mixcraft is designed to route the MIDI through the VSTi "effect" into the next VSTi in the list. How do you think it should work?

Greg
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

have you reaper for test ?. it is free to test. i think then you can hear problem. if you not want test reaper i can do a video and send to support that show the diffrence. Let me know. when for example press a chord c e g then with the init preset of cthulhu cthulhiu do not output c e g at same time. you can see it more clear, when you transpose in cthulhu+11. in synth instrument after cthulhu in mixcraft is still output the notes c e g at same time and the transposed notes are arped.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I agree. Greg, this is the thing about LoopMidi type utilities still being the only way to get the note output of Arps recorded in Mixcraft (which is far too complicated to get working to bother with, as far as I am concerned). What is required here is for Mixcraft to be able to detect arpeggiators in the signal path and output their note streams into the track instead of just to the virtual instruments. If people just wanted the notes recorded as they are held they wouldn't bother using arpeggiators in the first place.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ian Craig wrote:I agree. Greg, this is the thing about LoopMidi type utilities still being the only way to get the note output of Arps recorded in Mixcraft (which is far too complicated to get working to bother with, as far as I am concerned). What is required here is for Mixcraft to be able to detect arpeggiators in the signal path and output their note streams into the track instead of just to the virtual instruments. If people just wanted the notes recorded as they are held they wouldn't bother using arpeggiators in the first place.
Hi,

You're talking about the ability to record MIDI. That's where LoopMIDI or similar MIDI utilities come in.

In this case, the output of Cthulhu is sent directly to the next synth in the chain, so this is some other issue.

Greg
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

musicuser99 wrote:have you reaper for test ?. it is free to test. i think then you can hear problem. if you not want test reaper i can do a video and send to support that show the diffrence. Let me know. when for example press a chord c e g then with the init preset of cthulhu cthulhiu do not output c e g at same time. you can see it more clear, when you transpose in cthulhu+11. in synth instrument after cthulhu in mixcraft is still output the notes c e g at same time and the transposed notes are arped.
Hi,

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. If you don't transpose +11, does it work properly?

Maybe a video would be the best thing.

Greg
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

Perhaps I can clarify musicuser99's problem.

When using an arpeggiator with Mixcraft, the arpeggiator VST is placed before the instrument VST in the Instruments List. Mixcraft recognizes the arpeggiator VST for what it is and configures the MIDI routing so that the MIDI data routes serially first to the arpeggiator then the MIDI output of the arpeggiator to the instrument.

However, what the OP is experiencing, and what I have experienced, is that the MIDI data is very briefly routed in parallel to the arpeggiator VST AND the instrument VST when a new chord is received before quickly changing to the serial routing described above. Transposing the arpeggiator output by +11 semitones in the arpeggiator makes this 'stuttering' routing more evident.

Until musicuser99 posted, I was convinced I was the only one having this problem. This is why I must record the arpeggiator output. I have to always clean up the MIDI data to take out the brief chord bursts in the arpeggiator data.
musicuser99

Post by musicuser99 »

CazaroTaro wrote:Perhaps I can clarify musicuser99's problem.

When using an arpeggiator with Mixcraft, the arpeggiator VST is placed before the instrument VST in the Instruments List. Mixcraft recognizes the arpeggiator VST for what it is and configures the MIDI routing so that the MIDI data routes serially first to the arpeggiator then the MIDI output of the arpeggiator to the instrument.

However, what the OP is experiencing, and what I have experienced, is that the MIDI data is very briefly routed in parallel to the arpeggiator VST AND the instrument VST when a new chord is received before quickly changing to the serial routing described above. Transposing the arpeggiator output by +11 semitones in the arpeggiator makes this 'stuttering' routing more evident.

Until musicuser99 posted, I was convinced I was the only one having this problem. This is why I must record the arpeggiator output. I have to always clean up the MIDI data to take out the brief chord bursts in the arpeggiator data.
yes this is the problem. every vsti instrument in the list get the keys that are press on the midi keyboard. this is maybe done because some vsti instruments do not pass thru midi data. so that it work correct, on all instruments that follow the arp, need a option. "Dont receive original midi data.". this is easy solution for this problem. that reaper work always good, without this option i did not know how they program that.

I hope it is clear now, or should i do a video ?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are we talking about two different things here?

1. Notes in a chord not being received simultaneously.
2. Notes from both the arp and the second synth being routed through?

Or is it the same issue?

Greg