Modernize the user interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sixstorm1

Re: Modernize the user interface

Post by sixstorm1 »

I'm not suggesting for users to use their own icons and colors, and I'm not asking to change the color theme. I am suggesting for an overhaul of the visual interface which looks outdated compared to the current trend in software development. iOS was just an example but every professionally-made mass-market operating systems and products have been going into that direction for many years now; Android, Windows, macOS are to name a few. Whether some people like it or not, the software industry is not going back to the graphically heavy, 3D-looking user interface of iOS 5, Windows 7 and other products from 10 years ago.

By "overhaul", I mean:
- Remove gradients and use flat colors instead.
- Use flat, scalable icons.
- Eliminate round-corners and double-borders from buttons, panels and tabs.

All in the goal of improving readability, reduce the clutter and make the interface look less heavy. Take a look at Traktor 3 Pro, which has the same color theme as Mixcraft but with modern interface, you will understand what I mean.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This so called modern graphics is actually a turning back of the clock. Hmm, could this have anything to do with lightening the processing load to make the future of cloud computing more feasible. 8)
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I think the oddball with the graphics is the mixer. Doesn’t really match the program IMO. Kinda cheapens the overall look. I think if the mixer was redone to match, the whole program would look better.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
starise

Post by starise »

Any of those here who are graphics savvy can find the graphics storage for Mixcraft and create custom looks for the program there using a graphics design program.

This is only for someone who knows how to do it. I've seen it done in multiple DAWs and not usually by the DAW company. Anyone with this knowledge could make and share new skins. There are a few gifted graphics designers out there who would be capable.

The GUI doesn't really bother me in any serious way, though I think it would be cool to pimp Mixcraft like that.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
sixstorm1

Post by sixstorm1 »

The fact that graphics are stored, modifiable raster files is a exactly the big problem here, that makes a non-scalable user interface. It bothers me a lot because on my 4K/Retina monitors Mixcraft is all blurry because the UI can't scale. And the only way Mixcraft developers will be able to fix that is to transition to a modern UI system, and modern UI systems use CSS or CSS-like styling, not individual image files. I understand that this is technical knowledge that may be difficult to understand for people that are not in software development.
Last edited by sixstorm1 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixstorm1

Post by sixstorm1 »

Here is how Mixcraft should look like:

It looks clean, lightweight, and scales properly on high-DPI (4K/Retina) monitors.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Can you fool MC into reading vector graphic files instead?
comedians

Post by comedians »

Traktor pro is a DJ mixing editor/console designed for a minimal number of tracks. I hate to think what it would do to my eyes with 10 tracks loaded, let alone 20.

Afraid if Mixcraft looked like that I would revert back to my first digtal audio editor, and I don't think much has change in the GUI on it since 1999, 140 million downloads - Audacity !
sixstorm1

Post by sixstorm1 »

I'm not talking about the layout, I'm talking about the styling of individual controls. I don't want Mixcraft to replicate that layout, but to modernize the styling. I perfectly know that these 2 products aren't for the same use.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Sorry I don't agree with pretty much anything said here regarding a UI change. MC is not "outdated" IMO - and if it is, God bless that. The suggested changes here would make it more flat, plain, and as someone else said, would look MORE outdated, not less. I really don't care if that's the cool trendy thing happening in UI design, and that's a very mixed bag anyway. (And don't even get me started on the crapfest that is Windows 10. MS is the very LAST I.T. company anyone should be trying to emulate.)

I'm all for a little UI tweaking but I would hate if MC went to this. I see nothing "modern" about this idea and think the UI is fine. It would be nice to have another option or three on the look and feel, but well down the list of anything I'd ask for.
sixstorm1

Post by sixstorm1 »

Who talked about Windows 10? And well that's your opinion, but companies like Apple and Google have put up a design trend that proved successful and liked by billions of people, and it's certainly not because it's shitty and outdated. A trend is a trend for a reason. Modern UI is not just there because it's cool, it's far more readable, easier to use, easier to maintain, more scalable, and I could go on.
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Believe that if it makes you happy.
sixstorm1

Post by sixstorm1 »

There is nothing to believe or not believe, user interface engineering is a science, and quality of a user interface is measurable with metrics. The trend going on in the past years aims to improve the results for those metrics, which I partially named above.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

It would be nice to have another option or three on the look and feel, but well down the list of anything I'd ask for.

+1, I too like Mixcraft 8 better. :D
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

sixstorm1 wrote:Here is how Mixcraft should look like: It looks clean, lightweight, and scales properly on high-DPI (4K/Retina) monitors.
Ew, no way, that's ugly. :(
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar