New computer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

polarwin

New computer

Post by polarwin »

New here..been using 7 pro, EZDrummer2, with an HP laptop for last couple of years...just got a new desktop.. Dell i5, 16G... wondering if theres anything to watch out for when loading programs...turned on new machine and immediately encountered windows 10 issue with getting on internet...also want to upgrade to pro 8... looks like you can for $39....should I worry about what order to do/load things..should/can i buy the upgrade 1st before I load it or just do it after...also any thoughts on a touch screen...thanks...appreciate any info
Acoustica Greg

Re: New computer

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft should work just fine with Windows 10*. You can have both Mixcraft 7 and 8 installed at the same time if you want; they go into separate folders. It doesn't matter which order you install them. You could download Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio and try it out, then buy the upgrade, and install Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio right over Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio.

Greg

*Every once in a while, somebody's microphone will have privacy settings turned on with Windows 10, preventing it from working, but you can fix that by going into Windows privacy settings and changing a setting.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
polarwin

Post by polarwin »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi, Thanks Greg !

Mixcraft should work just fine with Windows 10*. You can have both Mixcraft 7 and 8 installed at the same time if you want; they go into separate folders. It doesn't matter which order you install them. You could download Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio and try it out, then buy the upgrade, and install Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio right over Mixcraft 8 Recording Studio.

Greg

*Every once in a while, somebody's microphone will have privacy settings turned on with Windows 10, preventing it from working, but you can fix that by going into Windows privacy settings and changing a setting.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Mixcraft should work just fine with Windows 10*. <snip>
Yes, I'm using Windows 10, and Mixcraft works perfect. :D
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
techjim

Re: New computer (build)

Post by techjim »

Hi
I am not familiar with Mixcraft, but am constructing a new PC for a friend who will be using Mixcraft Studio 8.
I was thinking:
i5 processor, (go to i7?)
8 GB RAM (would 16 have a significant effect?)
1TB HD
Would integrated sound (Intel) work, or is an internal or external sound card better (recommendations?)

Thanks
JIm
jlouvar

Re: New computer (build)

Post by jlouvar »

techjim wrote:Hi
I am not familiar with Mixcraft, but am constructing a new PC for a friend who will be using Mixcraft Studio 8.
I was thinking:
i5 processor, (go to i7?)
8 GB RAM (would 16 have a significant effect?)
1TB HD
Would integrated sound (Intel) work, or is an internal or external sound card better (recommendations?)

Thanks
JIm
Hi Jim

Acoustica Mixcraft 8 System Requirements
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8, or 10 (32 or 64 bit)
2 GB RAM
1.8 GHz Dual Core CPU (Quad Core or higher recommended)
Sound card, USB, or Firewire sound device.

But of course more ram and faster would be better. :wink:

Oh and a good external audio interface is recommend.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The bottom line.... Varies.

"System requirements" is a minimum.standard parameter that sets a base line core program operation and has little to do with actual performance.
IE: using a system that meets minimum requirements means the program will run and little else. This is true of most any software in my experience.

The answer to the question is- depends.
One user may find a dual core 4 gig machine meets their needs. Perhaps pretty limited, but needs vary.
I would suggest anyone but the lightest user should consider a 4 core processor and 8 gigs RAM a minimum standard. More is always better.
Generally, a "power user" will benefit from a premium processor and 16 or more gigs of RAM.
As to drives, again, needs vary.
Generally avoid conventional slower laptop drives. Problematic performance.
Beyond that, again-
Some users will find a quality hdd is fine. Others may be running sample libraries and need more.
Size depends on need. I archive to larger drives for storage.
I moved to operating off of an ssd and have to offer the opinion that I would never go back.
Of course you can archive to any old thing, performance being irrelevant.
Hope that helps! 8)

And yeah, the computer sound card isn't really a big deal, as any serious DAW/audio system really needs a dedicated interface and audio driver. Typically, computer sound cards arent going to be satisfactory for recording especially.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

i7, at least 8gb ram, ssd is best as main drive and then hdd for second drive. If you've never had an ssd you'll be blown away and will never go back.

M
shakin_fingers

Post by shakin_fingers »

i7 CPUs generally deliver higher performance, but there's some overlap: the top-end i5s will be more capable than the low-end i7s. My (desktop) PC has been happily handling all I can throw at it with an i5 CPU that was pretty high-end two years ago. There's a lot of comparative benchmarking info at https://www.cpubenchmark.net/desktop.html

Number of CPU "cores" is also potentially important: I'd want at least 4, ideally with more than 1 logical core per physical one (can increase throughput for more computationally intensive tasks). Xeon chips are probably overkill for most musical production purposes...

Definitely agree that 8GB RAM is a minimum (probably need 64-bit MC to take full advantage) and SSDs are wonderful!

--Mike
Mike
techjim

Post by techjim »

Good info everybody
Thanks!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Fast hard drives (7200 RPM) and multiple cores are also helpful.

Greg
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Fast hard drives (7200 RPM) and multiple cores are also helpful.

Greg
Evening,

So MC is a multithreading application? Does that mean that number of cores is preferred over clock speed?

- N
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Hmm, good question. It couldn't hurt to have both. :lol:

Mixcraft divvies up the processing of different tracks onto different processors if possible.

Greg
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
I had a computer built two years ago. I looked what was in computers used for music being sold by music stores, then looked into what it would cost to have one made locally. If you look at the bottom of this post, you will see the specs. For me it was cheaper to have it made locally. They loaded the Windows 10 64bit OS, setup the sdd and hdd drives. I had to load the Mixcraft software ( download ), and other music software / virtual instruments.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1