Not all audio Daws sound the same ...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jlouvar

Re: Not all audio Daws sound the same ...

Post by jlouvar »

TonyRapa wrote:In terms of sound, I can't really hear any issues, but then maybe my ears are not tuned right. Who knows?
Your ears are okay Tony... If you do the test posted above, you’ll see there isn’t any difference.
The bottom line: let's keep the discussion respectful even if we disagree. Believe me, I'm no limp-wristed progressive but heatedly arguing over DAWs is not constructive. :D
+1, I totally agree. :)
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
mick

Post by mick »

Fellas, if you download a file that's probably been compressed by the net then most of the life will have been squeezed out of the music. I think its fair to say if you use Mixcraft you won't have any complaint whatsoever, its when you do a daw A/B test of the original file on the same equipment with no processing. Even the same file into different speakers will differ whatever the daw so enjoy Mixcraft. I only piped in originally to agree on sound differences between Mixcraft and Samplitude out of the box. My issues are of a midi shortcoming nature of which I suspect there will be no resolve. Midi files no problem because the work will have been done on a different program. Mixcraft handles midi files 100%. Composing in Mixcraft is a different matter. 8)
chibear

Post by chibear »

Just so you all don't think mick is the only one to be jumping ship, I have also begun focusing on another DAW for many of the same reasons as mick. That decision was pretty much made for me by Acoustica when no improvements were made in the MIDI editor in version 8. It was not an easy decision as, in most of the good ole' boys, you pay for features with a complex, antiquated, and much slower workflow.

As to the OP, while I have not experienced a huge quality difference in final mixdowns when using the same plugins, there does seem to be a lot more headroom inside the more expensive DAWs when building a tune so I don't have to worry so much about clipping in my master track.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
mick

Post by mick »

:wink:
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Afternoon,

I’m probably going to switch too...
to MX9 when it comes out! :P

-N
TonyRapa

Post by TonyRapa »

bigaquarium wrote:Afternoon,

I’m probably going to switch too...
to MX9 when it comes out! :P

-N
Absolutely.... I can't wait for it to come out.... :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

I’m also looking forward to Mixcraft 9 Pro (MC9P), but I’ll most likely wait until after the bug fixes like I did with MC8P. :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
seeds

Post by seeds »

I've tried lots of DAWs I love Mixcraft! Yeah it crashes on me almost everyday but it still is the most fun :D
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

For those staying in Mixcraft, Dead Duck's free channel strip and other plugins are good replacements:

https://deadducksoftware.blogspot.com/p ... undle.html
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

What is wrong with G-Sonique plugins, though?
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Been wanting to ask this question for a while now but didn't want to upset anyone!!! LOL!!!

However: seeing as there seems to be some "Mixcraft bashing" going on here I thought I may just jump in while the going is good!!! LOL!!!

The above being said: let ME just say that I'm a 1 000 000% Mixcraft happy customer and have no intention of switching DAWs for any reason whatsoever (and that thread about updating the GUI is really pis*ing me off too i.e. one of the reasons that Mixcraft is indeed as responsive as it is is BECAUSE the GUI is basic and doesn't need sh*tpiles or useless large graphics to display buttons and cr*p). And anybody that thinks I'm talking nonsense needs to just think back to how responsive Windows USED to be as compared to now.

Alright. Personal bit*h session over so here's my question(s) below.

I'm just really curious to know what this is all about:

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

It's a link to Cakewalk which is now APPARENTLY free.

Has anybody downloaded and installed this thing and, if so, does it interfere with anything (Mixcraft most importantly)???

I have two reasons for asking the first being curiosity (Cakewalk was the "first" was it not???) and the second being that it could be useful for testing purposes (in much the same way as I use Ableton Live Lite i.e. purely for testing purposes of MIDI controllers maybe, sound file comparison, that type of thing).

Regards,

Dale.
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

@dpaterson

Yes, it's basically Sonar Platinum without some plugins and samples: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

But since you have Mixcraft, you can use some of the plugins (like Melodyne) and loops that come with Mixcraft in Cakewalk. So it's going to be more like Sonar Platinum for you.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Thanks for that.

As long as it doesn't interfere with my current setup (with Mixcraft) i.e. everything worker just stellar for me at the moment to be honest.

Just curious I guess (and, as I say, could be handy for testing one or two things and possibly providing suggestions for Mixcraft i.e. my multiple identical MIDI devices being a prime example).

Also just very wary of things "all things free" too actually.

Oh well. Will see if I download and install or not.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dale.
TonyRapa

Post by TonyRapa »

daveiv wrote:@dpaterson

Yes, it's basically Sonar Platinum without some plugins and samples: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

But since you have Mixcraft, you can use some of the plugins (like Melodyne) and loops that come with Mixcraft in Cakewalk. So it's going to be more like Sonar Platinum for you.
As already mentioned, it's basically the last version of Sonar Cakewalk rebranded and with a few tweaks (which mainly sort out bugs). It's actually not a bad DAW, especially given that it's free. The Pro Channel Strip is excellent. But I had problems with it playing fairly with my keyboard controller, plus I also had trouble with routing. The end result being that my workflow was so disrupted that I couldn't get creative at all. It was a shame as otherwise I really liked it.
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

Hi Dale & Tony,
I did try out BandLab earlier in the year, all worked out well however I must of clicked on something during installation which overwrote all my VST folders and made Mixcraft go crazy :lol: . Like I always do with new software make sure to take a backup before installing just in case those Harddrive gremlins make a visit!
I've got to add to the conversation that I chose Mixcraft thanks to it's impeccable customer support and the free updates! Using newer versions of Pro-Tools recently has shown how much I take this for granted.

Regards,
-J
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V