String Instruments Hi Freq Artifact

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sjoens

Re: String Instruments Hi Freq Artifact

Post by sjoens »

Thanks Mark, I'll check it out.

No other D4's or any note from any other instrument affect me like this. Is why I suspect the sample set in Q.

Even if the sample set itself is not bad, something about it is affecting my ears.

OAN, I hear exactly what you mean about dentist's sonic tooth cleaner. He's not helping matters any. :?
Last edited by sjoens on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

Could you upload the Project file as well???
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Mark Bliss wrote:Here is a few various string section samples of D4 whole notes, tell me if any have the artifact you hear in your project?
D4 render Mp3.mp3
Out of the 6, I can hear it on 2, 3, 4, & 6.

It's very noticeable to my ears with headphones and speakers, mostly with the right ear as the left one is starting to go deaf at those freqs.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

dpaterson wrote:Could you upload the Project file as well???
Never mind.

I didn't see that it was Mark that had uploaded the .mp3 file. Point is: I don't hear any artifacts in the .mp3 file and that's why I asked for the Project file.

You say that you're hearing these artifacts through both speakers and headphones right??? I assume via the exact same hardware (audio interface) even with the .mp3 file??? If this is the case: have you got anything else to playback the .mp3 file that Mark uploaded e.g. an iPad or phone or maybe even a hi-fi set or CD/DVD player (even through a TV). Obviously what I'm saying is that maybe there's something wrong with your audio interface or some settings or something like that. I'd find it hard to believe that only certain frequencies would play havoc with one person's hearing.
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

sjoens wrote:Hearing it... like a single sine wave at high pitch. I can uoload a sample if you'd like, but depending on your hearing you may not notice it as I do. Tinitis has taken over my left ear with the right one following.
You may want to make an opointment with a doctor for a hearing test, and see if the doctor can help you, or make some recommendations... seriously.

EDIT: Common causes of Tintis (ringing in ears) can have causes that aren't due to underlying disease. Examples include exposure to loud sounds, whiplash, head injuries, too much ear wax, or medication side effects.
The point being, if you have or think you have tintis, and if you haven’t already, you really should consult with your doctor about it before it gets worse... and it may be something as simple as ear wax, etc.

With that said, I feel very sorry for you, and hope it’s only temporary and can be easily fixed/treated.
Last edited by jlouvar on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
dpaterson

Post by dpaterson »

sjoens wrote:I can uoload a sample if you'd like...
Come to think about it that's a good idea i.e. try do exactly what Mark did and let's see if we all can hear it (this before running off to the doc. I'd say).

Look on the bright side: maybe you're gifted like me i.e. we all know I can hear the difference between 384kHz/64-bit and 44.1kHz/16-bit right???
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The D4 notes need to have sustain on them as well, don't they?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I thought about the Tinnitus link as well. But even so, the spike on your Spectrum Analyzer should be repeatable. Did you say what you were using to see that spike?
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Acoustica Greg wrote:The D4 notes need to have sustain on them as well, don't they?
I tried all the mentioned instrument samples with and without sustain applied, and both compared them to other sample libraries in my collection, and compared all with a spectrum analyzer.
Did not hear or see anything that seemed to be a clue.

The response to my mp3 samples is interesting though. I'll reveal what they are later tonight just for curiosity's sake. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Thanks for everyone's help. My interface and hardware are fine as I 1st heard it on a smartphone using different headphones. The stray harmonic overtone is around 3191 Hz, whereas D4 is around 294 Hz.

Here's a D4 sample from my project after hiking the EQ all the way up to make the sound more noticeable.
Let me know if you still don't hear it. It can be heard all the way thru and into the end where it tapers off.
D4 hi pitch harmonic.mp3
(148.16 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I can confirm this was present in MixCraft 7. I even tested it with all effects off, and it was still present. If the OP is hearing this in MC8, it’s probably still present. I found it was related to the raw samples used (in MC7). I have other VST’s and haven’t really messed with MC’s strings presets with MC8 Pro. I’ll go back and have a listen to them with 8 Pro. Keep in mind it’s also possibly more noticeable to some and not others due to the frequency level.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Thanks squeakie, so I'm not going nuts after all??! :wink:

I'm sure the samples in MC7 are the same ones in MC8 as things like that aren't normally changed.

Still curious to see Mark's playlist revealed, tho.
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I just tested it with MC8 Pro. I can hear it. It’s not the effects, it’s the sample. It’s not just D4 either. It really more like a “white noise” IMO. Sounds to me like typical artifacts you get from sample stretching ect when creating a sound to map across the full 88 key range. It’s certainly more noticeable on headphones. When I first noticed it in MC7 I was using those strings for some orchestral work and noticed it because the artifacts were starting to clash with other string instruments as I was combining presets into user patches.

I’m just glad that in my mid 40’s I can still hear it :-)

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX500, Roland RS70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer88, Casio PX330, M-Audio Keystation 49 MK3, Yamaha DGX-670 digital piano, Behringer Studio Monitors, MixCraft 9 Pro, Studio One 5, Cakewalk, Zenbeats,
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I haven't forgotten, sorry. Have to reopen the project at home and verify. I might get it wrong going by memory. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
squeakie

Post by squeakie »

I didn’t even go by the audio sample the OP provided. I just remember the same issue with MC7. The effects bring out more of the high freq artifacts too. Remove the effects and it just sounds like white noise in the background.

Sqk