Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bigaquarium

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by bigaquarium »

Ian Craig wrote:I need a way (other than stacking instruments) of getting what....
Yesssss!

-N
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ian Craig wrote:I need a way (other than stacking instruments) of getting what I'm recording onto for example ten different tracks at the same time (I like improvising with giant sounds) in such a way as to only have to edit 1 copy of the notes i.e. have all the tracks use the same recorded notes in the same way as each track can accept the same send effects with the same settings. So it would be a 'Send Notes' menu option similar to the 'record all tracks automation' menu option
Hi,

Have you played around with Route To Track? You can send the MIDI from multiple tracks to one track.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can also use Route To Track to send MIDI from one track to multiple other tracks: MX8 MIDI routing awesomeness.

That way, each track can have its own instrument, effect, panning, automation, etc.

Greg
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

You can also use Route To Track to send MIDI from one track to multiple other tracks: MX8 MIDI routing awesomeness.

That way, each track can have its own instrument, effect, panning, automation, etc.

Greg
Brilliant Greg, I was hoping you might know how to do it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Each thank you on it's own track obviously) :lol: :D :D :D
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ian Craig wrote:Brilliant Greg, I was hoping you might know how to do it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (Each thank you on it's own track obviously) :lol: :D :D :D
You're welcome! That was kind of a stealth feature we added to Mixcraft 8. It was added so you can use tracks instead of lanes when working with multi-timbrel instruments like Kontakt, but it also obviously has other uses.
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Mark Bliss wrote: Anyway, bottom line, it's not really just the DAW developer at fault for the oddities you experience. It's in part a lack of standardization and the resultant variations in implementation.
Afternoon!

I suppose so, but when the Steinberg Model E presets don’t port over to MC, I think we can rule some of that out, lol. :P

The point isn’t to assign blame, but it would make MC even more wonderful for the novice if it went the extra mile to accommodate the presets, because very very few of them work.

-N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Evening,

Being able to add automation values to individual notes in the same manner as say velocity and duration would be very handy, so you could assign filter envelope values that way for instance.

Maybe it’s time to absorb NightLife into Mixcraft like everything else and make the sequencer functions part of the DAW!

-N
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

bigaquarium wrote:Evening,

Being able to add automation values to individual notes in the same manner as say velocity and duration would be very handy, so you could assign filter envelope values that way for instance.

Maybe it’s time to absorb NightLife into Mixcraft like everything else and make the sequencer functions part of the DAW!

-N
You could slice out individual notes and add whatever you wanted, it would be time consuming but doable.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

bigaquarium wrote:Being able to add automation values to individual notes in the same manner as say velocity and duration would be very handy, so you could assign filter envelope values that way for instance.
Hi,

You know about CC, right?

Greg
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Hi,

Hi, yes! I was going to ask you if you can route VSTi parameters like filter/resonance to the CC section?

-N
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

bigaquarium wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote: Anyway, bottom line, it's not really just the DAW developer at fault for the oddities you experience. It's in part a lack of standardization and the resultant variations in implementation.
Afternoon!

I suppose so, but when the Steinberg Model E presets don’t port over to MC, I think we can rule some of that out, lol. :P

The point isn’t to assign blame, but it would make MC even more wonderful for the novice if it went the extra mile to accommodate the presets, because very very few of them work.
To be honest, I had to review what this was even about.... :lol:
Ok, I am not familiar with what a "Steinberg Model E" is, (except maybe that it could be a grand piano emulation. The "Model E" I am familiar with has no presets and needs several strong people to move. But it's a "SteinWAY" :lol: )
And I am not sure we are talking about the same thing anyway.
My comment was about how the DAW (host) usually provides a plug in "box" for the VST or VSTi GUI with an area for presets that often has no content, while the plug in GUI itself usually provides another built in preset area (of some sort or configuration, often baffling and unintuitive) that contains the plug-ins presets.
Every plug-in developer seems to have a different idea of how this should work and their own folder location to store their presets in. Without some form of standardization here, it would be pretty difficult for the host to do any better. And though my experience with other DAWs isn't very deep or extensive, I haven't seen where any do much better than any other in this regard. I could be wrong.
I suppose you could be implying Steinberg should be following the standard as well as it could be, since they developed it, but I have found their own plug ins to be just as randomly screwy (technical term) as any others. But I think maybe the "standard" simply didn't cover this aspect very well or something.
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

bigaquarium wrote:
Acoustica Greg wrote: Hi,

Hi, yes! I was going to ask you if you can route VSTi parameters like filter/resonance to the CC section?

-N

Nathan,
if you look at Greg's picture example above double click where it says (131) at the bottom and you can manually enter any of the 128 CC numbers and it will be applied (I didn't know about this for ages either, as it is effectively hidden for some unknown reason). Presumably, though I don't remember trying it in the last couple of years, it will send out those CCs to external equipment (I'm pretty sure it does anyway). The only problem is that as there is no spline system, it involves manually adjusting each bar if you want to be precise, so that's probably why I don't remember. It's probably just easier to use the automation system, though that lacks precision also
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Ian Craig wrote:The only problem is that as there is no spline system, it involves manually adjusting each bar if you want to be precise, so that's probably why I don't remember. It's probably just easier to use the automation system, though that lacks precision also
Morning!

I wonder if you can hold <Shift> to at least get more precision when you are adjusting the bars, will have to try it out!

- N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Mark Bliss wrote:To be honest, I had to review what this was even about.... :lol:.
Afternoon,

Yeah, I’m slow sometimes like that. :)

Anyway, yes, I’m talking about things like the drop down menus at the top of the VST window and the instrument panel, as well as the forward/back arrows in the plugins themselves. There are a whole host of synth VSTis that will lock up if you touch the arrows.

The Model E is an analog synth plugin by Steinberg, so if they don’t work to their own standard then shame on them! :D

-N
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

bigaquarium wrote:...when the Steinberg Model E presets don’t port over to MC, I think we can rule some of that out, lol. :P

-N
The model E is available for free now as "VST Classics", and I can corroborate bigaquarium's point because the model E on MC only shows 1 preset. And when I found 22 more fxb presets online, only 1 showed up when I loaded that bank.
-Tom
Mixcraft 10 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram
2TB SSD
Behringer UMC404HD v5.57.0 interface