She Caught The Katy

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

outteh

She Caught The Katy

Post by outteh »

Great blues standard written by Taj Mahal and James Rachell. The song was first recorded for Taj Mahal's 1968 album The Natch'l Blues. The "Katy" refers to the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad. Fender Telecaster, JP-90 bass, MT Power Drums, Mixcraft brass and VB3 organ. My take. (Listen to the bass great riffs.....)

https://soundcloud.com/outteh/she-caught-the-katy
jlouvar

Re: She Caught The Katy

Post by jlouvar »

Way fun, good job. Thanks for sharing Tom. 8)
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Have you tried using either Melodyne or Mixcraft's audio warping on your vocals ? It might help balance out the vocals to the rest of the music layers, as it sounds a bit like karaoke. It you want to send both the vocals separated from the rest of the track and the rest of the track my way, I could sort it out for you, so you can see the difference. Just a thought. :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Well done! Great mix, and well performed!

A few questions... The harmonica? Is that you or a vsti? The bass? It sounds so crisp and snappy (compared to my bass, that is)... new strings? What kind of bass?
The acoustic guitar sounds really nice... new strings? (ha, ha). I guess I´m a bit taken aback by the crisp sound quality compared to my own recordings... the strings on my instruments are about five yeras old...

Anyway, great job!

Best regards/
M@rkus
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Sounds great in my truck! Great mix too.

Not that this song needs anything at all, but the Steven Slate freebie drums make a great foil to MT Power Drumkit if you ever get bored with it.

:D

-N
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Great job, nice harp!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Thanks everyone for the comments. Most I’ve gotten on one of my posts in a while. Yes, that’s me on the harp. I’m not a vocalist but enjoy rendering a tune every now and then when the key and the tone fit. The guitar work is basically DI and the acoustic is x/y microphoned. I usually have to accomplish many takes, measure by measure to get good results. I couldn’t do a lot of this live! Glad you found some enjoyment from the tune! :D :D :D :D :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

bigaquarium wrote:

Not that this song needs anything at all, but the Steven Slate freebie drums make a great foil to MT Power Drumkit if you ever get bored with it.

-N
I’d like to checkout the Steven Slate freebie drums... Please post the download link. Thanks
- Joe -

outteh

Post by outteh »

jlouvar wrote:
bigaquarium wrote:

-N
I’d like to checkout the Steven Slate freebie drums... Please post the download link. Thanks
You can google it and get to the website. The freebie vesion is there for download. It looks really complex, lot’s of tweaking options! :D
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

bigaquarium wrote:You can google it and get to the website. The freebie vesion is there for download. It looks really complex, lot’s of tweaking options! :D
Is Steven Slate freebie drums similar to MT-PowerDrumKit, (a plugin with multiple drum grooves)?
- Joe -

outteh

Post by outteh »

Yes it is, but the freebie Steven Slate drum set is very limited. It does have grooves just like the MT set. The sound of the drums is very good though! :D

https://stevenslatedrums.com/
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Hmm... Okay, thank you Tom.
- Joe -

TheHound

Post by TheHound »

I used to play that song with in a couple of bands. Love that song!
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

jlouvar wrote:
bigaquarium wrote:You can google it and get to the website. The freebie vesion is there for download. It looks really complex, lot’s of tweaking options! :D
Is Steven Slate freebie drums similar to MT-PowerDrumKit, (a plugin with multiple drum grooves)?
Morning,

I’ll whip out the Slate set when doing something a little more subdued because it’ll give you some softer articulations when you don’t want the snare cracking out for instance. I like MT too though, gave them a donation and everything. :)

-N
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

It took hours to find the SSD5LibFree01.Slatepack, SSD5LibFree02.Slatepack path on my hard drive, and after finding it and getting the plugin working (or at least opening up in Mixcraft), the SSD5 Library was empty, so there were no Grooves. I though maybe I didn’t install the SSD5 Library path correctly, so I uninstalled everything and tried to reinstall, but I couldn’t remember the SSD5LibFree01.Slatepack, SSD5LibFree02.Slatepack path on my hard drive. So I could’t install the plugin, and I gave up.
Attachments
Capture 101a.PNG
Capture 101a.PNG (943.99 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Capture 101b.PNG
Capture 101b.PNG (209.98 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Capture 101c.PNG
Capture 101c.PNG (810.15 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
- Joe -