ZOOM R8 AS AN INTERFACE TO MIXCRAFT

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

geobee

ZOOM R8 AS AN INTERFACE TO MIXCRAFT

Post by geobee »

Hi all, cannot get this Zoom to work with Mixcraft.Downloaded the most recent drivers for it. It shows up under preferences, as available. I can select the Zoom R8 Asio driver, but nothing then displays in the default playback and record devices. It just remains greyed out. I can then go back to my UR242 Steinberg and all is well with that one. If I disconnect it Mixcraft tells me there is a change in devices as per normal, but if I try to record or open a project it says cannot work with the current settings. Any ideas would be great.
eric71

Re: ZOOM R8 AS AN INTERFACE TO MIXCRAFT

Post by eric71 »

I use a Zoom R16, and I think the driver is the same. It works fine in Mixcraft. One thing I would look at is if Windows is grabbing the R8 as the default soundcard when you switch it into audio interface mode. I think that might give the result you see - being able to select the Zoom ASIO driver, but no inputs or outputs being available to select. That only happens to me when another app is trying to use my R16.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Go to Zoom's web page to download and install the R8 Audio Driver: https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multi-t ... #downloads

If that doesn't help, you can try going into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and selecting the option called "Use Device's Preferred Settings," then restarting Mixcraft. If that doesn't help, turn it off. (This option should only be used if your ASIO drivers aren't working).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks guys, but I checked the drivers and I have the latest drivers already. Disabled my computer soundcard, and the UR242, still Mixcraft tells me it cannot play sounds via the Zoom device. It also tells the same when trying to record. Tried using the devices default settings, no joy. Even tried Mixcraft 7 which I still have on the same computer, maybe I should delete that?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

How did you check the drivers?

Be sure to turn off "Use Device's Preferred Sample Rate" if it didn't help.

Greg
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks Greg, the driver version I have is the current one from the Zoom site, as per the link you posted earlier. I will try your new idea though.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi all, nothing tried with this has worked. I tried the Zoom in card reader mode and it works fine. I even tried a different cable to the original supplied, same result. I am starting to think that this Zoom R8 will not work as an interface with any DAW. I even installed Reason, which came free with something I purchased years ago, and it couldn't see the R8, only the Zoom asio driver the same that Mixcraft sees. The driver is the latest, 2.0.0. When I try and update the driver doing the web search, it tells me that I already have the latest drivers.
Is anyone using the Zoom R8 with Mixcraft? If so, I guess it must work, if not, I am starting to believe it never will. The Zoom asio driver is shown in Mixcraft preferences, but that's all, no play or record device will show for the Zoom, but all good for my Steinberg UR242. Mixcraft just keeps telling me it cannot use my current device. Just about to give up on this.
outteh

Post by outteh »

In windows sound preferences make sure the zoom r8 is the selected device for recording and playback. Make sure you followe the instructions in the zoom manual for setting the zoom as an audio interface. Then see if Mixcraft recognizes it. Might need to rebbot afte your windows setup just in case. :D
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

I had a Zoom R16 a couple of years ago and never had any major problems with it. One thing I remember I had to do is record at 44.1 sample rate. Every once in a while the Zoom would boot up at 48K and it would not work right. . So make sure the Zoom and Mixcraft are at the same settings for Sample Rate, and try 44.1 if you are at a higher setting. Good luck.
geobee

Post by geobee »

Hi all, I have really hit the wall with this. Unless I can get confirmation from someone that they are using the Zoom R8 as an interface, and preferably to Mixcraft, I would have to say it will never work. When preferences is selected, the Zoom and UR242 units are listed under Asio drivers, that's all good, but if I click on the Zoom Asio, it does not appear then in the boxes above as a play and record device, whereas the UR242 does, straight away. If I disregard the blanked out record and play boxes, and try and play an older file, or arm to record, Mixcraft, as expected, tells me it cannot work with my current settings. I have confirmed that both units appear under the Windows 7 sound devices, and the drivers check out fine. I am using the most up to date Zoom driver for Win 7 32, which is V2.2.0. Maybe a problem with the driver, I do not know from this point. Win tells me all devices are ''working properly''.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Try it in ASIO mode again, then quit Mixcraft and send us your Mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thanks Greg, will do that.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I have the R24 and I gave up on that idea not long after trying it in 2012. I just got it out of the cupboard and tried it again. I cannot get it to work as an audio interface. It is an SD card reader but the audio interface bit does not seem to function (as I concluded years ago)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
geobee

Post by geobee »

Thank you kindly Ian, you have confirmed what I suspected all along, that the thing will not function as it is claimed to. Until someone comes along and say that they have one working as an interface, I wont waste any more time on it. Cheers, Geoff
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey y'all,

Excuse me for being a little late to the party.

I have used the ZOOM R16 for years and it has never failed me. I am using ZOOM driver 2.0.0 along with Windows 7 Home Premium. I do not have an onboard soundcard. Below is my "start up procedure" every time I use my music computer. I don't know if this will help but I'm posting it just in case something small has been overlooked.

1. Turn on my pc and let it boot completely. After the desktop appears, plug in the R16.
2. Then I turn on the R16 power switch so it uses wall power, not usb.
3. On the R16, press usb, then press enter on the R16 3 times.
4. On the R16 screen "audio interface" is now blinking.
5. Start up Mixcraft. When it starts up the R16 "audio interface" is NO LONGER BLINKING - it's solid.

At this point, if I open an existing project, the R16 will work as a control surface and audio interface.

When I look at Mixcraft Preferences I note:

Sound Device Driver is ASIO

Default Recording Device (input) says "Input Channel/Input Channel"
Playback Device (output) says "Output Channel/Output Channel"

ASIO Device says "ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO Driver
Sample Rate it 44,100

Under MIDI it says ZOOM R16_R24

Under Control Surfaces it says "Mackie Control" Input = ZOOM R16 Output = ZOOM R16

Hopefully, this will help. If not, I suggest contacting Samson Technical Support. That's who I called originally when I needed similar help.
No matter where you go, there you are.