CPU issue killing my creativity..help?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

So long time no nothin,lol. Figured id ask as its truly messing with my creativity, i dont know exacly how long this issue been messing with me, as its been a while since i worked on music on a day to day basis (mainly due to this issue), but lets say atleast 6-7 months. The issue is suddenly on my mixcraft 7 pro i can no longer play/listen to more then 2 tracks at the same time if any of them has ANY effects loaded on them without mixcraft freezing and crashing. Which really sucks as it makes both recording, arranging and mixing guesswork which it shouldnt be :cry:

I figure its a CPU issue mainly because thats the only thing that makes sense to me, i could be wrong though as im certainly not an expert. BUT this seems to be a issue nomatter my settings.. So im thinking, maybe ive checked/unchecked something i shouldnt have or something along those lines..but again..No clue..

I currently use my focusrite scarlet as my audio-interface (which SHOULD still be golden as many people use them and they are still in production n what not), and my sound-settings are currently like this:

Driver: ASIO
Input: Input1/Input2
Output: Output1/Output2
ASIOdevice: Focusrite Solo
Samplingrate: 44100 Buffersize: 32
latency: 0.73 ms

force singel prossesor: checked
prioritize this sound engine: checked

Any help would be appreciated :)

RobertAllan
Thomas

Re: CPU issue killing my creativity..help?

Post by Thomas »

Could be a number of things. Some things to look consider:

.73ms latency seems low. Your CPU might be maxed out to achieve that. Try changing the sound device settings for a more reasonable latency.

What changed since things worked right?
Make sure Focusrite drivers are updated and use the Focusrite ASIO drivers in sound device settings, not Wave or Core audio.
There's a reset button somewhere in Mixcraft to reset audio settings to default. Not sure where as I've never used it.

Edit: Also uncheck force single possessor
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Thomas wrote:Could be a number of things. Some things to look consider:

.73ms latency seems low. Your CPU might be maxed out to achieve that. Try changing the sound device settings for a more reasonable latency.

Make sure Focusrite drivers are updated and use the Focusrite ASIO drivers in sound device settings, not Wave or Core audio.
There's a reset button somewhere in Mixcraft to reset audio settings to default. Not sure where as I've never used it.

Appreciate the quick reply ;) What is a reasonable latency? if i may ask..
and pretty sure drivers are up to date, but can always re-check, and of course i use ASIO and not core or wave :) So i guess its either my latency or outdated drivers..i know what i can try atleast :) And will uncheck the force single prossecor thingy. Thanks Thomas!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

RobertAllan wrote:
Thomas wrote:Could be a number of things. Some things to look consider:

Appreciate the quick reply ;) What is a reasonable latency? if i may ask..
and pretty sure drivers are up to date, but can always re-check, and of course i use ASIO and not core or wave :) So i guess its either my latency or outdated drivers..i know what i can try atleast :) And will uncheck the force single prossecor thingy. Thanks Thomas!
It depends on your needs but 10-20ms should be OK for most.
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Buffer setting is way too low, nothing but a super computer would work there I reckon.
Follow Thomas's advice. Un-check the "force single processor" box and crank up the buffers until it works.
The ideal setting would rely heavily on your specific system. Find where it works smoothly and adjust back down in increments until it doesnt. Go back up one step. Keeping in mind as well- low latency isn't really critical when not recording.
Anything around 10ms or so is usually considered acceptable for most people. A fairly powerful computer can get you into the ~6ms range or lower maybe. Again, depending on your system and specific variables.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Thanks guys! Ive made it work today, allthough im not sure how ideal it is in the long run (no too little about it)
Seems that with my focusrite ASIO i cant change the buffersize at all, its stuck at 32 nomatter what i do.. Also only have 4 options as far as samplingrate (lowest being 4400, highest being 9900 or something, didnt do much different when i tried them), messed around a bit on all other settings, and i managed to get it too work using the corewave audio, with my focusrite as in and out. Recorded a demo today with 9 tracks (4 of them with effects) and worked perfectly playing back and mixing and what not, so thats a good thing i guess ;)

RobertAllan
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Glad you got it working Robert. Strange though about the buffer. You can check in MC audio settings and the Focusrite driver UI. ASIO is supposed to give us lowest latency, but if nothing else, at least you've got it working.

PS. If you have more than a 2 channel interface, I believe ASIO is needed to use more than 2 channels simultaneously. IOW, Core and Wave only support 2 channels, IIRC. Of course, 2 channels is sufficient for many.
-Tom
Windows 10 64-Bit
2TB SSD
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

In review I see you use the Focusrite Solo, which I believe uses a pretty much "bare bones" ASIO driver that I suspect- indeed unfortunately has no native provision for buffer selection.
But I think there is still the option of adjustment via the ASIO "control panel" from within Mixcraft preferences.
Maybe someone with a similar I/O setup can confirm. Without it, the ASIO driver is pretty much useless!
It might also be helpful to know which Solo version it is. Gen1 or 2 (and I think there is another odd version too?)

Edit: Another thing to consider is that the ASIO driver is recording in 24 bit whereas other drivers may or may not, depending on the specific driver in question, and it's settings if applicable. 24 bit recording is very desirable. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Much appreciated guys! Right now im just happy im able to make music with a decent workflow :lol:
I have no clue whether my focusrite is a gen1 og gen2..i looked at my box and it doesnt say, i know i bought it in March 2014 though...Any ways..right now im back makin music and thats what matters (to me anyways..)

RobertAllan
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

If focusrite has black colored lettering it’s a 1st gen, and if the lettering color is white, it’s a 2nd gen.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
outteh

Post by outteh »

Don’t think you have the latest driver. You should be able to adjust buffer size unless the 1st Gen device specifically doesn’t allow it. :D
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Thanks for keeping up with thoughts and ideas. Ive been pretty sure ive updated my focusrite drivers, but not 100% sure, will check tomorrow or something. Right now im just glad i got it too work, so i can make music again. Will prolly revisit your advice/Ideas on a day i dont feel creative, so i can mess with it then kinda thing :D
Added a few pics of my focusrite solo so we can determine whether its a gen1 or gen2

Have a great weekend guys!

RobertAllan
Attachments
focusrite4mixcraftcom1
focusrite4mixcraftcom1
IMG_20190217_174344.jpg (297.41 KiB) Viewed 8735 times
focusrite4mixcraftcom2
focusrite4mixcraftcom2
IMG_20190217_174352.jpg (289.8 KiB) Viewed 8735 times
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

That’s a 1st Gen.
- Joe -

RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

jlouvar wrote:That’s a 1st Gen.
Good to know :D

RobertAllan
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

You’re welcome. I recently upgraded from a 1st gen 2i2 to a 2nd gen 2i4 and I love it, the added input/playback knob is very helpful, plus the headphone output volume on 2nd gen interfaces are much louder too.

EDIT: The lettering on 2nd gen interfaces are white (see pic).
Attachments
2nd gen Focusrite.jpeg
2nd gen Focusrite.jpeg (467.18 KiB) Viewed 8663 times
- Joe -