Midi Suddenly Cuts Out

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Midi Suddenly Cuts Out

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you're using a USB hub, try bypassing that and plugging straight into your computer, and also just try a different USB port.

Looks like the Williams Allegro 2 is a class compliant USB device, which means that there aren't any additional drivers to install. You could try disconnecting the device, uninstalling the current MIDI driver, and then re-connecting and allowing the drivers to install again.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Do you have another program to test it? Maybe a standalone instrument? Just to see if the problem is only within MC or whether it's hardware. I'd also suggest going to the keyboard software and seeing if there's anything there...... Just throwing things out there.

M
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

Mess around as much as you like - I appreciate the comments and suggestions! Mixcraft doesn't show a signal when the sound goes. I'll reboot and it should be back and active.

Thank you!

Mark Bliss wrote:Hey Ehlert, just so you know, we might wander and have a little fun- but we will come back around to being helpful if possible! 8)

I don't mess with MIDI device inputs much, and my modest junk hasn't given me trouble. Not much to add to the previous suggestions, but I think a useful step would be to know whether the computer/DAW indicates any input or not when the problem occurs. This way you can know more about where to look when troubleshooting.
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

Bypassing the hub and going in directly for today's session. I'll report my findings ;-)
Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

If you're using a USB hub, try bypassing that and plugging straight into your computer, and also just try a different USB port.

Looks like the Williams Allegro 2 is a class compliant USB device, which means that there aren't any additional drivers to install. You could try disconnecting the device, uninstalling the current MIDI driver, and then re-connecting and allowing the drivers to install again.

Greg
mick

Post by mick »

Did you try "midi reset" ? Ctrl + Shift + M or find it in the mix tab.
This is a common problem with midi dropping out and it is not unique to Mixcraft. Cubase and Samplitude do the exact same thing. With Mixcraft midi reset works every time for me when using any keyboard, usually a Nektar LX 61 but its done it with a Technics as well. The Williams keyboard appears to be a plug and play device so not sure if drivers are needed but you could try ASIO4ALL. Also, do you rely on power from the usb or use a mains transformer? A mains transformer supply should be more reliable than a low power usb.
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

The instrument itself has a set of on board speakers that aren't effected, they play on and on.
Rolling Estonian wrote:Do you have another program to test it? Maybe a standalone instrument? Just to see if the problem is only within MC or whether it's hardware. I'd also suggest going to the keyboard software and seeing if there's anything there...... Just throwing things out there.

M
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

I tested the MIDI Reset! and it didn't have any effect. That is, I loaded my project, played 14 bars or so, my MIDI keyboard I was playing cut out. Then I went to Mix => MIDI Reset! but it remained silent.

The Williams driver is apparently correctly installed.

I have a separate power source from the USB (which is connected directly to my PC and not via a hub).

mick wrote:Did you try "midi reset" ? Ctrl + Shift + M or find it in the mix tab.
This is a common problem with midi dropping out and it is not unique to Mixcraft. Cubase and Samplitude do the exact same thing. With Mixcraft midi reset works every time for me when using any keyboard, usually a Nektar LX 61 but its done it with a Technics as well. The Williams keyboard appears to be a plug and play device so not sure if drivers are needed but you could try ASIO4ALL. Also, do you rely on power from the usb or use a mains transformer? A mains transformer supply should be more reliable than a low power usb.
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

I want to quick thank you all for your feedback! We're all no doubt familiar with the frustrations of hard & software malfunctions.

To note: My typical Mixcraft project has both audio and virtual tracks. The more tracks that are featured in a project, the quicker the MIDI cuts out. Is this a lack processing power on my PC? If so, all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

E
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

I'm going down the recording rabbit hole! If i need increased processing power, I'm now thinking of purchasing a computer dedicated to Mixcraft and media production. I haven't been in the market for a computer in 10 years; any suggestions?
Rolling Estonian

Check gaming computers, they're more powerful and audio/video production definitely needs that. My next computer is going to be an i7, 32gb ram (16 is usually plenty), a main ssd and a 7200rpm second drive. You can get by with less but I think erring on the side of caution with growth in mind is the way to go.

M
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Ehlert,

FYI

Take a look at Studiocat website. The guy’s name is Jim Roseberry. If I remember correctly he is a musician that also builds computers for music and video production. He’s very knowledgeable about the subject. I bought my I5 machine from him about 9 years ago. If nothing else you can look at specs on his machines.
No matter where you go, there you are.

begals

Post by begals »

I know I'm not the mixcraft expert around here, but I do know computers pretty well.

Since you aren't getting the "MIDI device # changed" notice you get normally when plugging/unplugging any MIDI USB device, it doesn't sound like the computer is losing it. If the computer lost the connection, then MC would be aware and tell you. If it takes a reset to fix, then it almost certainly is software or PC issues.

Try having your task manager open and watch for your resource usage. Watch for big spikes in anything like RAM or CPU prior to a cut-out.

What are your specs? R.E. was right to say check out gaming computers, for the most part, the needs coincide, minus the graphics card, but there's plenty of reasons to want a good gfx card anyway (and you do save significantly buying a pre-made computer versus just buying all components, and you won't find one tailor made for high power audio work so quickly, so gaming PCs are a quick and easy bet.)

My PC can struggle at times, and I have 16 gb RAM,running with an i7 7700 @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 1080 made by MSI who also does the sound, so i'm not sure if the GTX includes the sound card or it's separate.. it's not a purpose-chosen one, though one day I may get one that has XLR inputs. No longer a top gaming desktop, but 2 years ago it was, and still definitely strong enough for mixcraft and 20 USB devices (seriously).

