Kudos to Mixcraft !

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

starise

Kudos to Mixcraft !

Post by starise »

I am relatively new to recording video live. It's really been almost like a maze to me so far working around all of the different formats trying to determine what works best for online videos.

I wanted to share a few of my experiences which I think really shed a mighty positive light on Mixcraft 8 and also ask a question of two.

My go to program for this kind of thing has been Magix Vegas Movie studio Platinum 16.

My studio is cramped, so I decided to use my laptop so that I could be more portable with my video creations and I didn't want to be tied to anything like a Zoom for video or one of those cheap HD recorders. I have a gamer laptop that I think is in my sig here.

I have a few other video editing programs but they are all very basic when it comes to audio. Most won't even make a stereo track into a mono track.Vegas hosts plug ins so it's been ok until I moved from the big DAW to a lappy for my work.

Then things got weird.

I updated Vegas yesterday and to my dismay all it can do is give me exceptions when I attempt to capture a video with it. It captures but when asked to save it goes to **** and throws me these exceptions......so I guess it's off to Magix tech support.

In desperation I used an updated version of Logitech software made for my c920. It seemed to work great but only captures a stereo track and I only wanted a mono track. What to do???? Logitech software is also not very smart with audio . In addition it captures an mp4 with this nasty resonance in the compression algorithm. Most mp4 I listen to doesn't have this nasty ringing in the high end...listen to my recording you'll see what I mean.

What to do?? I opted to try several other better known commonly used programs to simply make a stereo track into a mono track, some basic editing and make something I could export to Youtube. In all cases only one program would do everything I needed it to do without issue.......Mixcraft!! Sure, It didn't remove the nasty resonance. No amount of filtering and/or EQ would really remove it without removing some of the tone. It's tough to paint a turd and make someone believe it's a banana.

I haven't looked at video capture capabilities in Mixcraft yet. IMHO Mixcraft should be marketed more heavily as a video program. I bought it mainly as a mixing/audio recording tool. Can I capture video in in using my video camera? What can I do to remove the nasty resonance in that Mp4 file? Thanks!

Here's an example of the resonance.

https://youtu.be/y9gu3E3y-RM
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
Ian Craig

Re: Kudos to Mixcraft !

Post by Ian Craig »

Hi,

I removed a frequency range I think it was from just below 5khz up to 7 or 8 khz to get rid of the buzzing and mixed it with a low level of the original. I uploaded the redone video to dropbox. If it doesn't work for you try removing stuff between 3-8khz to get rid of the problem.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwr92iulpsfq3 ... y.mp4?dl=0

PS. you can't capture video with Mixcraft and there are no video FX so it would be difficult to sell it as a video editor
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio (build 470) recording output using MRecorder
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz (40 GB Ram) & Intel i9 11th Gen 3.5 GHz (64GB Ram),
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 & 8i6
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Ian Craig wrote:PS. you can't capture video with Mixcraft and there are no video FX so it would be difficult to sell it as a video editor
Mixcraft does have some video effects, by the way.

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Ian Craig wrote:PS. you can't capture video with Mixcraft and there are no video FX so it would be difficult to sell it as a video editor
Mixcraft does have some video effects, by the way.

Those are filters Greg (except for the 2 kaleidoscope FX, only one of which works when rendered, and the flip effect). My point was things like waves and zoom and multiply rendered FX that work on rendering as well as when editing have to be sought in other software. My point is that it wouldn't sell as a video editor without those things being resolved. Please don't tell me to send in log files about it. I've posted this video about it but it hasn't been resolved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpEBBWHaOkc
P.S. I do use all these FX but they are limited by their failures to render as well as the choice limitations
Windows 10 Professional
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

I suppose one could call them filter effects. :wink:

I'm not saying that Mixcraft should be marketed as a video editor, we weren't trying for that. The video track is there so you can add a soundtrack to it.

Did we ever file a bug report on that kaleidoscope issue (from two years back!)? I don't think I can duplicate it here.

Greg
starise

Post by starise »

Thanks for that video Ian! I will give it a serious listen tomorrow.
Greg, I would say Mixcraft is heavily weighted towards video as compared to similar programs. Ableton only loads .mov files and doesn't seem to have any editing capability or very little. Cakewalk loads files for audio work but is extremely limited on any kind of video editing. That program actually made the most horrible noise you ever heard when I attempted to play the video I posted in it. Actually hurt my ears.It was able to make the stereo track mono in it though.

I haven't tried Studio One yet so I can't comment. I don't own Cubase but I would venture to guess they are pretty good because movie composers use it, however it costs five or six times more. The problem as I see it is that most programs are only strong on one thing. Vegas at least hosts plug in and is a basic audio mixer....but it doesn't work for me right now.Throws out exceptions when I try to save captured video. It isn't doing me much good if it doesn't work. For a Benjamin a person can have pretty much everything they need in Mixcraft to do all but the most pro stuff...I mean you can't make a CGI sci fi in it, but I don't need to. I think it is more than up to the task for most anything a musician would care to display....and as I say, when the rubber met the road it was the only program that did what I needed it to do without either crashing or lacking a feature I needed.

If Mixcraft was capable to capture video with a webcam I would be in heaven!
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
starise

Post by starise »

@Ian Craig
I listened to the video. You managed to remove a lot of the resonance stuff in it. Thank you very much!
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Did we ever file a bug report on that kaleidoscope issue (from two years back!)? I don't think I can duplicate it here.

Greg
Hi Greg,

I knew you'd start with that one again :lol: but I had to get my other computer back to make a further video demonstration in 2 parts to show how the problem is still there. If you look at both videos around the 30 second mark you can clearly see the difference between the two
https://youtu.be/hjW4udGDsa0
https://youtu.be/sEFEiA2AZNs
Windows 10 Professional
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,
I knew you'd start with that one again
You're the one who brought it up in this topic. :wink:

How do I get that to happen here?

Greg
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Acoustica Greg wrote:How do I get that to happen here?

Greg
:lol: Look you, stop winding me up :lol:
you put both kaleidoscope left and right on the same video clip, see how it looks. Right, then render it. See how it looks different to how it did when you edited it using the preview window. That's it. Please, no more silly questions :)
Windows 10 Professional
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

starise wrote:@Ian Craig
I listened to the video. You managed to remove a lot of the resonance stuff in it. Thank you very much!
I'm glad it helped :D
Windows 10 Professional
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

Ian Craig wrote:Please, no more silly questions
:roll: :roll: :roll:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

jlouvar wrote:
Ian Craig wrote:Please, no more silly questions
:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Hey Joe", he started it :D
Windows 10 Professional
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

@ Greg, thank you very much for all the work and help you provide to all of us Acoustica users. :D
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

jlouvar wrote:@ Greg, thank you very much for all the work and help you provide to all of us Acoustica users. :D

Obviously, this would be taken the wrong way as usual so I won't say it.
He wondered off thinking of what he would have said ...
"For your information, Greg is being paid, I am not and I was referring to me being expected to do all the work by him to demonstrate what I think should be obvious to someone who works for the company, but not only isn't, but has caused me, 2 years ago, to spend £60 to buy a video pass-through box [which burned out after 2 months] to make the original video, to get his questioning off my back, which he apparently didn't report as a bug, something that I cannot do myself, as when I followed the suggestion of connecting to Bugzilla I couldn't understand what was going on on the site, as it seems to be about reporting bugs for everything under the sun, so I see it as Greg's job to 'file bug reports' as I don't know how to do it"

No, I won't bother saying anything, it's a waste of time, he muttered :roll:
Windows 10 Professional