New Video

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ian Craig

Re: New Video

Post by Ian Craig »

TheHound wrote: Because I'm and old fart, most of what I've listened to was on vinyl and then CDs. It was great music of the 60's - 90's with most of it being recorded on tape. It is interesting to me that the Beatle's Sergeant Peppers was recorded on 4 tracks.

I think you will find this interesting. This is Sergeant Peppers deconstructed to its original 4 tracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5- ... -wXZ5-Yxuc
Hi Hound,
you removed my name from the start of the quote so I didn't get notified.
Yeah, I like stuff that was recorded on tape primarily too. Progressive Rock. Krautrock. Classical Organ suites and stuff. That Beatles thing was interesting. I downloaded from Youtube the 6 available Stems from Led Zeppelin's track 'Ramble On' and pieced them back together. There were a couple of guitar phrases that seemed to be missing so I re-recorded them. It taught me all I needed to know about how the sludge sound of the 60s became the magical sound of the 70s i.e. mostly because Eddie Kramer (engineer) and Jimmy Page clearly added about 20db to the mids and upper ranges to create the sound of Led Zeppelin II (and everything sounded decent from then on). I discovered this because the stem files sounded like the sludge of Led Zeppelin I until I added the 20db in the mids and upper ranges, to get it sounding like it did on the album.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
TheHound

Post by TheHound »

Ian Craig wrote:
TheHound wrote: Because I'm and old fart, most of what I've listened to was on vinyl and then CDs. It was great music of the 60's - 90's with most of it being recorded on tape. It is interesting to me that the Beatle's Sergeant Peppers was recorded on 4 tracks.

I think you will find this interesting. This is Sergeant Peppers deconstructed to its original 4 tracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-wXZ5- ... -wXZ5-Yxuc
Hi Hound,
you removed my name from the start of the quote so I didn't get notified.
Yeah, I like stuff that was recorded on tape primarily too. Progressive Rock. Krautrock. Classical Organ suites and stuff. That Beatles thing was interesting. I downloaded from Youtube the 6 available Stems from Led Zeppelin's track 'Ramble On' and pieced them back together. There were a couple of guitar phrases that seemed to be missing so I re-recorded them. It taught me all I needed to know about how the sludge sound of the 60s became the magical sound of the 70s i.e. mostly because Eddie Kramer (engineer) and Jimmy Page clearly added about 20db to the mids and upper ranges to create the sound of Led Zeppelin II (and everything sounded decent from then on). I discovered this because the stem files sounded like the sludge of Led Zeppelin I until I added the 20db in the mids and upper ranges, to get it sounding like it did on the album.
Ian if you have a link to that let me know. I looked for it on youtube and I found some cool Zep stuff.

When I first heard Zep it was Zep II and I had never heard anything like it. I immediately went out and bought Zep's first album which is still my favorite Zep album.

Do you think they boosted the mids and high mids on the entire mix?
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

TheHound wrote:Ian if you have a link to that let me know. I looked for it on youtube and I found some cool Zep stuff.
Do you think they boosted the mids and high mids on the entire mix?

I'll look back through my mixcraft files and see if I can find the original stems and what I did with them precisely.
In the meantime the stems can be found by typing 'Led Zeppelin Ramble On Isolated' https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... n+isolated
Windows 10 Professional
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

TheHound wrote:Do you think they boosted the mids and high mids on the entire mix?
You can check for yourself.
Firstly though I suggest if you do not have the MeldaProductions Free Plugins installed that you download their installer and just select the free plugins (there is a button for it on the right hand side). Download version 12.09 on the left near the top. I re-done this file using the free MEqualizer plugin as it has a range over 20dB. https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/plugins
I included an mp3 of the original track, so you just solo or un-solo the top track to hear the difference. It isn't synced with the others (it seemed to work fine for me before - it must be because of the use of an mp3 in this early basic version I put together- you could always try inserting a wav version of the original track in place of track 1 and lining it up.
Anyway, I think that it clearly demonstrates the difference between the downloaded isolated tracks and the sound of the album track. You can see the EQ curves I used today to mimic the effect I found previously. You can adjust the dry/wet mix on the upper left of the plugin's interface.
The muted sub-mix at the bottom is just me playing the couple of missing phrase notes which must've been on tracks 7 and 8. Anyway, have fun :)
Link Expired due to file removal
Windows 10 Professional