New multi-layered improvisation

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ian Craig

New multi-layered improvisation

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi,

been doing this, it's a bit messy, but I like it, but it needs sorting out a lot more I think :)
https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/ok ... -its-light
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
jlouvar

Re: New multi-layered improvisation

Post by jlouvar »

The vocals are buried?
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

jlouvar wrote:The vocals are buried?

They were improvised like the music so only contained a few clear phrases, the rest was a hideous out of tune mess, so I melodyned them into the closest near-by shapes. I think it works as a sort of sketch outline +++. The music was improvised over a load of 7/4 drum patterns in EZDrummer2 (5/4 patterns towards the end). So I have demonstrated to myself that it is possible to basically write using this instinctive recording method and restoration method. If I try to decipher some kind of usable story from the words I came out with, it sounds like some kind of vampire tale about getting back before dawn and missing people. That's enough for me to work with, which means I can write something along multiple lines of coherence, which should help melodic development that can be used even if I discard those specific word/story elements and totally re-write the words and only use specific parts of the musical developments underneath :D Thanks for listening j. :)
Windows 10 Professional
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, the Melodyne version plugin I'm using is the full studio version, so I have all the controls, note just basic pitch, but pitch modulation, pitch drift and any timing controls, amplitude controls for each blob, formant controls (which I didn't use) etc. and I seem to have become pretty adept at using them now, even though I barely used them for a good few months.
Windows 10 Professional
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Afternoon,

I really like your sense of harmony, nice to hear something with more than four repeating chords! :D

You don’t happen to have a background in pipe organ do you? The harmonic structure sounds a lot like French organ improvisation/Olivier Messiaen/etc...

-N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

I though of this improvisation by Jean Guillou (starts at about 0:50 or so), he occasionally talks over it but you get the point...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtPDs0R7WBo
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

bigaquarium wrote:Afternoon,

I really like your sense of harmony, nice to hear something with more than four repeating chords! :D

You don’t happen to have a background in pipe organ do you? The harmonic structure sounds a lot like French organ improvisation/Olivier Messiaen/etc...

-N
My background is just in trying to push things into new territory, from a deliberately non-formalised background of trusting my own ears (there are too many people with too many bits of paper in the world that people are 'supposed' to trust but they are all just basically playing a game of one-up-man-ship).
One of my favourite pieces of music is, since I first heard it in 1987, Durufle's Suite for Organ op.5. The man was a Paris organist and wrote music for 60 years but only produced less than 2 hours of it, due to constantly revising things until he was apparently satisfied. I like that. I'm a fussy bastard also, so mostly I just create things on the basis of unfinished experimentation, though I will let things be 'finished' if I'm 'paid' to release them. Then I will abide by that :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIHP2U-7Asg
Windows 10 Professional
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Well, that was different.... Well produced and performed with great stereo/panning effects!

This is not the kind of music I usually listen to, so I might not know what I´m talking about here, but...the music itself struck me as a bit, shall I say "scary"... like a hallucinatory dream from "A Clockwork Orange"... Was that your purpose? Did you feel that you achieved the result you wanted? (Whatever result it was that you wanted).

Anyway, well performed, played, produced and mixed!

Best regards/
M@rkus
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

M@rkus wrote:Well, that was different.... Well produced and performed with great stereo/panning effects!
This is not the kind of music I usually listen to, so I might not know what I´m talking about here, but...the music itself struck me as a bit, shall I say "scary"... like a hallucinatory dream from "A Clockwork Orange"... Was that your purpose? Did you feel that you achieved the result you wanted? (Whatever result it was that you wanted).

Thanks M@rkus :D
I was improvising. The entire sound apart from the vocals and the drums was done live on the keyboard. I was testing to see if the multitude of sounds were workable live. I just drawled some vocals over it in several layers and corrected them using the Melodyne plugin (Studio version). It was a single slightly simplified version of the sounds I got on the following track that I was using to improvise. https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/5x ... version-1j Another version exactly produced the sound Keith Emerson used for Fanfare for the Common Man (see this very short demo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGpUPjVz4Nc
Most of what I do is scary (check tracks 26-28 on this page) https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/album/my ... e-playlist
Windows 10 Professional
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Ian Craig wrote:
M@rkus wrote:Well, that was different.... Well produced and performed with great stereo/panning effects!

Thanks M@rkus :D
I was improvising. The entire sound apart from the vocals and the drums was done live on the keyboard. I was testing to see if the multitude of sounds were workable live. I just drawled some vocals over it in several layers and corrected them using the Melodyne plugin (Studio version). It was a single slightly simplified version of the sounds I got on the following track that I was using to improvise. https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/5x ... version-1j Another version exactly produced the sound Keith Emerson used for Fanfare for the Common Man (see this very short demo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGpUPjVz4Nc
Most of what I do is scary (check tracks 26-28 on this page) https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/album/my ... e-playlist

Hi, Ian!

I have listened to quite a few of your songs, and they´re very unique! I don´t know if there is a name for your style? The titles were as interesting as the music, "NDE", Near death experience? I liked many of them, "Spidee Basterd" was really cool! Strange but interesting music! And well produced and played!

Best regards/
M@rkus
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

M@rkus wrote:Hi, Ian!
I have listened to quite a few of your songs, and they´re very unique! I don´t know if there is a name for your style? The titles were as interesting as the music, "NDE", Near death experience? I liked many of them, "Spidee Basterd" was really cool! Strange but interesting music! And well produced and played!

Best regards/
M@rkus
Thanks M@rkus. Yes, NDE - Near Death Experience (comes from an out of body type experience I had when abusing cough mixture as a teenager in the early 1980s :lol: )
Windows 10 Professional