Not all audio Daws sound the same ...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dpaterson

Re: Not all audio Daws sound the same ...

Post by dpaterson »

Thanks for the info.

For sure not worth the risk for me based on what happened with you. May install on a secondary workstation for the fun of it but things too good with my main workstation with Mixcraft to warrant an experiment purely because I’m curious about it.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dale.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

daveiv wrote:What is wrong with G-Sonique plugins, though?
Evening,

As the actual effects go nothing, but their schtick is to introduce hiss into the signal path on purpose to imitate analog equipment, and only FAT lets you turn this ‘feature’ off AFAIK. Chain a couple G-Soniques together and you have a noisy mess. If they provided an on off switch I’d have no complaints about them!

-N
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

bigaquarium wrote:
daveiv wrote:What is wrong with G-Sonique plugins, though?
As the actual effects go nothing, but their schtick is to introduce hiss into the signal path on purpose to imitate analog equipment, and only FAT lets you turn this ‘feature’ off AFAIK. Chain a couple G-Soniques together and you have a noisy mess. If they provided an on off switch I’d have no complaints about them!
Or if there is compression/make up gain used after the plug in.....

IMO the hiss is completely unaccepatable, and given the lack of an option to turn it off in most of their titles makes them unusable. Which is unfortunate, as several are otherwise promising.

I've communicated with them in the past, hoping they would consider an update with the seemingly simple option of adding the ability to toggle it off. They seem to be of the foolish opinion the hiss is their strong point......

Disabled and ignored, long ago. Hate the hiss. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TonyRapa

Post by TonyRapa »

bigaquarium wrote:Afternoon,

I’m probably going to switch too...
to MX9 when it comes out! :P

-N
This might be a silly question but does anyone have any idea when MC9 is likely to be released? I'm sure Acoistica are being very careful not to reveal anything (and for good reason - they still want people to buy MC8, like me :D ). But perhaps there are rumours circulating?
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Some Mixcraft users are always in a hurry to spend their money on a software upgrade.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

TonyRapa wrote:This might be a silly question but does anyone have any idea when MC9 is likely to be released? I'm sure Acoistica are being very careful not to reveal anything (and for good reason - they still want people to buy MC8, like me :D ). But perhaps there are rumours circulating?
Greg told me it’s at least a year or more away.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
TonyRapa

Post by TonyRapa »

Wow... there's a lot of effort going into the next version then. Can't wait to spend more money.... :lol:
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

TonyRapa wrote:Wow... there's a lot of effort going into the next version then. Can't wait to spend more money.... :lol:
Which version of MC are you using now?
- Joe -

TonyRapa

Post by TonyRapa »

I'm using MC8 (latest build)
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Awesome, me too.
- Joe -

bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

They were waiting for you two to upgrade to 8, V9 comes out tomorrow! :P

-N
daveiv

Post by daveiv »

bigaquarium wrote:They were waiting for you two to upgrade to 8, V9 comes out tomorrow! :P

-N
This one killed me :D
Guaresneider

Post by Guaresneider »

mixyguy2 wrote:
Drafter wrote:Now to be fair, Samplitude Pro X3 does have 4 band parametric EQ per channel where Mixcraft only has 3 bands at predetermined frequency centers. So you have more control in critically shaping your tone in Samplitude.
Gee I wonder if that could make a diff :roll:
Mixcraft is an awesome beginner DAW
What utter nonsense (i.e. the "beginner" crack). It's a great DAW, period.
Maybe calling it "Pro Studio" is a bit ambitious, considering that's it's lacking even in basic things found in most other DAW's.
Like.....
But again, I don't suspect Acoustica is really trying to tap the market space where Samplitude or Pro Tools lives.
You mean insanely overpriced and/or incredibly unfriendly software? Thank God for small favors.

This is much ado about nothing. Try taking the exact same recording and using the exact same settings using the exact same plugins and compare. I did. No difference. Believe what you want but IMO none of this holds up at all. Mixcraft is not only full-featured and far easier to use than Samplitude (and every other DAW I tried) but it's "audio engine" is for all intents and purposes the same. Nothing to see here. Carrying on.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Let's keep this thread going! Let me say that I don't believe that "it's just math, all DAWS sum the same. Apply same panning, levels, and it cancels when you invert the phase. Null this. Null that". This guy ain't buying it. I don't pretend to understand the intricacies but I've tried quite a few different DAWS and gotten different results using the same plugins. Not talking like they are completely different sounding plugs processed but more along the lines that the character of the final output somewhat differs. Whether it lies in the quality of the coding, method (fixed vs. floating), or how well the DAW handles phase using lots of plugins, I do hear differences. This is my findings and which DAWS I came out with the most pleasing results according to my own personal taste. Note, I don't use any stock plugins.

1) Samplitude pro X4 (seemed to have a clarity and width that I had difficulty getting with others DAWS)
2) MULAB (surprised by the clarity of this, still slightly prefer Sampy)
3) Reaper (seems much like what goes in comes out but the mix seemed to sound "thinner?" than what I got with Samplitude and MULAB.
4) Pro Tools (ditto, same comments as for Reaper. Will say that the latest versions sounds 10 times better than say back in 2003, even more reason why I don't buy that they all "sound the same")
5) Cubase (didn't sound bad, but the mix seemed to have more of a compressed texture and a bit more smeared sound than Samplitude
6) Mixcraft v8 (this is hard for me to describe but the mixes I was getting out of this sounded more plasticy)
7) Tracktion (much more muddy compared to others DAWS). In earlier versions (when it was supported), it was even acknowledged that there were some phase issues at higher sample rates.

Now that I have said that. Can somebody who has tried Presonus Studio One or SAWStudio talk about any differences in the sound quality and charcter you are hearing versus Samplitude?

Not sure I want to install the demo on this computer cramped for space. But have heard claims that Presonus Studio One sound is on par with Samplitude or maybe even better?

Would be curious to know. Also, same thing for SAWStudio. Had seen claims that SAW sounded better than Samplitude's earlier versions (back around version 7) but I'm using 11 and be curious how Sampy's new and improved audio engine fares. Anyways, welcoming any comments and criticisms. :roll: :shock: :oops: :lol: :D 8)
mick

Post by mick »

I've just spent nearly an hour comparing the playback of Samplitude versus Mixcraft and cannot tell any difference using a high quality sample from a c.d. disc. The plugins between the 2 daws are the real difference affecting playback as expected, some Mixcraft plugins are ready for retirement i reckon, but using the same ones nothing matters. What I did find is that Samplitude records cleaner, there's more space (or headroom if you like) I used the mini grand piano and the Sonivox 88 to lay some deep tones where most of the harmonics are and imported to Mixcraft. I then recorded much the same stuff in Mixcraft using both piano vst's and there it was. It looks like what goes in comes out. In most cases it won't make much difference if any because then there are the speaker/headphones room acoustics etc. The audio has a lot of hoops to jump through! I think its becoming too scientific to be healthy tbh. I don't want this to sound like a conclusion because it isn't, its an unbiased opinion based on me having both programs. 8)
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Guaresneider wrote:Let's keep this thread going!
It may also depend on how much beer is consumed, lol. :lol: :wink:
- Joe -