32 vs. 64 Bit Plugin Reference

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

sjoens

32 vs. 64 Bit Plugin Reference

Post by sjoens »

Hi, Unlike most people, I have and use both 32 and 64 bit MC8 on the same machine. (don't ask). As a result, I started having issues with plugins.

What I noticed after reconfiguring the plugin folders for 32 bit MC is that 64 bit MC uses the same folders.

This makes it hard for each version to use the proper plugins without reconfiguring the folders in Preferences each time I switch versions.

Is this normal and how do I rectify the issue?

Thanks!
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
bigaquarium

Re: 32 vs. 64 Bit Plugin Reference

Post by bigaquarium »

Morning,

One thing I’ve noticed is that MC takes a lot of plugin locations for granted that aren’t on the editable list, such as the factory plugins and the Steinberg “VSTPlugins” folders.

It would be nice to have total control over this, but on the flip side some VST developers make the choice for you. :x

-N
Benjamin Drew

Post by Benjamin Drew »

I'm not sureunderstand your issue. I have found that you can add different folders. I believe I added somewhere around 5 folders at one point for different plugin folder locations. I too use 32 and 64 bit plugins. Right now I have one for Program files x86 VST (32 bit) and Program files VST (64bit).
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

There are some installations that are more complex and best left alone as installed by the developers installers.
But the simple third party installations will tend to add locations that are unnecessary.
As @Benjamin Drew, I have found it best to take control and use those same two locations. The Steinberg folder for example is completely un-needed. And having multiple folders all over the place seems to hamper performance.
There is a third folder in my installation, "common folders" or whatever for vst3, but it seems it is also optional, helps with organization etc..... But as it stands at this time, beyond Melodyne's integration etc, I have found zero benefit in vst3 and plenty of buggy reasons to decide to not install or use them at this time unless an exception is found.
Currently in my case, I use 64 bit versions, have some 32 for legacy projects and collaboration reasons only. This approach has been working well in multiple DAW's for me. (Full disclosure, Mixcraft is my first choice. There are some very specific functions where another may be used, and some are installed largely for reasons that come up in collaborated projects etc.)
When using Mixcraft 64 bit, and using a plug-in where I have both 32 and 64 installed, Mixcraft loads the 64 bit version as desired. And like I said, 32 bit plugs are only used for old projects or Collabs where the other user has them loaded, or only 32 bit versions are available. Works for me! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

Thanks. So I'm stuck with listing both sets in each version?

I was trying to avoid that so each version would list only useable plugins (32 bit MC can't use 64 bit plugs). To do this there has to be a separate manager for each one like other DAWs have. Guess I'm spoiled.
Last edited by sjoens on Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, Legion laptop, Windows 11 64 bit, Mackie Onyx12 mixer/interface.
outteh

Post by outteh »

What you could do is create a folder for each set of plugins and point the 32 bit Mixcraft to the 32 bit folder and the 64 bit Mixcraft to the 64 bit folder in the preferences. Take out any other folder locations you don’t want. :D
sjoens

Post by sjoens »

That's exactly what I am unable to do. They both reference the same folders.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Not sure what you mean. You can move the .dll’s to any folder you want and then point Mixcraft to that folder. I don’t think there is a default folder that you can’t remove. If there is , then remove the .dll’s from the folder. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah, I am also at a loss. Not sure I understand the problem.

"Both reference the same folders"
I don't see any reason that's a bad thing.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Mark Bliss wrote:There is a third folder in my installation, "common folders" or whatever for vst3
Morning!

So far my experience has been that VST3s will not show up in Mixcraft unless they are in that third folder. I tried moving them to the Program Files/VST and Program Files x86/VST locations and no dice!

-N
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Morning,

One thing you could do is just go to File -> Manage plugins and just turn off the ones you don’t want in each version. This should accomplish your purpose.

-N
outteh

Post by outteh »

For Greg, does Mixcraft have a default vst folder that doesn’t show in the preferences tab. For example, if you took out all the folders in the vst preference tab, would you still show any vst’s in Mixcraft? :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

bigaquarium wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:There is a third folder in my installation, "common folders" or whatever for vst3
So far my experience has been that VST3s will not show up in Mixcraft unless they are in that third folder. I tried moving them to the Program Files/VST and Program Files x86/VST locations and no dice!
I don't have a problem with them "not showing up"
What I meant was that I have found little or no advantage to using them, and that I find they are often glitchy and crashy so I generally don't. The code shows potential promise and features, I just don't feel we are "there yet" so I am holding out.
I don't like wasting time on hassles, especially when I have options that work reliably. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
bigaquarium

Post by bigaquarium »

Mark Bliss wrote:
bigaquarium wrote:
I don't have a problem with them "not showing up"
What I meant was that I have found little or no advantage to using them, and that I find they are often glitchy and crashy so I generally don't. The code shows potential promise and features, I just don't feel we are "there yet" so I am holding out.
I don't like wasting time on hassles, especially when I have options that work reliably. 8)
Morning,

Understood. But then again, maybe frustration is inspirational in its own way? :D

-N
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Nah. Its non-productive. I easily get hyperfocused on fixing something that kills a bunch of time. Its silly when there are alternatives that just work. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page