Hexachords Orb Composer?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dave.in.seabrook

Hexachords Orb Composer?

Post by dave.in.seabrook »

Hi all, has anyone used Hexachords Orb Composer with Mixcraft? A search of the forum comes up empty for "orb composer". It's a tool for generating musical progressions and the intent is to map its instrumentation to VSTs one has installed with one's DAW. I know little about MIDI mapping in MC, generally speaking, so I'm not up on what options might have to make it work properly. Using the demo, all of its output goes to just the "all" channel so even though I've chosen a bunch of different instruments in Composer, they all play whatever the current MIDI instrument is within MC.

Info about the program here: https://www.orb-composer.com/

Thanks for any input!
rrichard63

Re: Hexachords Orb Composer?

Post by rrichard63 »

Having looked only briefly at the Orb website, I suspect that what you are describing is a limitation of the demo version of Orb Composer. Mixcraft should work fine with the paid version of this product. You can assign each instrument track in Mixcraft to a different MIDI device and channel, which is what the Orb website describes as "splitting port/channel inputs".

Hope this helps,
Bob Richard
n1CKed

Re: Hexachords Orb Composer?

Post by n1CKed »

Yes - really had to think about it as it's been years since I got into the hassle of routing Midi Channels!

It's actually pretty straight forwards - you have 1-16 channels of Midi in both your DAW and in Orb Composer. Anything playing on Channel 1 will trigger whatever instrument is assigned to channel 1 (in this case, a VSTi on a timeline in Mixcraft). As a default Orb has, I think Piano on 1, Guitar on 13, Synth on 4 and drums on 10 (common channel for drum parts).

I use NI instruments - so had to go into each one and assign the midi channel in the prefs for each one. Should work fine after that. If you are using Mixcrafts own plugins I think you can assign channels via the timeline.
Mixcraft 8.1 Pro (64-Bit Build 418), Lenovo Y510p, Windows 10 (3GHz quad core, 16GB, 64-bit), UX2 Toneport, Komplete Kontrol S25, a ton of sound recording equipment and enormous library of samples and foley clips.