Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bigaquarium

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by bigaquarium »

Evening,

A half time, regular time, double time set of radio buttons on MIDI clips would be great for things like recording complex passages, or sound designs with higher than 64th note grid granularity.

-N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Evening,

This would be extravagant perhaps, but a music visualizer that could output to the video track would be very much appreciated!

It’d let us make quick dirty music videos and be great advertising for MC too!

-N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Morning,

A "uncategorized" category for plugins would be great for those of us who have shamefully long lists and have to go searching for a small handful of new plugins!

- N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Morning,

A way to rename project files inside MC without creating another copy would be fantastic for those of us who have a huge project mess to clean up!

- N
Mark Bliss

RE: plug-in organization

Post by Mark Bliss »

Apparently there is a better way.
I have seen where there is at least one other DAW (I am sure there are others I just haven't been exposed to) that automatically categorize plug ins upon boot up.
And it shocked me how accurately and consistently it works, even on fairly obscure and hard to define plug ins. Well enough in fact that I have to suspect there is some kind of identifier in the code of the .dll that allows for this.
So there's my suggestion. Make it do that! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bigaquarium

Re: RE: plug-in organization

Post by bigaquarium »

Mark Bliss wrote: So there's my suggestion. Make it do that! 8)
Yeah! And make MC read the VST/VSTi presets properly! Very few of them work right in this way.

8)

-N
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Plug-in presets are actually an unexpectedly complicated thing I think.
First off I'd say there are some pretty sloppy developers of these things.... :roll:
But even so, you have factory presets, and the need to minimize the odds of unintended overwriting by the user. So they need a somewhat "protected" designation folder of their own.
Then you have user presets, and the need to easily edit, save, change, and they need a dedicated folder location and link.
And if the developer is really slick, a simple useful method of easily transporting user preset files for mobility between "studios"

Anyway, bottom line, it's not really just the DAW developer at fault for the oddities you experience. It's in part a lack of standardization and the resultant variations in implementation.
*edited to fix some funky mobile device auto-correct issues. :evil:
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Many great suggestions from Nathan (Big Aquarium) above :)
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
grumpysnake

Post by grumpysnake »

I've been having a think recently about features I'd like to see added. Here are mine, hopefully they haven't already been repeated or implemented yet - if so let me know!

- Easier routing for multiple headphone mixes, basically an easier way for sending multiple instruments to different headphones such as the drummer for example may need guitar, click and vocals, where as the keys player may only want guitar and vocals.

- The ability to edit the wave form directly like you can in protools. Not using automation to bring the level up I mean actually manipulating the audio waveform so it is bigger if it has been recorded to quiet.

- More keyboard shortcuts/allow user to define key shortcuts?

These are all the ones I can think of at this current time.
Regards
J
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
davidyang2020

Post by davidyang2020 »

Hi,

Please add input FX and a advance nob control to MC9... I like to record my vocal with a little compression before it hit the track and advance it a few milliseconds ahead for my retarded usb 2.0 interface to catch up with the beat.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

davidyang2020 wrote:I like to record my vocal with a little compression before it hit the track and advance it a few milliseconds ahead for my retarded usb 2.0 interface to catch up with the beat.
Hi,

Make sure you're in ASIO mode, and you have the latest audio driver from your interface's support/download page.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

grumpysnake wrote:
- The ability to edit the wave form directly like you can in protools. Not using automation to bring the level up I mean actually manipulating the audio waveform so it is bigger if it has been recorded to quiet.

J
Yes, I was thinking that too. It's sort of like websites that allow/cause you to click a link that takes you away from the site. Seems like an unwise thing to do as you presumably want people to linger in your given site.

So it is with MC allowing/causing one to leave the program in favor of some other program that can edit. While one may have a program they love to use, it might make more sense to leave that as a second option. The first option should be to be able to edit within MC.

Although, one could argue that is already currently possible. For example, one could normalize a track or Melodyne it and then save it as a new clip. Wouldn't this essentially be what your outside editor does?

So, basically I just shot down my own argument. Hey, it's what I do. 8)
TheHound

Acoustica Streaming Site With Special Privileges For Mixcraft Users

Post by TheHound »

With music software reaching it's Zenith in the next 10 year companies are going to have to expand their lines. When I was at the Nashville NAMM in 2016 the only DAW related stuff I saw were some interfaces and computers optimized for recording. There were no DAW makers there. I was there to promote a new type of banjo.

I had the pleasure of chatting with some members of some songwriters guilds and Nashville Songwriters Association. We lamented the decline of music sales and the plight of songwriters.

Is it possible for Acoustica to create an advertising driven streaming site? Acoustica seems to care about musicians and songwriters. Currently artists are getting paid a fraction of what they deserve. Many of the streaming sites are no well liked for business practices.

An ad driven service could produce more revenue than a subscription site and it would not have to be subject to price wars or promotion costs as the artists will be doing the promotions.
Anorax

Re: Acoustica Streaming Site With Special Privileges For Mixcraft Users

Post by Anorax »

TheHound wrote:Is it possible for Acoustica to create an advertising driven streaming site?
So... Spotify? Pandora? Apple Music? Sousorry, trying not to laugh Soundcloud?
Acoustica seems to care about musicians and songwriters. Currently artists are getting paid a fraction of what they deserve. Many of the streaming sites are no well liked for business practices.

An ad driven service could produce more revenue than a subscription site and it would not have to be subject to price wars or promotion costs as the artists will be doing the promotions.
Well... alright, the long and short of it is, streaming sites more or less have to bow to federal regulations when it comes to how much they can pay an artist per song. (That's not to say that they don't price gouge as much as they can - the obviously do, because capitalism, but the current payments are abysmal because by law they kind of have to be?)
Streaming is an absolute mess, and while it'd be absolutely stellar for Acoustica to open a streaming service, Acoustica would have a few hurdles to that: 1) server bandwidth for dealing with a lot of streaming data 2) receive enough revenue to cover server costs of said streaming data 3) receive enough revenue to also reimburse artists beyond the current minimum internet stream payment rates 4) receive licenses for all that music, because a successful streaming service will have to compete with Spotify, Apple Music, etc. who all have these massive music libraries that they've acquired through tons of legal contracts.

Not to shoot this down because it's a bad idea, because it's not, but it's very ambitious, as in "open a brand new company and start writing a prospectus in order to receive venture capital" ambitious.
daveiv wrote:You might want to get rid of the Kjaerhus plugins, or at least remove the sticker from their GUI in the near future.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Anyone-know-w ... 30-p2.aspx
well. Shit. I liked it better when I thought Kjaerhus had died and passed away, now I find myself wishing that that had actually been the case.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

I need a way (other than stacking instruments) of getting what I'm recording onto for example ten different tracks at the same time (I like improvising with giant sounds) in such a way as to only have to edit 1 copy of the notes i.e. have all the tracks use the same recorded notes in the same way as each track can accept the same send effects with the same settings. So it would be a 'Send Notes' menu option similar to the 'record all tracks automation' menu option
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6