Which DAW mixers are working with Mixcraft?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

benji13

Which DAW mixers are working with Mixcraft?

Post by benji13 »

I just recently bought Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. I decided that I want to buy a second hand external DAW mixer, but I couldn't really figure out which brands are either working with Mixcraft or not. Does anyone knows which external DAW mixer are working?

I had a look on a Icon Qcon Pro & Qcon Ex mixer, does anyone knows if they would work?

Thank you so much!
grumpysnake

Re: Which DAW mixers are working with Mixcraft?

Post by grumpysnake »

Hi Benji,
I have a Behringer X-Touch which works well with Mixcraft Pro Studio 8 if your after is the physical feel of an outboard desk, it also has pots which work well for panning as well as scribble strips and a scrub wheel. Besides that it has some other features but either these are not supported yet or the firmware which communicates with Mixcraft clashes with something which makes some of the features unusable and non-working or other buttons doing other things etc.

Regards
GrumpySnake
Windows 10 Pro x64, AMD FX8350
OSX 10.14.3, Intel i5
MX7, MX8, Waves Mercury Bundle, Melodyne Assistant
Logic Pro X, Pro Tools 12
Behringer X-Touch
Yamaha MOTIF-RACK
M-Audio MTrack Eight
M-AUDIO BX5 D2
Adam Audio T5V
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

benji13 wrote:I had a look on a Icon Qcon Pro & Qcon Ex mixer, does anyone knows if they would work?
Those would work. You'd select Mackie Control in Mixcraft's Control Surface preferences.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
MiltonRob

Post by MiltonRob »

I'm using a Presonus Faderport 8, works with MC well....
Brother Charles

Post by Brother Charles »

Stay tuned, please! Over the next couple of months, I’ll be reviewing these very units. First impressions are super positive and very promising. They work great with Mixcraft Pro Studio 8 — using standard Mackie protocol.
benji13 wrote:I just recently bought Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. I decided that I want to buy a second hand external DAW mixer, but I couldn't really figure out which brands are either working with Mixcraft or not. Does anyone knows which external DAW mixer are working?

I had a look on a Icon Qcon Pro & Qcon Ex mixer, does anyone knows if they would work?

Thank you so much!
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook
johndgibbs

Post by johndgibbs »

Here is my rough schematic of the PreSonus Faderport v2 (the 2018 version with one fader) showing which functions I have found to work with Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio with the Faderport set to Ableton Live settings and Mixcraft Control Surface set to Mackie Control with Input and Output set to PreSonus FP2. Bold labels indicate main button function; italics are shifted functions; strikethrough means my testing indicates it doesn't perform a function in Mixcraft. Some buttons function as in Live and some as in the Faderport's native Studio One mode as detailed in the Faderport Owner's Manual.
FaderportMixcraft.PNG
FaderportMixcraft.PNG (28.58 KiB) Viewed 3503 times
Here are a some additional notes:

Channel Strip
• Solo & Solo Clear toggle: current track.
○Solo clear (Shift-Solo): Clear all solo.
• Mute & Mute Clear toggle: current track.
○ Shift-Mute: Unmute all.
• Arm toggle: current track.
○ Arm All: Shift Arm. Arms all that can currently be recorded.

Session Navigator
• Pan: Encoder controls panning; push encoder to set pan to center (as in Studio One). Prev/Next navigation buttons scroll through track list.
• Flip (Shift-Pan): Fader controls panning instead of encoder. Push encoder to set track's level to 0 dB (as in Studio One).
• Channel: Encoder and Prev/next nav buttons move among tracks. (Not as in Live.)
• Master: Encoder controls Master level whether Master Track is shown or hidden. Can also click Master button and then Master Track to get fader to control it. Both encoder and fader control master level with Master button engaged and master track selected. Push the encoder to set level to 0 dB

Automation
• Touch: Saves project. So does Shift-touch (Latch)

Transport Controls: All work as designed in Faderport with these exceptions:
• Play/Pause only plays (Faderport is designed to use the play/pause button for both.)
• Rewind+Fast Forward does not return to zero (RTZ) as labeled.
• Pressing Rewind twice does not return to zero.

My conclusion is that these functions are sufficient to provide a useful supplement to the regular keyboard shortcuts to enhance the ergonomics of using Mixcraft.

Filter all this through the fact that I am a novice at all this. Please correct anything I've gotten wrong.