Easy question 4 u experts re reverb

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jmpld

Easy question 4 u experts re reverb

Post by jmpld »

How do I get a mono sound to reverberate in stereo? I was just trying this with Acoustica Reverb (even had "stereo width" up) and Classic Reverb and I'm not getting a stereo reverb effect. I know I've gotten mono sounds to have stereo effects before (I think I did it with the chorus and with the delay effects), but I'm missing some bit(s) of knowledge here. Thanks!
j
TheHound

Re: Easy question 4 u experts re reverb

Post by TheHound »

jmpld wrote:How do I get a mono sound to reverberate in stereo? I was just trying this with Acoustica Reverb (even had "stereo width" up) and Classic Reverb and I'm not getting a stereo reverb effect. I know I've gotten mono sounds to have stereo effects before (I think I did it with the chorus and with the delay effects), but I'm missing some bit(s) of knowledge here. Thanks!
j
I'm not sure what you are asking but I will offer some ideas.

I think if you duplicate a track put reverb on it, pan it and slide the tack forward or backward a few milliseconds you will have stereo reverb.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... o-widening
Ian Craig

Re: Easy question 4 u experts re reverb

Post by Ian Craig »

jmpld wrote:How do I get a mono sound to reverberate in stereo? I was just trying this with Acoustica Reverb (even had "stereo width" up) and Classic Reverb and I'm not getting a stereo reverb effect. I know I've gotten mono sounds to have stereo effects before (I think I did it with the chorus and with the delay effects), but I'm missing some bit(s) of knowledge here. Thanks!
j
Firstly download MSED here and install it
https://www.voxengo.com/product/msed/
This gives you the ability to isolate mid (mono) signals from stereo ones. When listening to the Acoutica and Classic Reverbs I noticed the effect was definitely a stereo effect To prove it I just inserted an instance of it onto a few Acoustica Grand Piano notes on a track (stereo) and reduced it to mono using the 'Side Mute' button. I then inserted another instance immediately after the first and increased it's 'side gain' level but it had no effect (this can be seen on the plugin's active graph). However when I inserted Acoustica Reverb in between the two MSEDs the graph on the second suddenly ceased being entirely centralised (as it would be for a mono signal). I did the same for Acoustica Pro Reverb and Classic Reverb and they all create stereo reverb from mono signals. So you must be looking for increased stereo width and the best way of doing that without spending any money is either with the microdelays that Chorusing produces or with Ping Pong Delays, on Classic Delay set it to a low delay level (20%-37%, try 33%) with a feedback level of between 60%- 94% (ideally about 72%) . Try those.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6