Your VSTs definitely matter. I like Serum a lot, but that is a monster for computer power. Some are far simpler. If you have the task manager up you can see how much one or another has an effect, but also you can just consider how much is going on with a VST.. the simpler it is, the less it will take to run. Track number definitely matters as well.. doing 4x4 is a lot easier on your PC than doing 16x16 or something like that. My setup starts to creak, so to speak, if I get up to 16 MIDI tracks and a lot of them are Serum, but so far I haven't broken it.

If you have less than 8 GB RAM, that's almost definitely it, as well as if you have a very outdated processor, that could simply not be keeping up. An outdated graphics card could possibly also do it, though it's less likely. RAM is by far the biggest thing.

Like I said, the fact that it doesnt alert you that it's lost a MIDI device means there's some error, the computer still recognizes it. If it does cut out again, also go to file > preferences and check out the MIDI tab.. if you still see it there, then even MC is seeing it, and it's definitely an odd glitch.

I'm in favor of having a dedicated production PC for anyone doing a lot of work.. it puts strains on the PC that you don't always want on your main one you use for banking, etc., and it's good to have a second backup option to access that stuff and also to do your production work should the main PC have issues. For that reason, definitely always record to an external.

Good luck.. if you have low RAM, I would expect you see that running high the whole time, eventually spiking, and then probably falling lower once the keyboard disconnects. There's probably little you can do if it is an older weaker computer.. but which VSTs does matter, along with the amount of samples / size, that sorta thing. If you have less than 8 I'd get a purpose-bought PC regardless, but even at 8 GB RAM, I'd want at least 16. Hope that helps some.
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

I ran a test this morning. On the Williams Allegro II keyboard connected directly to my pc (no hub) via the USB2 port, I played along with a project that contains 6 audio tracks and 3 Virtual tracks. I played Pianissimo instrument. The project run time is 7:36. I was able to play through 6 minutes before the midi cut out. During the test I ran the Task Manager which screenshot is attached. I took the screenshot approx 30 seconds after midi quit. After the midi quit I clicked File => Preferences => MIDI and the Allegro 2 showed active.
Overall with this project I'm only using a single fx on three of the audio tracks. I haven't downloaded any VSTs not included in the Mixcraft 8 download.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.
begals wrote:I know I'm not the mixcraft expert around here, but I do know computers pretty well.

Since you aren't getting the "MIDI device # changed" notice you get normally when plugging/unplugging any MIDI USB device, it doesn't sound like the computer is losing it. If the computer lost the connection, then MC would be aware and tell you. If it takes a reset to fix, then it almost certainly is software or PC issues.

Try having your task manager open and watch for your resource usage. Watch for big spikes in anything like RAM or CPU prior to a cut-out.

What are your specs? R.E. was right to say check out gaming computers, for the most part, the needs coincide, minus the graphics card, but there's plenty of reasons to want a good gfx card anyway (and you do save significantly buying a pre-made computer versus just buying all components, and you won't find one tailor made for high power audio work so quickly, so gaming PCs are a quick and easy bet.)

My PC can struggle at times, and I have 16 gb RAM,running with an i7 7700 @ 4.2 GHz, GTX 1080 made by MSI who also does the sound, so i'm not sure if the GTX includes the sound card or it's separate.. it's not a purpose-chosen one, though one day I may get one that has XLR inputs. No longer a top gaming desktop, but 2 years ago it was, and still definitely strong enough for mixcraft and 20 USB devices (seriously).

Your VSTs definitely matter. I like Serum a lot, but that is a monster for computer power. Some are far simpler. If you have the task manager up you can see how much one or another has an effect, but also you can just consider how much is going on with a VST.. the simpler it is, the less it will take to run. Track number definitely matters as well.. doing 4x4 is a lot easier on your PC than doing 16x16 or something like that. My setup starts to creak, so to speak, if I get up to 16 MIDI tracks and a lot of them are Serum, but so far I haven't broken it.

If you have less than 8 GB RAM, that's almost definitely it, as well as if you have a very outdated processor, that could simply not be keeping up. An outdated graphics card could possibly also do it, though it's less likely. RAM is by far the biggest thing.

Like I said, the fact that it doesnt alert you that it's lost a MIDI device means there's some error, the computer still recognizes it. If it does cut out again, also go to file > preferences and check out the MIDI tab.. if you still see it there, then even MC is seeing it, and it's definitely an odd glitch.

I'm in favor of having a dedicated production PC for anyone doing a lot of work.. it puts strains on the PC that you don't always want on your main one you use for banking, etc., and it's good to have a second backup option to access that stuff and also to do your production work should the main PC have issues. For that reason, definitely always record to an external.

Good luck.. if you have low RAM, I would expect you see that running high the whole time, eventually spiking, and then probably falling lower once the keyboard disconnects. There's probably little you can do if it is an older weaker computer.. but which VSTs does matter, along with the amount of samples / size, that sorta thing. If you have less than 8 I'd get a purpose-bought PC regardless, but even at 8 GB RAM, I'd want at least 16. Hope that helps some.
Attachments
Task.jpg
Task.jpg (837.26 KiB) Viewed 5558 times
Rolling Estonian

Ehlert wrote:The instrument itself has a set of on board speakers that aren't effected, they play on and on
Could there be some conflict there? Does it come with software that you can look at? Maybe the speaker output with the computer audio settings?

M
Ehlert

Post by Ehlert »

Don't know if there's a conflict. The Allegro 2 doesn't have any driver to download nor is there any software associated with it. The speakers only have a volume nob, no on/off. When I'm playing through the Mixcraft 8 I have the volume turned down.

Rolling Estonian wrote:
Ehlert wrote:The instrument itself has a set of on board speakers that aren't effected, they play on and on
Could there be some conflict there? Does it come with software that you can look at? Maybe the speaker output with the computer audio settings?

M